New blog site

gapan
Salix Wizard

New blog site

Post by gapan »

You can read all about it at blog.salixos.org.

If you're using an RSS reader, please update your feed to the new one (found at the bottom of the blog page).
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Re: New blog site

Post by Van_Vinkle »

Congratulations, the new blog site looks nice...
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I like it, simple and clean!

Documentation in general is something that needs a lot of improvement in Slint.

Off topic: I just wrote two scripts allowing to install Slint, Slackware and hopefully Salix on an USB drive (hard disk or SSD), then doing the post kernel upgrade adaptation just running them. I hope to build on that on the future to ease Slint installation and update following a kernel update (using a generic kernel).

I am too tired to write a post here to explain that tonight, will do tomorrow. Meanwhile two links:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175640794/
http://slint.fr/testing/with_UUID/

Proposals for enhancement are of course warmly welcome ;)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Didier, I was aware, I saw the post on LQ. Didn't have the time to check them yet though. I promise I will!
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

gapan, the new blog looks great! The house is beginning to look even better with all the sprucing up. :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan, indeed, looking good!

Didier, should your script work with current, ie, does it matter which kernel you are running it under?

Regardless of that, this looks really useful.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

mimosa wrote: 26. Oct 2018, 08:18 Didier, should your script work with current, ie, does it matter which kernel you are running it under?
I have selected the modules to be loaded from the initrd from a 4.4 kernel. It is possible that in a newer kernel other modules have been added, but this won't hurt unless you have a very new hardware that needs one of these new modules.

I have built packages for kernel 4.19 using the sources from current yesterday and will check.

Other than that, the scripts should work with current. I didn't try, though.

Cheers,
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

DidierSpaier wrote: 26. Oct 2018, 09:40 I have built packages for kernel 4.19 using the sources from current yesterday and will check.
I just upgraded all kernel-related packages in my Slint system on an USB hard disk then ran the update script.

I got error messages on the console that I have never see before about kmod, so the system didn't start. Unfortunately theses messages are not in the logs, so to investigate I'd need to take pics of the screen. For now, stay with the kernels shipped in stable if you use these scripts.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hello,
DidierSpaier wrote: 26. Oct 2018, 10:21 I just upgraded all kernel-related packages in my Slint system on an USB hard disk then ran the update script.

I got error messages on the console that I have never see before about kmod, so the system didn't start. Unfortunately theses messages are not in the logs, so to investigate I'd need to take pics of the screen. For now, stay with the kernels shipped in stable if you use these scripts.
Bad news: I was silly enough to install a 32bit kernel on a 64bit system, that's what made kmod unhappy.
Good news: after having installed the right kernel everything works

I have also updated install_with_UUID.sh, including a bug fix and an added kernel module (also added to update_with_UUID.sh), so now you can safely upgrade to the kernel shipped in current then run this script.

Didier
Themis

Post by Themis »

(Long time no see… a ghost coming back here.)

The new blog site looks nice, gapan. Clean, simple. Perfect!