Salix Xfce 15.0 is released!

ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0 is released!

Post by ChuangTzu »

miredia

Post by miredia »

I'm glad the installer was changed to one that looked like Slackware "install-DVD" because I didn't like the GUI one. It's noticeable even from somebody that hasn't a lot of experience with Linux that this distro has become better than it was in the summer or earlier this year. I salute the Salix team for their tremendous work bringing us this high-quality OS.
mrstordal

Post by mrstordal »

I have been a Salix user since 2012. Started out with the Ratpoison edition just to feel like a pro :lol: XFCE after that. Just upgraded with a new old HP laptop, and gave Slackware KDE a spin before I installed the latest Salix 15.0 XFCE. For me, this is all I need and want for a home PC. A big thank you from Norway!
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

mrstordal wrote: 24. Jul 2023, 14:48 I have been a Salix user since 2012. Started out with the Ratpoison edition just to feel like a pro :lol: XFCE after that. Just upgraded with a new old HP laptop, and gave Slackware KDE a spin before I installed the latest Salix 15.0 XFCE. For me, this is all I need and want for a home PC. A big thank you from Norway!
Hi, and skål på Vikingene (I hope the little Norwegian I learned once upon a time still work). :lol:

KDE devours resources for nothing, in my opinion XFCE is very well balanced resources/functionality wise. However if you want to "feel like a pro" but dislike the automatic resizing of windows that was done in ratpoison (and basically any tiling window manager today), I would recommend Openbox. It's very lightweight, and you can easily eliminate the use of the mouse with a few keybindings (you can do the same in XFCE but it's not that easy, and would require tools like xdotool in some cases).

I actually have such an Openbox configuration which I use quite often in my main machine and always in old computers running Salix. In relatively modern computers it doesn't matter much, but in old machines with something like 1 Gb of RAM, this would be a game changer. Openbox takes over about half the RAM XFCE does. And I can easily set keybindings for pretty much anything, like moving a window to any corner (or the center) of the screen, enabling/disabling window decorations, and many-many other things. I actually push the mouse away and forget it exists for the most part. All that without the very annoying resizing of windows tiling window managers do. To give you an idea, I am an old Emacs fan, and there is actually an Emacs window manager. But I never used it because it is a tiling window manager.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
mrstordal

Post by mrstordal »

FLATPAK! :D DEFINITELY a perfect addition for us "lazy slackers"! Some years back I remember struggling to install Blender.. today.. Flatpak install! Same with other applications like Bitwig for music production. Very grateful!
ivanovnegro
Donor

Post by ivanovnegro »

Salix 15.0 is probably the best release yet. This is a late reply, but nevertheless I wanted to thank the Salix developers for their immense effort to put out one of the best distributions based on a great one, that Slackware already is.
With great attention to detail, this release is fantastic, it looks gorgeous, is damn easy to use, has Flatpak (I do not even use it that much) integrated in a way I would never thought of, is absolutely stable and fast compared to the mainstream.
I regularly have record breaking uptimes that other systems can only dream about, I hate rebooting and trying to remember where I left all my important work.
Due to said work I was not really active here, but Salix is already doing everything I need as my workstation, that is. Also I should donate of course, even if only a small amount.

Thank you!