Salix 15.0RC4

Papasot
Donor

Re: Salix 15.0RC4

Post by Papasot »

sasa_ wrote: 4. Sep 2022, 07:34 Intel Pentium E8500, 4GB ram memory, Nvidia G8400. Salix 15 it's working well. 12 years old PC.
Of course it is working well, it could actually work with just 1 Gb of RAM, an Atom CPU at low frequency and a crappy on-board GPU (I already tested 15.0 on such a machine and it is working well). In fact I have reasons to believe it will work with even less RAM but I can't confirm that with actual testing.
But again, Salix 15.0 uses glibc 2.33, so no issues there. Don't be so sure Slackware-Current also works though, and that's because Current already moved to glibc 2.36, which is exactly where the compatibility with old hardware breaks.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

Ccome on guys! gapam announces that salix 15.0 is finalized and you... you do the grinchs, spoiled children :lol:

Thank you gapam, hugok and all the Salix team and the people who reported the bugs.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

SalixManiac wrote: 4. Sep 2022, 21:27 Ccome on guys! gapam announces that salix 15.0 is finalized and you... you do the grinchs, spoiled children :lol:

Thank you gapam, hugok and all the Salix team and the people who reported the bugs.
You are right, we are spoiled because we have Salix 15.0 already. I was planning to wait for the official announcement, but then I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version via torrent like a typical child who can't wait. :D I already had RC4 and the previous betas installed one way or another, so I didn't expect any surprises, and didn't have any. This is the first post from a brand-new installation, the first one replacing a previous 14.2 installation which served me flawlessly for years.

Just to make it clear, Salix is my main operating system since April 2015, and it will will stay like that for the foreseeable future. Any criticism I expressed was about PV and his decisions, gradually deviating from the original path and sailing the Slackware boat to less peaceful waters. I thought it was obvious it had nothing to do with gapan and the community, but in case that wasn't clear, I hope now it is. Once again, gapan did his best, and the community was as nice and helpful as usual.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
sasa_

Post by sasa_ »

Wait...
ibka

Post by ibka »

Hi

rubygem-asciidoctor has missing dependencies of ruby

Another issue is with po4a-translate where i got this error: LineBreak.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xed00080, needed 0xeb00080)

The command i used is: po4a-translate -f asciidoc -m HandBook.adoc -p sv_SE.HandBook.po -l sv_SE.HandBook.adoc
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sasa_ wrote: 5. Sep 2022, 10:53Wait...
I never said I was going to do it on Monday morning! :P

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8409
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

ibka wrote: 5. Sep 2022, 15:34The command i used is: po4a-translate -f asciidoc -m HandBook.adoc -p sv_SE.HandBook.po -l sv_SE.HandBook.adoc
Not an answer, but incidentally po4a-translate finds translations with a \n at the end of lines 2755, 3645, 3650 that should be removed as they are not in the source string. Also, po4a-translate by default keep only translation completed @ 80% but this one is (or was when I tried) @ 76.76%.

But you can tell it to keep and process the file even if less translated with the option -k (for keep). For instance:
po4a-translate -k 70 -f asciidoc -m HandBook.adoc -p sv_SE.HandBook.po -l sv_SE.HandBook.adoc

po4a was happy after that and the removal of the /n as mentioned above.

Anyway, thanks Ingemar for your translation work!
salpek

Post by salpek »

gapan wrote: 1. Sep 2022, 16:52
Thanks, I have edited the wiki accordingly.
Upgrade second machine DELL Optiplex 780 edited version to 15.0:

After slapt-get --install-set slackware/a I try next step slapt-get -i lightdm... and got error:
slapt-get: error while loading shared libraries :libssl.so.1....
I have to do it once more (I'm sure because I did it from bash history):

Code: Select all

ln -sf /lib/libssl.so.1.1 /lib/libssl.so.1
Then all next steps goes flawless :)
salpek

Post by salpek »

salpek wrote: 6. Sep 2022, 09:38

After slapt-get --install-set slackware/a I try next step slapt-get -i lightdm... and got error:

Upgrading another DELL Optiplex 780 machine and got same issue:
- ln -sf for libssl + libcrypto is needed for the second time to continue the upgrade process after slapt-get --install-set slackware/a step ...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

salpek wrote: 6. Sep 2022, 09:38

OK thanks! I've added the extra step to the wiki.