Salix 15.0RC4

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix 15.0RC4

Post by gapan »

SalixManiac wrote: 2. Sep 2022, 16:23 Hello gapan,
is it possible not to exclude "glibc-zoneinfo" updates by default?
Yes, instead of

Code: Select all

^glibc.*
you can use

Code: Select all

^glibc,^glibc-i18n
In fact, you could probably skip the glibc part completely. I doubt there will be any cases where you'll really have to be careful about those.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

If I am not wrong, there are no sbopkg, spi nor sourcery in the new Salix 15.
How do you advice install slkbuild packages?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Van_Vinkle wrote: 3. Sep 2022, 10:46 If I am not wrong, there are no sbopkg, spi nor sourcery in the new Salix 15.
How do you advice install slkbuild packages?
There is slapt-src, but the idea is that you won't need it much, if at all. Almost everything from SBo is now already packaged in our repositories and you can install them with slapt-get/gslapt. And there's also flatpak...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Torrents for the final release are up:
https://download.salixos.org/x86_64/15. ... .0.torrent
https://download.salixos.org/i486/15.0/ ... .0.torrent

They are the same as RC4. I will make the announcement on Monday.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

SalixManiac wrote: 2. Sep 2022, 16:23 is it possible not to exclude "glibc-zoneinfo" updates by default?
gapan wrote: 2. Sep 2022, 21:34 In fact, you could probably skip the glibc part completely.
Be VERY careful with glibc, never mess with it. In fact, latest glibc (2.36) breaks compatibility with old hardware and may make the system completely unbootable (what exactly "old" means is not completely clear but to my experience it's 10+ years old at least). glibc 2.35 or earlier still works on old hardware but 2.36 doesn't. Salix 15.0 has glibc 2.33 so it's still an option for oldies, but I am guessing at later versions this won't be the case anymore. Sooner or later only musl-based GNU/Linux distros will work on oldies - or FreeBSD and friends.
gapan wrote: 3. Sep 2022, 15:15 I will make the announcement on Monday.
I admit I will miss 14.2, it served me for years and never got in my way. It was just there, working as expected like a solid rock. Oh well, it was about time for a change...
Judging from the betas and RCs, the only thing that bothers me in 15.0 is the goddamn elogind, which PV decided to make it a hard-coded dependency, so the only way to get rid of it in Slackware is to... recompile pretty much everything. I really find it hard to digest the fact Slackware-based distros will now have to use freaking elogind.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Papasot wrote: 3. Sep 2022, 17:10 Be VERY careful with glibc, never mess with it. In fact, latest glibc (2.36) breaks compatibility with old hardware and may make the system completely unbootable (what exactly "old" means is not completely clear but to my experience it's 10+ years old at least). glibc 2.35 or earlier still works on old hardware but 2.36 doesn't. Salix 15.0 has glibc 2.33 so it's still an option for oldies, but I am guessing at later versions this won't be the case anymore. Sooner or later only musl-based GNU/Linux distros will work on oldies - or FreeBSD and friends.
No disagreement there. That's why the glibc packages are excluded in slapt-getrc anyway. But my point is that any such upgrade is highly unlikely to happen within 15.0.
Papasot wrote: 3. Sep 2022, 17:10 I admit I will miss 14.2, it served me for years and never got in my way. It was just there, working as expected like a solid rock. Oh well, it was about time for a change...
Judging from the betas and RCs, the only thing that bothers me in 15.0 is the goddamn elogind, which PV decided to make it a hard-coded dependency, so the only way to get rid of it in Slackware is to... recompile pretty much everything. I really find it hard to digest the fact Slackware-based distros will now have to use freaking elogind.
Well, you can still keep 14.2... It is still receiving security updates. And probably will for some time to come, until it becomes impossible to provide these updates.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

gapan wrote: 3. Sep 2022, 17:14 Well, you can still keep 14.2... It is still receiving security updates. And probably will for some time to come, until it becomes impossible to provide these updates.
Don't get me wrong, I will install 15.0 in all my machines eventually, promptly starting with a laptop. Within a week or two, every computer I own/maintain will have Salix 15.0 installed. 14.2 works and will still work until the hardware fails. Still, it is about time for a system update - and it is a nice update, I just said elogind should not be there (for me at least, it was completely unnecessary). I only blamed PV for his decision to indulge the trend of hard-coding it in Slackware. I can replace a few things I don't like but not this one. Getting rid of elogind is not an option for any Slackware-based distribution, because it would require recompiling pretty much everything, essentially making a new distro that has very few in common with Slackware.

Main reasons 15.0 is needed anyway:
  • More and more applications in 14.2 show their age. Maintaining a personal repo to maintain a few packages I wanted up-to-date worked for me, but as time passes said repo becomes longer and it requires more time and effort, making it impractical after a few years.
  • A few external applications I use expect a newer version of glibc and won't work at all in 14.2 anymore. There is no sane solution to bypass this issue.
  • gcc is essential, and the one in 14.2 is old, while the one in 15.0 has features I long wanted. The solution I had so far is compiling gcc from source, and installing a second version in 14.2 - it's not that hard but takes a lot of time, and it's not an elegant solution anyway.
In short, you just can't keep a distro frozen forever, even if it is a great one, as Salix 14.2 is. As an old great song says, nothing lasts forever but the Earth and sky - and not even those last forever.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
hugok

Post by hugok »

gapan wrote: 3. Sep 2022, 15:15 Torrents for the final release are up:
https://download.salixos.org/x86_64/15. ... .0.torrent
https://download.salixos.org/i486/15.0/ ... .0.torrent

They are the same as RC4. I will make the announcement on Monday.
Geat news :D
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Salix is fine, but always dependant on the nonsense that all those other projects are doing...

This password thing when creating a new user is ridiculous. Does even Microsoft Windows tell me what password to use? If you want to do something for usability, please let the user choose any password they want. But even in 14.2, that was nonsense, needing at least 5 characters. But now in 15.0, it's really over the top.

Is that actually Xfce? Barely recognisable! Looks as big as Mate now.

Great, now we can "hide" applications from the start menu like in Windows 10. That doesn't uninstall them to free any disk memory, just removes the entry.

Salix 15.0 probably isn't the right OS anymore for a Pentium 3. Time moved on indeed.

Two more programs would be nice to have: Palemoon and Icecat. Where to ask now, with Sourcery gone? Are all Salix programs maintained by Slackware now?

@Papasot: Recently, I reverted to Salix 14.1, because the newer version of a specific program was making trouble on 14.2. The older versions are of course more efficent on older hardware. But 14.1 still is a very useable system. Try to stick to the old versions of the software that you need (if it's not security related).
The problem is however, that some developers remove the source code for older versions, which is needed by Sourcery of course. However what's installed on your system can't be removed. And once a Salix system is working... it hopefully never stops. I'll continue with the former 14.2 until it falls apart.
sasa_

Post by sasa_ »

Intel Pentium E8500, 4GB ram memory, Nvidia G8400. Salix 15 it's working well. 12 years old PC.