Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Papasot
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by Papasot »

mimosa wrote: 12. May 2022, 21:14 It would be nice to have Wicd too, assuming it does not take up too much space?

NM covers more bases, but in most setups, Wicd works better.
I would like that too but as djemos said, sadly it doesn't work anymore. It used to work, but since July 2021 dbus-python was updated and Wicd is not compatible with the new version. I use connman on Slackel for about 2 years now, and it works just fine. For an applet, connman-gtk is simple and functional, plus it fits with the overall "GTK-ness" of XFCE. Alternatively, you can use use cmst as an applet, which offers more GUI functionality (not that you can't configure connman in a terminal anyway). cmst is Qt-based but doesn't seem to burden the system (I have seen lightweight-distributions using cmst as an applet/GUI for connman).

I will use connman and connman-gtk on Salix 15 as well.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote: 7. May 2022, 15:35 Finally, I have a proper solution for this now.

In fact, I don't think what djemos suggests is secure. It allows anyone in the wheel group to run anything with root privileges using pkexec, without using any kind of authentication.

The whole problem started because the PAM settings that lightdm installed were incomplete and prevented any polkit agent from running, so even if polkit-gnome was installed, it didn't actually do anything. I have now updated the lightdm packages and also added a new package

So, follow the next steps:
1. Install the new salix-polkit-settings package
2. Upgrade to the new lightdm-1.30.0 (3gv) package.
3. Run dotnew and accept all new lightdm settings files
4. (optional and irrelevant to this issue) Install the qogir-icon-theme package, because it's the default in the updated lightdm-gtk-settings package
5. Reboot or log out/log in.

and this should give you a working pkexec, and you should get a prompt for your password if you are in the wheel group whenever you're trying to run anything with elevated privileges through polkit.https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ascii+up+arro ... =g&ia=webt
I did the above and now I get the below dialog box every time I log in.

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laprjns wrote: 15. May 2022, 23:33 I did the above and now I get the below dialog box every time I log in.
Hi laprjns, this should be fixed if you update to the latest packages in the repos. I fixed those yesterday. Those should be salix-polkit-settings-15.0-noarch-2gv.txz and lightdm-1.30.0-x86_64-5gv.txz.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote: 16. May 2022, 05:32 Those should be salix-polkit-settings-15.0-noarch-2gv.txz and lightdm-1.30.0-x86_64-5gv.txz.
Hi gapan and congratulations on the Salix 15 alpha release. They are already installed and I still get the authentication dialog box.

Code: Select all

rich[~]$ sudo slapt-get --se salix-polkit-settings lightdm
salix-polkit-settings-15.0-noarch-2gv [inst=yes]: salix-polkit-settings (default settings for PolicyKit)
lightdm-1.30.0-x86_64-5gv [inst=yes]: lightdm (a cross-desktop display manager)
lightdm-gtk-greeter-2.0.8-x86_64-6gv [inst=yes]: lightdm-gtk-greeter (a greeter that has moderate requirements)
lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings-1.2.2-x86_64-2gv [inst=yes]: lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings (LightDM GTK+ Greeter configuration tool)
rich[~]$ 

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That is strange. What do you see with:

ls -l /usr/share/polkit-1/
The rules.d directory should belong to polkitd:root and have 700 permissions.
tkor

Post by tkor »

Hi to all, this is my first post. I successfully installed alpha2 to my test laptop. (MacBook Pro 2012) the only problem was the wifi didn't work out of the box.
So I install this two slackbuilds (b43-fwcutter and b43-fwcutter) and everything is ok now http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=b43&sv=15.0.
Multimedia keys don't work out of the box, and I haven't found any solution yet. I will be back with the solution and if I have any other bugs-errors-problems.
I apologize for my English, but I haven't used them for a long time.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

tkor wrote: 16. May 2022, 19:39 Hi to all, this is my first post. I successfully installed alpha2 to my test laptop. (MacBook Pro 2012) the only problem was the wifi didn't work out of the box.
So I install this two slackbuilds (b43-fwcutter and b43-fwcutter) and everything is ok now http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=b43&sv=15.0.
Multimedia keys don't work out of the box, and I haven't found any solution yet. I will be back with the solution and if I have any other bugs-errors-problems.
I apologize for my English, but I haven't used them for a long time.
Welcome tkor!

This is the first report as far as I know for an installation of 15.0 to a macbook. Thanks!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laprjns wrote: 15. May 2022, 23:33 I did the above and now I get the below dialog box every time I log in.
Oh, I just noticed that your message is about laptop display brightness. It's quite possible we need to account for that too in the salix-polkit-settings package. Can you press "Details" and tell me what it shows?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote: 16. May 2022, 21:23 Can you press "Details" and tell me what it shows?
I can!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laprjns wrote: 16. May 2022, 22:52
gapan wrote: 16. May 2022, 21:23 Can you press "Details" and tell me what it shows?
I can!
Can you try adding a file /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/40-org.xfce-power.rules with the following contents?

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (action.id == "org.xfce.power.backlight-helper" &&
        subject.active == true && subject.local == true &&
        subject.isInGroup("users")) {
            return polkit.Result.YES;
    }

return polkit.Result.NOT_HANDLED;
});

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (action.id == "org.xfce.power.xfce4-pm-helper" &&
        subject.active == true && subject.local == true &&