Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by gapan »

OK folks, here's the second alpha for 15.0. The first one had a few more bugs than I'm comfortable with, so here's to hoping this one will be better. A huge thanks to everyone that tested the first alpha and reported their issues, either in the forums or through email.

I think all the reported problems so far have been fixed. That includes the most important problem with the 64bit iso not being able to boot on most UEFI systems. I guess the most important change is that now, on UEFI systems, the iso boots using Grub instead of elilo. While I did fix booting with elilo, when using Grub the iso comes up about 65MB smaller than when using elilo, so I made the decision to switch. The default boot loader after installation is still elilo though.

I have also added additional languages in the installer. There were a few that were 100% complete and I hadn't noticed with the first alpha. These include Catalan, Portuguese (pt_BR and pt_PT), Hungarian, French, Polish and Turkish. So, try to make a test installation with your preferred locale (or even more than one if you speak multiple languages) and report if it worked or not. Unfortunately, the way gettext and dialog works in the installer means that a broken translation might break the installer, so we really need to test these out. In addition, some translations might not be fitting the installer, in the sense that they may be too long for their specific location. The translations would have to be shortened in these cases. So report these too if you find them.

I hadn't written an announcement for the first alpha, so I have to note that the system is not complete yet. Some stuff that you might expect to be there, are not. These include the salix-codecs-installer, guefi, spi and sourcery packages. There are some issues to figure out with the first two and there might be a change of direction with spi and sourcery. We'll see...

Also, looks are not final. Feel free to make suggestions.

Here's to another round of testing then. I hope this time it goes better!

Salix64 Xfce 15.0alpha2 (64-bit, x86_64)
(md5: e7404de3b2f8c2df70226f2ed0f44d74, size: 1.4GB)
https://downloads.sourceforge.net/proje ... alpha2.iso

Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2 (32-bit, i586/i686)
(md5: 0b8b8516c0a1d664e33d8cb0bb90c142, size: 1.4GB)
https://downloads.sourceforge.net/proje ... alpha2.iso

Please include the following information if you report something:
* 32bit or 64bit iso
* UEFI or BIOS (in case of 64bit iso)
* Language during installation

Thank you for testing!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by gapan »

Oops, just noticed that I had linked to alpha1 instead. Fixed the links now.
ibka

Post by ibka »

Hi

Just installed the alpha2, and now the keyboard works at the prompt after boot up as i reported here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8333&start=20#p47128 and Gsalpt is in Swedish.
I found another issue but don't know if this is a Salix or XFCE problem, if i change the mouse settings to left hand it don't change the mouse to left hand.

So far so good.

Computer:
* 64-bit ISO
* Bios
* Swedish
* Full installation
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Congratulations to gapan for the very good work he has done. !!!!

1. I installed the 64bit alpha2 iso using Greek language in vmware. Everything went fine.
Just one note for the installer. This has to do with elilo package where the string in Greek "Ο ELILO είναι ένα πρόγραμμα φόρτωσης εκκίνησης του Linux για συστήματα που βασίζονται στο EFI. Η εγκατάσταση του ELILO θα σας επιτρέπει να εκκινείτε το σύστημά σας με το Linux από τον σκληρό δίσκο, αφού πρώτα θα τον έχετε επιλέξει από το μενού εκκίνησης του UEFI. Επειδή εντοπίσθηκε μια Κατάτμηση Συστήματος EFI σε αυτό το μηχάνημα, συστήνεται να εγκαταστήσετε τον ELILO τώρα. Παρακαλώ κάντε μια επιλογή:"

because is big appeared as "Ο ELILO είναι ένα πρόγραμμα φόρτωσης εκκίνησης του Linux για συστήματα που βασίζονται στο EFI. Η εγκατάσταση του"
without the rest. It is not worth but i just mention it.

2. I think it is vmware problem because after enable the sound card in vmware i have to rise up volume. It is set to 0. So don't pay attention.
Edit: After reboot sound was set at 100% as i left it.

I like to make two suggestions.
1. Get the pasystray package compiled for salix-15.0 and include it in iso. So the volume icon will appeared in the panel and user easily can control the sound.

2. Get also the fbxkb package also compiled for salix-15.0 and include it in iso. So the keyboard US flag will appeared in the panel and user with alt_shift will go to Greek and Greek flag will show.

Again Congratulations for the very good work.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Successfully installed (using ext4 rather than the default) with no problems this time. I'll settle in and try and use it as much as possible over the next few days to see what if anything comes up!

It's possible some people might be a bit confused about whether to install LILO. Does the wording of that screen come from Slackware?

I went with ELILO, of course, and added a boot menu entry. The alpha now boots as the default, but the other entries are still there and work correctly. It would be good to have a custom rEFInd package on the iso (maybe it is, I will have a look).

I really like the login screen.

The install USB still won't boot on the old laptop (64 bits, no EFI), but it can be a bit temperamental.

It's a little early, but I'll be having a nice cool glass of white wine to celebrate. Thanks gapan for all your hard work so far.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 15:28 The install USB still won't boot on the old laptop (64 bits, no EFI), but it can be a bit temperamental.
mimosa, what do you mean? You create a boot usb with what script. And try to boot from it to do the installation? Please explain ?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I just dd'd the iso to the USB. Works fine on my main box (I'm writing to you from the successful installation).

I saw your suggestion for a fix, but haven't tried it, because presumably it's supposed to work without that, or using a script. I don't actually want to install on the laptop, just testing :D
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

As a side note, I posted recently about audio problems:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8325&p=47042#p47042
In my Salix alpha install, I installed AlienBob's vlc package from here (with included codecs):
https://slackware.uk/people/alien/restr ... kg64/15.0/
And the sound problem appears to be solved!
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 16:01 I just dd'd the iso to the USB. Works fine on my main box (I'm writing to you from the successful installation).

I saw your suggestion for a fix, but haven't tried it, because presumably it's supposed to work without that, or using a script. I don't actually want to install on the laptop, just testing :D
1. My suggestion was not for booting usb but for the already solved problem of alpha1 for booting in UEFI.
2. I never use dd'd. What i did. I used the unetbootin and made a bootable salix64-15.0 usb. Then i booted with it on my laptop. I always get two options in the UEFI menu. UEFI usb and usb hdd. The first option boot in UEFI and the second using isolinux. The second is for 64bit laptops which do not support pure UEFI. So use the second option in boot menu to boot.
Edit: The second option is also for booting and installing from usb the 32bit version of salix in a 64bit system.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I think I may have fixed the issues with gtkhostname. I have just uploaded a new salixtools-gtk-2.4.0 package. You should be able to get it once mirrors sync. Please report back if you try it out.