Salix Live Xfce 15.0 BETA2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 15.0 BETA2

Post by djemos »

I made again another real installation to usb and all went fine.
A minor change made in SLI where the label of copy to usb was non sensitive while the button worked.
Also if you have an internal ssd and install to external usb your usb will be recognized as /dev/sdb when will boot with it. OK.
Now you take this usb or external ssd if you used an ssd to install and go to boot to a laptop where there is only an internal nvme disk. In this case your usb will be /dev/sda And since in grub config was written /dev/sdb it will not boot. If you choose grub at installation read bellow.

ONLY IF YOU HAVE USE GRUB BOOT LOADER
So after installation boot with usb where have install the system and download this install-upgrade-kernel-ext-usb-gtk and install it
Then type in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/sbin/make_initrd_update_grub_ext_usb
this will upgrade grub and recreate initrd and change also grub.cfg

And also update /etc/fstab to this

proc                                         /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs                                        /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs                                        /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
UUID=cd51c5c1-b4e1-4b8f-a0af-4e2157ac7925    / ext4 defaults 1 1
UUID=A216-71A4                               /boot/efi vfat defaults 1 0
UUID=b497d694-e139-410e-8c02-1027ab8a6628    swap  swap defaults  0  0
This is for my usb. In yours only the UUID will be different.
usb will boot to everywhere. Extremely portable.
At boot grub menu will only be one choice salix-xfce.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

THanks djemos. I am going to be away for the rest of the weekend, but I'll take a look at this on Monday. If I'm in the Live USB, what should I do to get the new sli, just normal package upgrade?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Yes, while in the live usb download SLI and reinstall it sudo spkg -u --reinstall sli-1.2.5-x86_64-1dj.txz
Then do the real installation on the other usb.
Then after boot with the real installation usb download install-upgrade-kernel-ext-usb-gtk and do as i say. It is optional but i always do it. If you choose grub the default in sli.
I did not added to sli because someone in sli can choose (e)lilo as boot loader.

Doing a fat32 33MB partition signed bios,grub there is also another boot option appeared in bios boot menu, salix (scandisk) in my case, except the other two options UEFI USB and hdd USB :-)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm still having all sorts of problems with it. Perhaps it is a bad download or bad USB stick. I'll report back when I have investigated further.

If anyone else sees this though, it would be great if you could try a "real" installation on an external medium - rather than virtualbox or whatever.

I haven't so far done much with the "left hand side" of the installer.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

The "left hand side" of the installer is for creating a live usb. I do not use it since there is install-on-usb gui which also support persistent file creation with or without encryption. Sli is well tested in slackel and salix since previous live editions and i have never had any problem installing the system.
I think It is a one of usb's problem or iso bad download problem. I did two real installations on usb to test without any problem.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

An interim report, as an experiment I deliberately chose Grub rather than Elilo (which I will try next). My system here is a bit "exotic" in that I have two hard disks each of which has an efi partition.

Result: Grub offers to boot the systems installed on the hard disk, and not the one newly installed on the USB stick. Just to give an idea of how it looks, sda and sdb are the two hard disks. sdc is live. sdd is where I installed the 'real' system on another usb:

mimosa[~]$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0     1G  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0  97.9G  0 part /home/mimosa/Downloads
└─sda3   8:3    0    30G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0    28G  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   0   265M  0 part 
└─sdb2   8:18   0  27.5G  0 part 
sdc      8:32   1   7.5G  0 disk 
└─sdc1   8:33   1     4G  0 part 
sdd      8:48   1  14.5G  0 disk 
├─sdd1   8:49   1   1.1G  0 part 
└─sdd2   8:50   1  13.4G  0 part 
I used instonusb again (with a different USB stick) and got this message which doesn't seem significant (the Live still booted) because on my normal Salix 15, syslinux wasn't installed (I have installed it now):

--- Making the USB drive '/dev/sdf' bootable using syslinux...
/usr/sbin/install_iso_on_usb.sh: line 581: syslinux: command not found
Then when I booted it and ran SLI, at the beginning, I see this message repeated maybe thirty times:

/usr/sbin/sli-location-detection.sh: line 32: ((: > 1678856 : syntax error: operand expected (error token is "> 1678856 ")
Again I don't think it is significant, but just in case!

I am going to try again choosing elilo this time.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hi,
mimosa wrote: 20. Sep 2022, 13:55
Result: Grub offers to boot the systems installed on the hard disk, and not the one newly installed on the USB stick. Just to give an idea of how it looks, sda and sdb are the two hard disks. sdc is live. sdd is where I installed the 'real' system on another usb:
If you use as is the package shipped in Slackware that is to be expected. Then edit as you see fit this file, back up your /etc/defaultgrub and replace it by this one. You may want to replace:
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Slint"
by
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Salix"

Some important settings that I advise you to keep
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=false
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_PARTUUID=true
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Then run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

After that this script (run as root or using sudo) can allow you to preview the GRUB menu that will displayed after the next reboot. Dependency: w3m. But you can edit the script and replace w3m by your preferred pager.

Also, make sure you have installed grub in all drives with an EFI partition.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Didier - with luck, that would allow me to make a working real install from the Salix Live USB to another one.

However my purpose here is just testing and it should ideally "just work" as is, whether on a machine ignorant of Salix, or the one you have at home!

Am I right in thinking that perhaps it's not working because I'm trying to do this on a system where there are already other Salixes, that is, if I just did this on a computer where there was only Windows or Ubuntu, and first created a Salix Live, then a real install on another USB, these things wouldn't happen? Unfortunately I don't have one here where I can test.

The elilo test also failed to boot, I think with a message about there being no initrd.

Another thing to note is that the installations take a very long time, perhaps an hour, I'm not sure. What I have done is go out or do something else.

None of this, obviously, is typical, it must be something about my rather exotic local setup!
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

mimosa wrote: 20. Sep 2022, 19:21Am I right in thinking that perhaps it's not working because I'm trying to do this on a system where there are already other Salixes, that is, if I just did this on a computer where there was only Windows or Ubuntu, and first created a Salix Live, then a real install on another USB, these things wouldn't happen? Unfortunately I don't have one here where I can test.
If you want grub-mkconfig to find systems installed with / in a different partition or drive than the current one and include boot entries for them in the boot menu, you need to set:
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false in /etc/default/grub. This will allow GRUB to find systems installed in other partitions and drives, including Windows and Ubuntu, and including systems in removable drives inserted or plugged-in when running the command grub-config. If this includes systems in removable drives you also need in the same file these settings:
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=false
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_PARTUUID=true
so they be searched by UUID: the UUID of a file system is constant but the devices names like /dev/sdx can vary across boots.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It's not that I want the other systems to be detected, it's that for some reason, SLI is doing that and then I am unable to boot the system on the USB it creates.

It seems that it is booting the kernel from my existing installations and then trying to boot the USB installation, which fails because of the missing initrd.

I will have another go later on today and double check that I am doing everything "by the letter".