Salix 13.1RC1

caitlyn

Re: Salix 13.1RC1

Post by caitlyn »

damNageHack wrote:caitlyn, is this the same problem as described also here?
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=874
No. That was a problem getting unetbootin to run at all in 64-bit SalixOS 13.0.2a. I created a USB image using unetbootin-471 under Ubuntu and tried to boot it on my netbook with no joy. I tried again using the 64-bit iso on my desktop and had exactly the same result.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

I decided to burn the 13.1rc 32-bit iso and install it to my netbook , a Hewlett Packard Mini 110, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD in lieu of a hard drive. I used my USB DVD burner. I've successfully used this drive to install a variety of things to this netbook, including Slackware 13.0. (I haven't tried 13.1 yet.) I've tried it twice now and the install freezes at the same point each time:

Code: Select all

Starting udevd: /sbin/udevd --demon
Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevadm trigger
Then: nothing. It just hangs. There are no error messages.

Any suggestions how to get around this?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:Has anyone had a problem getting the Salix 13.1rc1 iso image to work using unetbootin? I've tried both the latest version and an older one I still had and I have had no luck getting my usb stick to boot. It appears the resulting image is not bootable. Salix 13.0.x did work so I wonder what has changed.
If you try to put 13.0.2 back in the usb stick, does it work? I've seen unetbootin rendering usb sticks unbootable after a few runs with different iso images. The only way to fix it was to format and competely wipe the boot table of the usb stick.
caitlyn wrote:I decided to burn the 13.1rc 32-bit iso and install it to my netbook , a Hewlett Packard Mini 110, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD in lieu of a hard drive. I used my USB DVD burner. I've successfully used this drive to install a variety of things to this netbook, including Slackware 13.0. (I haven't tried 13.1 yet.) I've tried it twice now and the install freezes at the same point each time:

That's really bad. We've had one report concerning an atom n450/GMA 3150 netbook with the same symptoms. It could be a bug with the kernel and/or udev in 13.1 that triggers with specific setups. Unfortunately there is no way to fix this yet. I'm afraid as it seems 13.1 is not going to be an option for some netbooks.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

caitlyn wrote:

Yeah, i had similiar problems with SalixLive on a box, some random delays and hang-ups at different steps (also udev) of boot process and not reproducable clearly. So I guess also hardware problems, it is hard to debug.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Salix 13.1 has been released: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=876

The only changes since 13.1RC1 are:
* Updated gslapt to fix a freezing bug
* Updated the salix-artwork package to fix a minor issue with the default wallpaper
* Added the salix-update-notifier package, which was mysteriously absent from the RC1.

Anyone having a 13.1RC1 installation can have the equivalent of 13.1, by just doing:

slapt-get -u
slapt-get --upgrade
and if he wants to also install salix-update-notifier:

slapt-get -i salix-update-notifier
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

caitlyn wrote:I decided to burn the 13.1rc 32-bit iso and install it to my netbook , a Hewlett Packard Mini 110, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD in lieu of a hard drive. I used my USB DVD burner. I've successfully used this drive to install a variety of things to this netbook, including Slackware 13.0. (I haven't tried 13.1 yet.) I've tried it twice now and the install freezes at the same point each time:

gapan wrote:That's really bad. We've had one report concerning an atom n450/GMA 3150 netbook with the same symptoms. It could be a bug with the kernel and/or udev in 13.1 that triggers with specific setups. Unfortunately there is no way to fix this yet. I'm afraid as it seems 13.1 is not going to be an option for some netbooks.
So it seems. I did manage to get unetbootin-471 to work with the 13.1 final image (32-bit). Sadly it hangs at the same place. I also copied the .iso to my internal SSD, loop mounted it, copied the kernel and initrd to /boot and added the Salix installer to the grub2 menu. My hope was that the results might be different if I wasn't running from a USB device. No such luck.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I wish I knew why Ubuntu works and SalixOS 13.0 doesn't.

I might try 13.0.2.a just to see if that works.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I'm sure 13.0.2a will work.

Can you try a newer udev package, to see if it fixes your problem? You will need to edit the iso using isomaster for that.
1. Get the new udev package from here: http://pnboy.pinguix.com/gapan/salix/ud ... i486-1.txz
2. Open the salix-13.1.iso image with isomaster and remove the udev package from inside the salix/core directory.
3. Add the new udev package in its place, don't worry about the respective .md5 and .desc files
4. Save the project to a new .iso file.

Now, when you're booting the new iso image, add the noudev kernel parameter to the kernel options. The initrd in the iso still has the old udev and that will at least let you start the installer (hopefully). Finish with the installation and try to boot it.

BTW, booting the initrd with grub2/lilo instead of creating a bootable usb stick is perfectly valid, I do it like that all the time, but it should make no difference at all, as you already saw.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

gapan wrote:I'm sure 13.0.2a will work.

Can you try a newer udev package, to see if it fixes your problem? You will need to edit the iso using isomaster for that.
1. Get the new udev package from here: http://pnboy.pinguix.com/gapan/salix/ud ... i486-1.txz
2. Open the salix-13.1.iso image with isomaster and remove the udev package from inside the salix/core directory.
3. Add the new udev package in its place, don't worry about the respective .md5 and .desc files
4. Save the project to a new .iso file.

Now, when you're booting the new iso image, add the noudev kernel parameter to the kernel options. The initrd in the iso still has the old udev and that will at least let you start the installer (hopefully).
I did as you suggested and the noudev option did let me run through the installation which seemed to go without a hitch. However, on reboot the system froze at exactly the same place. The new version of udev did not solve the problem :(

I tried 13.0.2 and, as expected, that worked just fine.

Any more things you'd like me to try? I really do need the newer libraries in 13.1 for some things.
Shador

Post by Shador »

That's what I wrote fredg on our maillist:
I suggest you get in touch with the udev developers themselves, if you got that time.
Give them a precise description of your problem, what you did to trigger the problem, any error messages (dmesg/syslog) and also what you've already tried. Older udev versions worked so it might be a regression. Suggest that it can be a configuration problem though, but you don't know what to try anymore (we neither) and that you'd appreciate any hints and are willing to provide all information they request.

Good luck
Andreas
You may want to back it up with the other users facing such issues.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

caitlyn wrote:I did as you suggested and the noudev option did let me run through the installation which seemed to go without a hitch. However, on reboot the system froze at exactly the same place. The new version of udev did not solve the problem :(

I tried 13.0.2 and, as expected, that worked just fine.

Any more things you'd like me to try? I really do need the newer libraries in 13.1 for some things.
One thing to check is if it actually freezes or just takes a really long time to do anything. Leave it running, see if it will boot after 10 minutes or so.

You could also try disabling usb by adding nousb to your boot options. Maybe also see if there are any options about it in the bios.