Salix LXDE edition 13.1beta1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix LXDE edition 13.1beta1

Post by gapan »

Here's something new, an LXDE flavor of Salix. LXDE is even lighter than XFCE and might be a better fit for older systems or underpowered netbooks. The default application selection has been changed for this new edition, the popular openbox window manager is used by LXDE and pcmanfm is used as the file manager. The OpenOffice.org suite has been replaced by the much lighter abiword and gnumeric. Mtpaint is used instead of the Gimp, Whaaw Media Player instead of parole and there are several more smaller applications that are different. Firefox is still included as the default web browser.

As with the standard, XFCE edition, this iso allows installation to be performed in three different modes, core, basic and full. The core mode installation is identical to the one you get from the XFCE edition. Basic will only install a minimal LXDE desktop with only firefox and gslapt installed as extra and full will install everything that is included in the iso.

Although this has not been tested much, I'm confident almost everything works fine.

The application selection is not exactly final, there might be changes until the final version. Please contribute ideas if you think some lighter alternative is available for anything.

This will probably be 32-bit only, I don't think there's much demand for an even lighter desktop than XFCE in a 64-bit capable system. LXDE is available in the 64-bit package repository though, so anyone that wants it can install it using the package manager.

You can download the 13.1beta1 iso image from our sourceforge project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
(md5: 39073308f88c76ad7d15a399a60d1f57)

Feel free to test and report any problems or ideas.
drazenb

Re: Salix LXDE edition 13.1beta1

Post by drazenb »

Thank you very much for the LXDE edition. I have previously installed the LXDE set from the repo and some apps (htop) would not start, some become deselected from the menu (naturally) and the whole GUI set of properties was far less elegant compared to the "stock" XFCE.
BTW, XFCE takes approx 70 Mb of RAM on my old ASUS laptop (P4, 128Mb RAM). It is a VERY low resources laptop and the only distros usable on it are Salix, Vector light (IceWm, 12.1 based) and Puppy/Quirky.
Of the Slackware-based distros, Zenwalk takes approx. the same RAM (bit more) but feels slower regardless of the fact it uses Bfck scheduler. (Netpkg is far too slow on my old machine, compared to Gslapt. Gslapt in Salix works even faster then Gslapt in Vector Light)
So, I take this opportunity to congratulate the Salix founders on so cleverly put-together distribution. It really is not fair comparing Salix XFCE with Vector Light as Vector uses lighter window and file managers. So, Salix LXDE would really be the one to compare and I look forward to it as it hopefully would be THE one to use for older machines.
ikke

Post by ikke »

gapan wrote:Here's something new, an LXDE flavor of Salix. LXDE is even lighter than XFCE and might be a better fit for older systems or underpowered netbooks.

Feel free to test and report any problems or ideas.
Thank you for providing this LXDE edition. Am sure it well be most welcome for a lot of people.

Feel this edition would be the ideal candidate for a LiveCD because LXDE? Any chance we'll get one one day?

Have installed 13.1 on hard disk but am using most of the time the 13.0 LiveCD installed as iso on a usb-stick.

Regards.
winix

Post by winix »

I installed Salix LXDE edition 13.1beta1 on Acer Aspire One. Open until all.

Thank you very much for the LXDE edition.
meanpt

Post by meanpt »

:D I'm pleasantly surprised by this summer offer. Hum ... take care ... I'm sure the 64 bits community will be jelously green :)
Shador

Post by Shador »

Fortunately 64-bit CPUs are backward compatible, whereas the 32-bit community can't praise their CPUs for 64-bit forward compatibility. :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
ikke

Post by ikke »

winix wrote:I installed Salix LXDE edition 13.1beta1 on Acer Aspire One. Open until all.
What do you mean : 'Open until all.'?
winix

Post by winix »

ikke wrote:What do you mean : 'Open until all.'?
This is so translate.google translated my text. I do not speak English.
I mean, that has earned without setting everything - WiFi, webcam, video card ...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

FYI, the default browser for the final LXDE edition will most likely be midori, instead of firefox, which is included in the 13.1beta1 iso.
christian

Post by christian »

Maybe xarchiver would be a better archive manager than file-roller. At least at my old computer (AMD Duron 700 Mhz, 192 MB RAM) the GUI of Xarchiver is faster and smoother than file-roller.
I do not mean compressing of files, which of course takes the same time with both programs, i mean the GUI only.

Best Regards
Christian