Salix Xfce 15.0RC1

missTell

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0RC1

Post by missTell »

missTell wrote: 8. Aug 2022, 17:43I don't see why it should be smaller. When you hover over an icon, it's because you want more details about it. Showing a bigger preview sometimes provides that extra info you need.
Simple -- the use case for Salix.

Namely, my 2009 desktop had 16 GB RAM, my 2012 laptops had 16 & 32 GB RAM, my current desktop has 256 GB RAM ...

Some netbook from 2006, with 1280 x 720 Px screen or something much older might be considered for a Linux installation.

Now, all what I'm trying to explain to you and Hugoks writing together (read the image titles!!!):

1. Move the "darkstar" where it belongs (bottom left):

https://ibb.co/47tg2Nb

2. 48 Pixel pop-ups are huge and more than enough to get information even on a big screen; on 1280 x 720 just the right size.

Fix the taskbar elements position and reduce virtual desktops from 4 to 2; other way, half of the taskbar is full, before one even opens a program.

https://ibb.co/8BNZPbt

3. Get rid of distracting elements, and let GUI to melt with the environment! Dark panel, dark window borders (melt better with dark window edges).

https://ibb.co/vmdpqH3

4. Get the icon set which you don't like, or like less, or whatever -- but, the one that 'just works'.

https://ibb.co/gWv66c7

5. Get a decent skinable multimedia player -- VLC has 2 ~ 3 'blacker than blackest (darkest dark) black' or very, very dark gray skins.

The ONLY usable skins for watching videos -- the interface must be 'invisible' and stay out of the way!

https://ibb.co/MgBzB1q

6. Enjoy ... working ... multimedia ... whatever ...

https://ibb.co/4jcDCFw

The complete environment is still light -- the windows, start menu ... only the stuff that borders with the black screen edges is dark.

Almost every photo editing application, almost every video cutting software, almost every video player ... or terminal, or ... -- they are all almost in every case dark gray or black -- for a good reason -- that's less distracting for the USE CASE.

Office suites are almost all light colored, if not completely white -- again for a good reason -- the office look and feel is a matter of the norms, 'prescribed' by the laws or at least regulations ...
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

It is the first time that I have seen Salix 15.0 Sourceforge.net has an RSS feed (it's may not be new) I like that. :D
https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/rss?path=/15.0
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
hugok

Post by hugok »

You got the picture @missTell
Last edited by hugok on 8. Aug 2022, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
hugok

Post by hugok »

hugok wrote: 8. Aug 2022, 13:11 In the panel, the Network icon should be to the right of the Workspaces item
No, it was always on the left...

Should be, but yes, it was always placed wrong ...

Exactly
hugok wrote: 8. Aug 2022, 13:11 In the panel, a transparent separator should be between the launchers the and the window buttons
Why?

Because!

They stay very close to each other
hugok wrote: 8. Aug 2022, 13:11 The size of Icon help under Icons/Desktop should be smaller e.g. 64 instead of the default 128
I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to.

About mouse-over message which is huge and should be 48 Px, instead of 128.

That's it
hugok wrote: 8. Aug 2022, 13:11 The hostname name in the panel at login(login/display manager) is not centered with the screen. This also happens with other distros...
Yes, I don't think it's possible to center it completely.

Not at all centered -- it should go all the way left, and all the rest, all the way right -- like in my VM and screenshots.

Exactly

[/quote]
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

I am testing the RC1 on the same netbook I used to test the beta1 release: HP Mini 210, Intel Atom N455 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD.

I did a fresh installation of the 15.0 RC1 .iso [64-bit, BIOS, US English] this morning. (I thought that would be the "cleanest" way to make an assessment of the RC1). I've been using it most of today and have lots of positive things to report.
  • The installation was straightforward, with no surprises.
  • The multimedia codecs installer worked smoothly. I have been listening to several FM radio streams (.mp3, .aac) with no problem.
  • I did the initial update of the system via Gslapt with no issues.
  • I enabled the root user account as per instructions on the Salix Wiki.
  • I used Gslapt to install several other packages (e.g., AbiWord, gFTP, HexChat, Audacious). They are working OK, based on my limited use of them.
  • I installed two Flatpaks via the System > Flathub tool: HomeBank (ver. 5.5.5) and GnuCash (ver. 4.11). Both seem to be working fine thus far.
  • The Exaile problem I encountered in the beta1 release (bugginess when opening / adding URLs of radio stations) has been fixed. Exaile worked fine.
Minor glitch [?]:

When I tried to use nano as root, it wouldn't start. The system generated an error message:

Code: Select all

root@darkstar:~# nano /etc/modprobe.d/b43_blacklist.conf
Invalid backup directory: ~/.nanobackups
(In my regular user account [unprivileged], nano works fine. So I'm not sure how to fix this error).

I will continue testing and report any other issues I encounter.

gapan,
Thanks very much for all your work on this RC1! :) I think it's going to be a pleasure to use.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

When I tried to use nano as root, it wouldn't start. The system generated an error message:

Code: Select all

root@darkstar:~# nano /etc/modprobe.d/b43_blacklist.conf
Invalid backup directory: ~/.nanobackups

(In my regular user account [unprivileged], nano works fine. So I'm not sure how to fix this error).
If i remember well just remove ~/.nanobackups then run nano again.
Or/and if there is a file ~/.nanorc there exist a line set backupdir "~/.nanobackups"
delete the file ~/.nanorc then run nano again.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

gaucho wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 02:52 I am testing the RC1 on the same netbook I used to test the beta1 release: HP Mini 210, Intel Atom N455 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD.
Thanks gaucho!
gaucho wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 02:52 When I tried to use nano as root, it wouldn't start.
I actually fixed this last night. Upgrade the rootuser-settings package and it should work.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this for so long.

About icons and placement and stuff, I don't really understand the fuss. It's Xfce! Use whatever icons you like and put them wherever you want. Rearrange panels to your liking. Use whatever theme you wish.

It's one of the first things people do with any distro if they prefer different settings from the default.

My computer doesn't have a battery, so I have no need of power manager. Nor Bluetooth. Nor most of the unnecessary but easily added widgets and panel indicators and stuff. I prefer not to have all that extra stuff included by default and have to remove it, than to simply build it to my needs and liking.

I'm glad that SalixOS is not trying to become the one-size-fits-all Ubuntu version of Slackware.
missTell

Post by missTell »

Artim wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 08:37 About icons and placement and stuff, I don't really understand the fuss. It's Xfce! Use whatever icons you like and put them wherever you want. Rearrange panels to your liking. Use whatever theme you wish.
Your writing clearly shows it -- that you actually really do not understand the issue.

It is about "professional" vs. "geek" way of thinking.

You as a geek enjoy the tinkering -- normal people use the computers to get the job done.

With other words, most people work with computer, not on their computer.

The users should get a propper set of defaults, and the geeks should be able to destroy them according to 'I like' -- not the other way round.

Artim wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 08:37 It's one of the first things people do with any distro if they prefer different settings from the default.
The first thing the 'geeks' do -- not 'regular users' (=== 'the people').

The difference between a professional OS (Windows, macOS, Ubuntu, Fedora Gnome) and some 'junkstributions' (all except the previous four) is, the first ones you install and start working, the second ones you need to set up first.

Artim wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 08:37 My computer doesn't have a battery, so I have no need of power manager. Nor Bluetooth. Nor most of the unnecessary but easily added widgets and panel indicators and stuff. I prefer not to have all that extra stuff included by default and have to remove it, than to simply build it to my needs and liking.
If you could only think reasonably and not as a geek ...

Now, instead of me explaining to you, let's try it the other way round -- you explain me -- maybe that way you might see the issue easier ...

How many clicks exactly does one need to add the 'power manager', 'Bluetooth', audio etc., and how many clicks exactly does one need to remove them?

And there is also another catch to it -- one needs to know where and how one can add those extensions -- one doesn't need to know how to remove them (if one can read the context menus).

The whole distribution is basically nothing more than 'you just need to add whatever' -- the least distributions actually write their own software.

BTW, a sophisticated OS does that automatically. There will be no 'power manager', 'network manager' or 'audio manager' shown in Fedora or Ubuntu Gnome, if there is no such device present -- it's only 1999 primitive constructs that need manual adding and removing icons.

Artim wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 08:37 I'm glad that SalixOS is not trying to become the one-size-fits-all Ubuntu version of Slackware.
It's just because you weren't able to comprehend it ...

It already starts with: "Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings" & "Salix: The Linux distribution for the lazy Slacker" ...
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

missTell wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 11:55 You as a geek enjoy the tinkering -- normal people use the computers to get the job done.

With other words, most people work with computer, not on their computer.
Exactly! Most people work with their computer! They don't constantly try to find tiny and insignificant discrepancies if they change the panel height by 1px.
missTell wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 11:55 The difference between a professional OS (Windows, macOS, Ubuntu, Fedora Gnome) and some 'junkstributions' (all except the previous four) is, the first ones you install and start working, the second ones you need to set up first.
Thanks for calling us "junk", I guess.
missTell wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 11:55 How many clicks exactly does one need to add the 'power manager', 'Bluetooth', audio etc., and how many clicks exactly does one need to remove them?
It doesn't matter if it's one or three or five. They only have to do it once, if they want to.
missTell wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 11:55 And there is also another catch to it -- one needs to know where and how one can add those extensions -- one doesn't need to know how to remove them (if one can read the context menus).
I don't think we target people that can't read.
missTell wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 11:55 The whole distribution is basically nothing more than 'you just need to add whatever' -- the least distributions actually write their own software.
Thanks for proving that you have no idea what Salix is and what we do here. You literally are totally ignorant.
missTell wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 11:55 BTW, a sophisticated OS does that automatically. There will be no 'power manager', 'network manager' or 'audio manager' shown in Fedora or Ubuntu Gnome, if there is no such device present -- it's only 1999 primitive constructs that need manual adding and removing icons.
Your "sophisticated" OS loads them by default and consumes RAM and system resources. There's no reason to load something if it's not needed.
missTell wrote: 9. Aug 2022, 11:55 It's just because you weren't able to comprehend it ...

It already starts with: "Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings" & "Salix: The Linux distribution for the lazy Slacker" ...
I'm not really sure what you're doing here and not trying to enlighten Ubuntu with your wisdom....