gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix 13.1RC1

Post by gapan »

A couple of more things to try:
edit the /etc/udev/udev.conf file and set

Code: Select all

udev_log="info"
that should provide more information and it should be possible to see exactly where udev hangs.

If it is a timeout issue and it boots after several minutes, then maybe adding

Code: Select all

udevtimeout=XXX
where XXX is the number of seconds, to your boot options will force udev to quit looking and continue with booting.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

gapan wrote: One thing to check is if it actually freezes or just takes a really long time to do anything. Leave it running, see if it will boot after 10 minutes or so.

You could also try disabling usb by adding nousb to your boot options. Maybe also see if there are any options about it in the bios.
I let it sit for an hour last night so I am quite confident it does freeze up. I really need usb on the netbook so disabling it entirely isn't the answer.

I tried using the 13.0.2a CD as a rescue disk and edited /etc/lilo.conf to add the line append="noudev". After reinstalling lilo and rebooting it got farther into the boot process but it locked again trying to load the b43 module, which is NOT the correct module for my Broadcom chipset. I've seen this error before in Pardus and openSUSE. I need to blacklist that module so it's back to the rescue disk to tinker.

Is there any chance the older version of udev from 13.0.2a will work with the kernel in 13.1?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:
gapan wrote: One thing to check is if it actually freezes or just takes a really long time to do anything. Leave it running, see if it will boot after 10 minutes or so.

You could also try disabling usb by adding nousb to your boot options. Maybe also see if there are any options about it in the bios.
I let it sit for an hour last night so I am quite confident it does freeze up. I really need usb on the netbook so disabling it entirely isn't the answer.

I tried using the 13.0.2a CD as a rescue disk and edited /etc/lilo.conf to add the line append="noudev". After reinstalling lilo and rebooting it got farther into the boot process but it locked again trying to load the b43 module, which is NOT the correct module for my Broadcom chipset. I've seen this error before in Pardus and openSUSE. I need to blacklist that module so it's back to the rescue disk to tinker.

Is there any chance the older version of udev from 13.0.2a will work with the kernel in 13.1?
I doubt it.

But the b43 module might be the culprit here. Try blacklisting it and see if it helps. I've found a similar report here: http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... ntID=14387

Which could also mean that it's a problem with the kernel and not udev.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

IT WORKS! :D I have SalixOS 13.1 running on my netbook with udev, the newest package. The problem was, indeed, the Broadcom driver. Blacklisting b43, ssb and ndiswrapper did the trick. Now all I have to do is compile the correct driver to get wireless working and I am in business.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

BTW, I will document it. If you'd like once I have the document done I could add it to the wiki.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

caitlyn wrote:IT WORKS! :D (...)
BTW, I will document it. If you'd like once I have the document done I could add it to the wiki.
Nice! :idea:
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:IT WORKS! :D I have SalixOS 13.1 running on my netbook with udev, the newest package. The problem was, indeed, the Broadcom driver. Blacklisting b43, ssb and ndiswrapper did the trick. Now all I have to do is compile the correct driver to get wireless working and I am in business.
Fantastic!

Did you try to blacklist the modules with the old udev package? If it definitely needs the new version, I will upload it to our repositories.
caitlyn wrote:Thanks to everyone who helped.

Thank you for having the patience to get to the bottom of this. A wiki page would be great.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

gapan wrote:Did you try to blacklist the modules with the old udev package? If it definitely needs the new version, I will upload it to our repositories.
Yes, I tried running the installer on the original CD that I burned. Blacklisting the drivers works with either udev package. Unless there is some other reason why the new package is superior there is no need to rush to upgrade.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

OK, no reason to upgrade then. Thanks.
zaen

Post by zaen »

This is just a feedback on my previous observation on the flickering in my desktop when I first tested 13.1 RC1. Since I reverted back to version 13.0.2a, I haven't noticed any flickering or display error. Funny thing is I also briefly tried Mint 9 in this very same laptop and the flicker was there.

But none whatsoever with 13.0.2a. I regret I couldn't be any more technical. But it is what it is.:mrgreen: I'm just happy that Salix 13.0.2a is still supported. 8-)
Shador

Post by Shador »

Maybe you've got an intel graphics card. Then it possibly can be fixed by installing another version of the intel video driver.
Have a look at this wiki page (it's also applicable to 13.1): http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/S ... Salix_13.0
Of course, if you want only. As long as you stay satisfied with 13.0, I guess you're better off with it. You know: don't change a working system. ;)