Salix Live Xfce 15.0 BETA3

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Live Xfce 15.0 BETA3

Post by djemos »

New icons for sli, instonusb.
Added in sli the new salix_startup_guide for salix live to help users to easily install salix live to internal or external ssd or usb stick.
The UUID of devices are added in fstab
Only the swap partition created by the user at installation is added in fstab.
networking is enabled after installation.
Many thanks to mimosa and others for testing.

You can download the iso images using the following links.

Salix Live Xfce 15.0 beta3 (32-bit, i686)
(size: 1699 MB, md5: 293e6be876e95520edbb02ed7f5ceebb)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download

Salix64 Live Xfce 15.0 beta3 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 1692 MB, md5: 799c9e8f880ad782704a2faf33fcc6ee)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 15.0 BETA3

Post by mimosa »

I've downloaded it, and will set it up to install on USB when I go to the dentist this afternoon. :D
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote: 27. Sep 2022, 09:13 I've downloaded it, and will set it up to install on USB when I go to the dentist this afternoon. :D
Before test it check the md5sum to be sure the download it is ok.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Good point!

This time I chose ext2 in case it would improve performance, but the result was much the same. The system installed on the second USB was so slow as to be unusable. But the instonusb copy is fast and responsive, and also, completed within minutes.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

It is the usb. It has nothing to do with the installer. The Insonusb just copy the iso in a vfat formatted usb. Which is supported from all usb's. As also xfat.
If you format the usb in ext4 and just copy 2-3 isos some GB there, you will see that it is slow.
The installer format the usb on ext3 or ext4 etc. Not all usb support linux and ext3 or ext4 etc. They are slow. i run the system installed in a sandisk 32GB usb2.0 which supports linux and the system run and boot fast. I bought an intenso 64 GB usb 3.1 two days before and it was too slow i could not even install the system. I formatted it in xfat and my wife can use it.
If you install it on vmware it will run fast or in an external ssd. I orderd another usb3.0 32 GB, which supports linux. And never use usb more than 32GB. It is slow. And i will do the installation there too. Look in the company page of usb you have if it supports linux.
Other than that the iive iso works fine. So after some more tests we can release it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'll see if I can find a Sandisk stick in town this afternoon! It really would be great to have this to use on the road.

One thing I forgot to mention, on the Desktop, various things such as proc, sys, efi are shown as "devices" (with a USB icon). I don't think this was the case with the Beta2, but I'm not sure.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

After installation shutdown the machine and unplug all usb stick. I have seen this after installation i have done. I have to find why this happen.
It is strange.
galmei

Better terminology

Post by galmei »

Specifically addressed to djemos.

A suggestion for a better term usage in my opinion:
Instead of save to USB, as we can now constantly read in connection with Salix Live, one would use save to UMSD.
UMS USB Mass Storage support (UMS)
UMSD is a derivation of the abbreviation UMS from the document Kernel Parameters.
"UMS USB Mass Storage support is enabled."
Means to allow the kernel to support USB mass storage.
If we add a "D" we get an appropriate term USB mass storage device (UMSD), one don't have to store on USB, which is not possible, because USB stands for Universal Serial Bus, one don't store anything on a BUS, but via it.

djemos, can you imagine to adjust the documentation and programs accordingly?
What do you say to this?

Kind regards
galmei
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Trouble is few will understand that acronym. But I think it would be helpful to make it clear in a prominent place that not all USB sticks will work; and what to check for, on the manufacturer's website. Perhaps even a list of working brands.

This is just an off-the-wall suggestion, but how about including support in the intrd for SD cards as well? I don't know if there is the same issue with those, though.
galmei

Post by galmei »

mimosa wrote: 29. Sep 2022, 07:54 Trouble is few will understand that acronym.
It must be explained right at the beginning of the descriptions.
mimosa wrote: 29. Sep 2022, 07:54 This is just an off-the-wall suggestion, but how about including support in the intrd for SD cards as well? I don't know if there is the same issue with those, though.
All flash storage media could be supported (e. g. SD cards).

Now I'm off to fix my toilet cistern.