Salix Live Xfce 15.0 RC3

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Live Xfce 15.0 RC3

Post by djemos »

Salix Live Xfce 15.0 RC3

Changes are:
For sli.desktop, the "live-installer" icon is used.
For instonusb, the "usbimager" icon is used.
All grub*.desktop files removed. xterm removed.
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true so only Salix appeared in grub boot menus.

I used the salixlive-xfce-64 installed (real installation) on 64bit SANDISK SDCZ71 usb.
Booted in my son's new laptop lenovo.
I Installed pysolfc with flatpak.
Then from menus i run pysolfc flatpak and is running fine.

Live iso is running fine. I have done installations on external usb sticks for both 32 and 64bit and run fine.
If you think it is worth then we can release it or otherwise will remain a rc3, which is also useful for me at least.

You can download the iso images using the following links.

Salix Live Xfce 15.0 rc3 (32-bit, i686)
(size: 1699 MB, md5: ad65664bc543bb4a01f7576435c01923)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download

Salix64 Live Xfce 15.0 rc3 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 1693 MB, md5: dd90076a6183208ae6993f2bf57c4071)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... /downloadu
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 15.0 RC3

Post by mimosa »

I'm still waiting for the suitable USB sticks I ordered, which I would really like to try out with it.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I also bought the SANDISK SDCZ71-064G CRUZER FORCE 64GB USB2.0 which is also fast.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

djemos, it has arrived, I will download the ISO and leave it to cook.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

After spending ages trying to get it to boot, I realised my mistake! This ancient machine predates UEFI. And it's so long since I've dealt with such a beast that I've forgotten what's needed. Rather than get it wrong again, just to check:

1. I want an ms-dos partition table, not GPT
2. No need for a separate /boot partition, just one Linux partition for the whole installation
3. Optionally, swap

Does that sound right?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I have tested in the past. Install 64 or 32bit salixlive-xfce, in old systems 64bit without efi, or if you do not want to use efi. I have such a HP 64bit machine which does not support efi.

Create a msdos partition table.
Create a Linux partition and optionally a swap partition.
Install salix on Linux partition.

Also i used the salixlive-xfce-64 installed (real installation) on 64bit SANDISK SDCZ71 usb.
Booted in my son's new laptop lenovo.
I Installed pysolfc with flatpak.
Then from menus i run pysolfc flatpak and is running fine.
So no problem with flatpak in salixlive-15.0 xfce. It was my lenovo laptop which could not run flatpak, because of glibc-2.36.

So everything in salixlive-xfce-15.0, included the flatpak have been tested and run.
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

Hello warriors

I remember with slaix64 live 14.2 I had to do a little DIY when I removed lilo or elilo (a problem with missing unicode.pf2 for GRUB, I think I remember without certainty).
if you want to do the test of removing lilo and elilo after installing salix64 live 15.0.

mimosa if you buy 2 usb sticks you can have fun doing a separate boot and a root partition: mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 0 --raid-devices 2 \ /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 :lol: :lol: :lol: I had tested on a 32 bit debian a very long time ago and two 8GB verbatim datalife USB flash drives, it worked surprisingly fast.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Salixlive-xfce-15.0 use the native slackware grub package which do not have unicode.pf2 and does not needed either. It is commented in default grub. The default dejavusansmono.pf2 font is used.
At installation choose default grub boot loader.
SLI do not support /boot as a separate partition. User can create a Linux partition for the system and optionally another partition for /home and another partition for swap.
Using grub boot loader is also better because after installation can install and use the gui tool install-upgrade-kernel-gtk for installation in internal ssd.
or the gui tool install-upgrade-kernel-ext-usb-gtk for installation on external ssd or usb stick to easily update huge or install generic kernel. So the system always boot after upgrade the kernel, creating the initrd image. This is critical and the users do not know how to do it by hand.
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

:shock: ok this is a more complicated problem than simply being able to read /lib/modules/ on an xfs btrfs f2fs partition,well well well we will learn how to use these new Salix tools.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

SalixManiac wrote: 2. Nov 2022, 13:21 :shock: ok this is a more complicated problem than simply being able to read /lib/modules/ on an xfs btrfs f2fs partition,well well well we will learn how to use these new Salix tools.
No complicated at all.
If you have done a default installation to internal disk then when a new kernel upgrade occurs just type sudo slapt-get -i kernel-huge kernel-modules kernel-headers and then sudo update-grub
But when you have done an installation to external ssd or usb-stick then you also have to create an initrd image. This is where is helpful the gui tool install-upgrade-kernel-ext-usb-gtk.