Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by mimosa »

Screen blacks out after some minutes while watching video. I can't remember if a tweak was needed but anyway, doesn't happen in 14.2. Moving the mouse brings it back.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote: 26. Apr 2022, 07:54 Screen blacks out after some minutes while watching video. I can't remember if a tweak was needed but anyway, doesn't happen in 14.2. Moving the mouse brings it back.
Can you try

Code: Select all

xset s noblank
hugok

Post by hugok »

I made some spelling corrections in the translation of pt and pt_PT languages in https://www.transifex.com/gapan/salix/salix-installer/

I also finished the recent additions to the salixtools-gtk translations.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan wrote: 26. Apr 2022, 08:53
mimosa wrote: 26. Apr 2022, 07:54 Screen blacks out after some minutes while watching video. I can't remember if a tweak was needed but anyway, doesn't happen in 14.2. Moving the mouse brings it back.
Can you try

xset s noblank
That seems to have done the trick, and still works after reboot. But it's possible I jiggled the mouse without realising!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

thunar won't open other partitions (though it will open external storage). Perhaps this is as expected? I tried calling it as root and that didn't work either.

When I click "open" it just does nothing, if I click mount, there is a message saying not authorised.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You mean partitions in your hard drive? Yes, you need to mount them with sudo, or in fstab, as these are not removable drives. It has always been like that.
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

post by mimosa » 30. Apr 2022, 11:04
thunar won't open other partitions (though it will open external storage). Perhaps this is as expected? I tried calling it as root and that didn't work either.

When I click "open" it just does nothing, if I click mount, there is a message saying not authorised.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hello mimossa,

look with gparted if you partiton is mounted ( a key is drawn in front of the partitions that are mounted ) , if yes , i think you should look your /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/

did you have access to this partition with salix 14.2? this patition was created with another distribution? you use mbr or gpt?

remember, not more 4 partitions on mbr disk.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote: 30. Apr 2022, 09:04 thunar won't open other partitions (though it will open external storage). Perhaps this is as expected? I tried calling it as root and that didn't work either.

When I click "open" it just does nothing, if I click mount, there is a message saying not authorized.
Copy the lines bellow and save them in a file 49-nopasswd_global.rules
Copy 49-nopasswd_global.rules file to /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/ or to /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/

/* Allow members of the wheel group to execute any actions
 * without password authentication, similar to "sudo NOPASSWD:"
 */
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (subject.isInGroup("wheel")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});

/* Allow members of the polkitd group to execute any actions
 * without password authentication, similar to "sudo NOPASSWD:"
 */
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    if (subject.isInGroup("polkitd")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});
This has been checked on Salix64-alpha2.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks djemos, yes, it works. Is this secure though? What else does it allow me to do apart from opening unmounted partitions in Thunar?

Obviously it's handy to be able to do that, but I imagine there must be some reason the default behaviour is as it is.

What would make sense would be if Thunar requested a password to open them, rather than just refusing. But I can certainly live with the status quo - I just wasn't sure that was how it was meant to be.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote: 2. May 2022, 14:27 Thanks djemos, yes, it works. Is this secure though? What else does it allow me to do apart from opening unmounted partitions in Thunar?

Obviously it's handy to be able to do that, but I imagine there must be some reason the default behaviour is as it is.

What would make sense would be if Thunar requested a password to open them, rather than just refusing. But I can certainly live with the status quo - I just wasn't sure that was how it was meant to be.
Yes it is secure. The first user created at installation is a super user who belongs to wheel group and also to polkitd group. This is the default.
The above rule gives the privilege to user belong to polkitd group to mount partitions and only the first user has this privilege.
There is no reason for the default behaviour. It is just as how things are on slackware. In thunar-volman-settings there is no option for mounting partitions in your hard drive.
I use this rule in slackel to open partitions in pcmanfm. It is also used in salixlive-xfce-14.2.1