Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote: 22. Apr 2022, 18:10 I didn't report this because I assume it is a known problem (no codecs) but video doesn't work with the default application. It does work with both vlc and mpv.
Yes, that's expected for now. But if you would post some info on the video's details (codecs) it would be helpful.
salpek

Post by salpek »

gapan wrote: 16. Apr 2022, 10:07 I have also added additional languages in the installer. There were a few that were 100% complete and I hadn't noticed with the first alpha. These include Catalan, Portuguese (pt_BR and pt_PT), Hungarian, French, Polish and Turkish. So, try to make a test installation with your preferred locale (or even more than one if you speak multiple languages) and report if it worked or not. Unfortunately, the way gettext and dialog works in the installer means that a broken translation might break the installer, so we really need to test these out. In addition, some translations might not be fitting the installer, in the sense that they may be too long for their specific location. The translations would have to be shortened in these cases. So report these too if you find them.
Several mistakes and typos in Polish translation:

In addition, the basic installation in VirtualBox trouble-free. At first glance, everything works, translation correct.
Many thanks for Salix OS!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

salpek wrote: 22. Apr 2022, 22:26 Several mistakes and typos in Polish translation:
Thanks and welcome! Can you fix them over at transifex? https://www.transifex.com/gapan/salix/salix-installer/
salpek

Post by salpek »

gapan wrote: 23. Apr 2022, 07:50
salpek wrote: 22. Apr 2022, 22:26 Several mistakes and typos in Polish translation:
Thanks and welcome! Can you fix them over at transifex? https://www.transifex.com/gapan/salix/salix-installer/
Done ;)

Code: Select all

salix-installer
eliloconfig
gtkman
guefi
liloconfig
lilosetup
live-bootmenu
live-installer
persistence-wizard
salix-codecs-installer
salix-update-notifier
sourcery
spi
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Thank you salpek!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan wrote: 22. Apr 2022, 18:32
mimosa wrote: 22. Apr 2022, 18:10 I didn't report this because I assume it is a known problem (no codecs) but video doesn't work with the default application. It does work with both vlc and mpv.
Yes, that's expected for now. But if you would post some info on the video's details (codecs) it would be helpful.
Parole complains about the absence of "H.264 High profile decoder" ( or in some cases "Baseline profile"). mpv opens and plays both by double clicking on the file and selecting mpv as the player, and from the command line. vlc (alien's package) only works from the command line.

I have tried a number of other files, and .avi needs "MPEG-4". (The others were .mkv or .mp4, both require H.264).

Out of curiosity I had a rummage in Gslapt, and installed the 'x264' package, but still nothing plays with parole.
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

By the way, I've just noticed with gslapt.

After selecting packages, then "Execute", a confirmation window pops up. I had not taken enough notice before, but I see in the middle box no entry on which package to be installed/reinstalled/removed. Continuing with "OK" installs/reinstalls/uninstalls the selected packages correctly,

64-bit iso USB (to a new computer I got on Friday!)
UEFI (I forgot to create the right partition the first time, so I had to restart the installation process after reading up on what to do with UEFI installation... Perhaps something to mention in the start up guide in the future.)
US English
Full Installation
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

tsuren wrote: 24. Apr 2022, 22:36 After selecting packages, then "Execute", a confirmation window pops up. I had not taken enough notice before, but I see in the middle box no entry on which package to be installed/reinstalled/removed. Continuing with "OK" installs/reinstalls/uninstalls the selected packages correctly,
Ah, don't worry. It must be my setting somewhere. The problem is with my fluxbox. On xfce4 it works as expected...

Edit: and it works now in fluxbox as well... I could not see the icon to expand.
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

mimosa wrote: 17. Apr 2022, 08:32 Is anyone else experiencing X server crashes? I have had those with my Slackware 15 installation too, and thought it could be a hardware problem. But it just happened again, and for the first time, I saw a relevant message (unfortunately I didn't write it down) something about consolekit and Freedesktop and no .service. I logged in on tty1 and 'startx', and then I couldn't get back to where I could see the message.
It happened again, and I was able to write down the message:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Failed to open CK session: GDBus.Error.org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Serviceunknown: The name org.freedesktop.Consolekit was not provided by any .service files
I was playing video on vlc at the time, it continued to respond to keypresses (for example, jumping forward and back, reflected in the audio). So vlc did not crash.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, that's not the error that caused it. That's just a warning, it doesn't really matter much.