Salix Xfce 15.0beta1

Papasot
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0beta1

Post by Papasot »

gapan wrote: 9. Jun 2022, 11:52 It's just that gnome applications have gotten rid of application menus to shove them into the abomination that is hamburger menus.
Indeed. "Abomination" is the perfect word to describe this crap.

gapan wrote: 8. Jun 2022, 17:26We're not using a dark panel (or anything else "dark") in the default desktop and that's final
I also like dark themes because if find them easy on my eyes, but qogir-dark (or something similar) is just two mouse clicks away. And I still think a light panel is probably a better choice for a default panel, even though I don't personally like light themes.

missTell wrote: 8. Jun 2022, 18:18 Liking or not liking an icon set is a matter of taste.
Working or not working is a matter of fact.
It depends on how you define "working" - your definition seems to be "nothing is working unless it is exactly as I want it to be; everything else is broken". :D
I didn't like the default theme in Salix 14.2 much; instead of complaining or demanding the default theme to be what I want it to be, I just modified it to my liking. I will do the same in Salix 15 (in fact, I already did that). Where is the big deal? And even if you don't want to get into the "trouble" of modifying a theme yourself, there are literally thousands of themes out there. You have choices, and that's how GNU/Linux works.
However, judging from what I read, I can easily conclude you will think all the themes out there are "broken" - and even if you make your own themes you probably won't like them either. :roll:

Honestly, why people are so keen on specific themes, anyway? The important part is to just make sure rock-solid stability is there, as it is in Salix 14.2. The rest is... well, details (although I understand even those details can be a time consuming headache to developers). On that note I replaced many of the packages I compiled myself since alpha2 with the ones that are now available in Salix 15 repos - and they work very well (there are still a few that are missing so I will have to either ask for them to be included or I will just use an auxiliary personal repo).
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
missTell

Post by missTell »

Papasot wrote: 9. Jun 2022, 14:45 Where is the big deal?
There are better or worse default settings -- better are better.
Better default settings are not a matter of personal taste, but a matter of 'more suitable for most'.
One should always try to make a 'more suitable for most' defaults, and offer an alternative for those who want some worse defaults.

It should be good by default, and easy to make it bad -- if someone wants it -- not the other way round. ;)
Design is one thing, the functionality the other. White stripe on a dark background or a dark stripe on a light background disturbs the most people.
But if you can't see the difference, you also can't blame anybody but yourself -- for not being able to see the difference. ;)

Kinda sad that you need me to tell something as easy as that.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

missTell wrote: 9. Jun 2022, 16:19Kinda sad that you need me to tell something as easy as that.
Actually, I don't need you to tell me anything. But I have a feeling you will keep "enlightening" all of us with details of the details concerning one pixel missing in a specific icon at a specific icon theme - while you will keep missing the point completely.
Now if you excuse me, I still have to test some of my own packages to see if they work in 15.0beta1. And I consider that more important than wasting my time with your precious lost pixel. Any further reply from you to me will remain unanswered, so feel free to keep that "you need me to tell you simple things" attitude for as much as you like.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
deniro

Post by deniro »

Have tried beta01 in short sessions. Looking very good :P
Will test this weekend for a lot more.

2 minor issues that I have encountered:

- when starting nano, it complains about "invalid backup directory ~/.nanobackups
So I had to create " ~/.nanobackups" and "/root/.nanobackups" manually.

- /etc/slapt-get/slapt-srcrc
this file had no links to any proper slackbuild data.
I've set it to https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/15.0/

But perhaps there is a reason why it is not by default pointing to repository of slackware 15 slackbuilds?

Anyway, really minor issues till now. Probably going to install it on my main laptop this weekend, and use alienbobs ffmpeg as a temp workaround for converting multimedia.
missTell

Post by missTell »

Papasot wrote: 10. Jun 2022, 10:53 Actually, I don't need you to tell me anything. But I have a feeling you will keep "enlightening" all of us with details of the details concerning one pixel missing in a specific icon at a specific icon theme - while you will keep missing the point completely.
Now if you excuse me, I still have to test some of my own packages to see if they work in 15.0beta1. And I consider that more important than wasting my time with your precious lost pixel. Any further reply from you to me will remain unanswered, so feel free to keep that "you need me to tell you simple things" attitude for as much as you like.
The people who've no time, shouldn't spend what they don't have in some forums.

I know nothing about the packaging, and so I'm simply not commenting.

You know nothing about 'one pixel', but despite, you are ...

I like Mark Twain ...

"To be good is noble, but to teach others how to be good is nobler and less trouble."

... except when they are learn-resistant.

Again something to learn. ;)
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
missTell

Post by missTell »

gapan wrote: 8. Jun 2022, 17:26
missTell wrote: 7. Jun 2022, 13:40 This second Newaita-Breeze icon also breaks past 48 Px taskbar height, but that's Xfce (extension) issue (that could be easily fixed).
I don't like it as much.
Still, you could include it as an additional icon set for the people who'd eventually like some colors.
gapan wrote: 9. Jun 2022, 11:32
missTell wrote: 9. Jun 2022, 11:07 With other words, if you want to get rid of rounded corners, you must get rid of Adwaita.
I have already forked adwaita and turned all menus and buttons to squares. Here's a screenshot:
https://people.salixos.org/gapan/img/square_adwaita.png
Just remember to rename into something like 'Adwaita_Salix', so it has no chance to create a mess.

And again, it wouldn't heart to include an additional theme (which can't be downloaded anywhere) for those who ...
gapan wrote: 8. Jun 2022, 17:26 I can probably think of some ways to fix this for all icons. I'll try
As of Qogir and its current state in Salix 15 beta 1 ...

This is what we get right now -- call it 'inconsistent' -- I prefer 'plain ugly'.

https://ibb.co/Lz33dt1

Three icons, one .desktop file and a few symlinks later, it looks like this:

https://ibb.co/Ptk1yQN

A text file will show what did I change.

Download: https://gofile.io/d/RBE9xy

There are also some additional icons in 'extras' and 'alternate' ...

BTW, in the start menu, there are 'Settings' and 'System' (settings).
Maybe you could find a way to move that all in Xfce settings panel, 'cause as-is, it doesn't really make much sense.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I have uploaded a new salix-gtk-theme package. If your mirror has synced you can get it with slapt-get/gslapt. Then just choose the "Salix" theme. There is also a dark variant.

I'm still not 100% sure about the square buttons. And the GTK+2 theme could use some adjustments.
missTell

Post by missTell »

gapan wrote: 10. Jun 2022, 16:38 I have uploaded a new salix-gtk-theme package. If your mirror has synced you can get it with slapt-get/gslapt. Then just choose the "Salix" theme. There is also a dark variant.
There are 2 (two) variants.

The first variant is the light one and is usable for 1 % of "human beings".

https://ibb.co/rw42v1b

The second variant is the dark one and is usable for 1 %, of the 1 % of "human beings".

https://ibb.co/t8LdDkJ

The third variant, which is not included, is the one that is most suitable and best looking for the 98.9 %.

https://ibb.co/D7qJJdQ

Apropos buttons, I wouldn't make them square, but it's not up to me.

(If square start menu & window, then square elements on the taskbar is a must!)

You will use whatever you will use, or not, but keep in mind the bad, the better, the best.

* If someone has objections about "human beings", discuss with Ubuntu about one of the best slogans ever.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

gapan wrote: 10. Jun 2022, 16:38Then just choose the "Salix" theme. There is also a dark variant.
I like both, will settle with Salix-dark - you know, the so-called "usable for the 1% of the 1% of human beings", but I don't care what others think, it's nice.
missTell

Post by missTell »

Papasot wrote: 13. Jun 2022, 19:35
gapan wrote: 10. Jun 2022, 16:38Then just choose the "Salix" theme. There is also a dark variant.
I like both, will settle with Salix-dark - you know, the so-called "usable for the 1% of the 1% of human beings", but I don't care what others think, it's nice.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I am not surprised when you and most of the other people in some forums are not capable of understanding my writings.

A most essential mistake that you and all those others are making is, you all look at the things only from your own perspective.

However, the computer GUI's are not only a matter of someones personal taste -- it is a matter of science and -- scientific research.

Most computers on this planet are used in companies, and many countries have regulations on how (ergonomic) workplace must look like.

Try to make a search, something like: https://www.google.com/search?q=compute ... cs+studies

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _evolution

Your opinion against the decades of scientific research? Try to think about it ... (and stop provoking).

P. S. Apropos animal pictures, I tried to avoid using the pet picture, as not many would appreciate it.

It would most likely look something like:

https://media.cntraveler.com/photos/595 ... 933497.jpg