Salix Xfce 15.0beta1

Papasot
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0beta1

Post by Papasot »

EricC wrote: 28. May 2022, 16:37 Xfce panel size
The default panel row size of 30, changed Web Browser icon to something that is hard to decipher. If you change the panel row size to 36, the Web Browser icon returns to what I consider normal.
There is no need to increase panel's row size - not to mention 30 was the default size in 14.2 and making it bigger just because one icon in one specific theme looks weird doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
I think the reason for the weird look is this: At default panel row size (30), the icon is probably taken from
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/24/actions/web-browser.svg and it is just a link to
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/24/actions/network-connect.svg which is not what you would expect. The icon you expect does not exist in that directory. However when you increase the panel row size to 36 the icon is
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/32/apps/web-broser.svg which is also a link, but points to
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/32/apps/internet-web-browser.svg, and that's exactly the icon you see in the panel with increased row size.
My solution: either modify the icon theme so that /usr/share/icons/Qogir/24/actions/web-browser.svg points to a more appropriate icon, or just change the icon with right-click->Properties. Icons such as org.xfce.webbrowser or just plain firefox icon work at the default panel size.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
EricC

Post by EricC »

I wasn't implying the default panel size should be changed. I was just pointing out what I see at panel size 30 and the icon I would expect to see appeared at size 36. I am merely trying to give Gapan a point of reference so he could understand what I was referring to. I agree with you as to the cause.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote: 28. May 2022, 13:50 Installation was straightforward (64 bit, UK English). The installer wouldn't install over my guest OS, though, even when I changed the partition type from 8303 (which is what MX Linux did) to 8300. I had to delete the partition and create a new one, which might have been awkward had this not been the last partition on that disk.
Hi mimosa, I'm not sure I understand. What exactly do you mean "install over my guest OS"? You mean that the installer couldn't format that partition?
mimosa wrote: 28. May 2022, 13:50 My setup has two hard disks, with an efi partition on each, but the installer only gave me the option of using the one on the disk I was installing to. rEFInd can see everything though.
Yes, the installer chooses the first EFI partition it finds. Slackware does the same.
mimosa wrote: 28. May 2022, 13:50 I couldn't find the NM tray icon, but managed to connect to wifi using the "advanced" network configuration.
That's probably because the NM tray icon is grey when not connected?

mimosa wrote: 28. May 2022, 13:50 The tray icons for leafpad and browser don't seem intuitive to me - is the first one meant to be a pencil? In the alpha I think they were application-specific, with a nice green leaf, and the Mozilla globe.
I agree about the web browser icon. I don't find the editor icon too bad myself. (yes, that's a pencil)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

hugok wrote: 28. May 2022, 14:06 Nice overall artwork. Just find the window controls a bit small and tight l(minimize, maximize, close buttons) in the default theme.
The browser icon in the panel seems strange.
I updated the salix-xfwm4-theme package earlier today. I think it should be OK now.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Papasot wrote: 28. May 2022, 14:35 Now that we have reached beta, I wonder if there will be a "contributed packages" period, as when 14.2 reached beta. People familiar with Salix packaging tools could upload well-tested extra packages and post the corresponding output of slkbuild-postgen in Sourceforge so that those packages could be included in the final release.
Hmmm... I guess you can do that already if you want. Just keep in mind that I have a few thousand packages waiting to be uploaded... :roll: I'll probably upload a batch of about 1500 packages today. The plan is to build almost everything on SBo, so if your package is on SBo, it will most probably uploaded sooner or later anyway.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The default panel row size of 30, changed Web Browser icon to something that is hard to decipher. If you change the panel row size to 36, the Web Browser icon returns to what I consider normal.
Papasot wrote: 28. May 2022, 20:40
There is no need to increase panel's row size - not to mention 30 was the default size in 14.2 and making it bigger just because one icon in one specific theme looks weird doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
I think the reason for the weird look is this: At default panel row size (30), the icon is probably taken from
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/24/actions/web-browser.svg and it is just a link to
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/24/actions/network-connect.svg which is not what you would expect. The icon you expect does not exist in that directory. However when you increase the panel row size to 36 the icon is
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/32/apps/web-broser.svg which is also a link, but points to
/usr/share/icons/Qogir/32/apps/internet-web-browser.svg, and that's exactly the icon you see in the panel with increased row size.
My solution: either modify the icon theme so that /usr/share/icons/Qogir/24/actions/web-browser.svg points to a more appropriate icon, or just change the icon with right-click->Properties. Icons such as org.xfce.webbrowser or just plain firefox icon work at the default panel size.
Thank you both. I think I'll just replace that icon with org.xfce.webbrowser.
sjox
Donor

Post by sjox »

Hi Gapan!
I found only two "problems" that I would like to mention:
a)
I got the following message using dmesg:
platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[ 4.441436] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
This could be fixed by installing crda (Central Regulatory Domain Agent - whatever that is)!
b)
There are no help files for the respective languages for Libreoffice!

You write further
"With respect to Sourcery and spi, these tools are probably not going to make it to 15.0."
That's sad - does that mean that "slapt-src" will no longer be included?
It's true slapt-src is a bit of a pain but still it helps because there are just no ready packages!
(zpaq, pdftk, pdfgrep, mp3diags, tesseract, etherape, Virtualbox...)
A few installations made minor problems, but could be fixed.
For example:
for "mp3diags" "qmake" could not be found (was fixed by "ln -s /usr/lib64/qt4/bin/qmake /usr/bin/qmake")
or
"gcc5" which I had to get from "https://slackonly.com/" because of "pdftk".
and so on...

But I am also aware that SBO cannot be maintained by Salix as well!!!
With "flatpak" I still have to make friends first!

Great work!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sjox wrote: 29. May 2022, 16:27 Hi Gapan!
I found only two "problems" that I would like to mention:
a)
I got the following message using dmesg:
platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[ 4.441436] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
This could be fixed by installing crda (Central Regulatory Domain Agent - whatever that is)!
Thanks! I'll take care of that.
sjox wrote: 29. May 2022, 16:27 b)
There are no help files for the respective languages for Libreoffice!
Yes, these will be added later.
sjox wrote: 29. May 2022, 16:27 You write further
"With respect to Sourcery and spi, these tools are probably not going to make it to 15.0."
That's sad - does that mean that "slapt-src" will no longer be included?
It's true slapt-src is a bit of a pain but still it helps because there are just no ready packages!
slapt-src is still going to be available.
sjox wrote: 29. May 2022, 16:27 A few installations made minor problems, but could be fixed.
For example:
for "mp3diags" "qmake" could not be found (was fixed by "ln -s /usr/lib64/qt4/bin/qmake /usr/bin/qmake")
I don't think so. qt5 should be the default now and its own version of qmake should be the one to use. If you want to use another, then you'll have to specify it. So the mp3diags packager at sbo should have to fix that.
sjox wrote: 29. May 2022, 16:27 "gcc5" which I had to get from "https://slackonly.com/" because of "pdftk".
and so on...
Having an entire gcc installation just for running pdftk is more than overkill. Maybe I'll try to do something about pdftk, because I used it a lot as well. But now I think qpdf can do most of what pdftk did.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan wrote: 29. May 2022, 16:03
mimosa wrote: 28. May 2022, 13:50 Installation was straightforward (64 bit, UK English). The installer wouldn't install over my guest OS, though, even when I changed the partition type from 8303 (which is what MX Linux did) to 8300. I had to delete the partition and create a new one, which might have been awkward had this not been the last partition on that disk.
Hi mimosa, I'm not sure I understand. What exactly do you mean "install over my guest OS"? You mean that the installer couldn't format that partition?

It didn't offer that partition to me as an option, which I attributed to the 8303. But even when I changed it to 8300, it still wouldn't. So I deleted the partition in cfdisk (or whatever it is) and created a new one.

mimosa wrote: 28. May 2022, 13:50 I couldn't find the NM tray icon, but managed to connect to wifi using the "advanced" network configuration.
That's probably because the NM tray icon is grey when not connected?

Well possibly ... I couldn't see it at all. Also Ithink there used to be a menu entry that would take you to it, but I could only find the "advanced" one, which doesn't detect available ESSIDs.

mimosa wrote: 28. May 2022, 13:50 The tray icons for leafpad and browser don't seem intuitive to me - is the first one meant to be a pencil? In the alpha I think they were application-specific, with a nice green leaf, and the Mozilla globe.
I agree about the web browser icon. I don't find the editor icon too bad myself. (yes, that's a pencil)
Your eyesight may be better than mine!
hugok

Post by hugok »

gapan wrote: 29. May 2022, 16:04
hugok wrote: 28. May 2022, 14:06 Nice overall artwork. Just find the window controls a bit small and tight l(minimize, maximize, close buttons) in the default theme.
The browser icon in the panel seems strange.
I updated the salix-xfwm4-theme package earlier today. I think it should be OK now.
Yes, much better now.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79