Salix LXDE edition 13.1beta1

flux

Re: Salix LXDE edition 13.1beta1

Post by flux »

A great release!

Congratulation!

What about a dynamic menu at right-click on the desktop? I think it is already part of LXDE (menu-cache). I used it with Openbox --> http://mimasgpc.free.fr/openbox-menu-en.html

Thank you,

flux.
drazenb

Post by drazenb »

I have been testing the LXDE b1 and it seems to use 60 Mb of RAM and 15 Mb of SWAP when "idling" on my old machine Asus P4/128 Mb of RAM. I have installed it on a 20 Gb partition + 256 Mb SWAP - and the file system is ext3 (uses less resources). It does not feel much more responsive compared to the outstanding XFCE edition neither it uses much less RAM.
FYI, Vector linux 6.0 light (Based on 12.1) uses 45 Mb of RAM with 5 Mb of SWAP. Puppy 5.01 uses 30 Mb of RAM and 0 SWAP.
autogestion

Post by autogestion »

¡Saludos!

Estoy muy interesado en sistemas operativos para revivir viejos ordenadores. Asi que la aparición de Salix LXDE Editión es una gran noticia para mí. Desde que uso Salix no obtengo más que satisfacciones.
Pero quisiera sugerir para animar a algún desarrolador una Salix con jwm, es el que usa Puppy y al parecer es el mejor para los ordenadores más viejos.

¡Felicidades por este nuevo tanto de Salix!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings!

I am very interested in operative systems to revive old computers. That the publication of Salix LXDE Editión is a big news for me. Since use Salix do not obtain more that satisfactions.
But wanted to suggest to encourage to some developer a Salix with jwm, is the one who uses Puppy and to the opinion is the best for the oldest computers.

Happinesses by this new so much of Salix!

Translated by opentrad.
mjjzf

Post by mjjzf »

christian wrote:Maybe xarchiver would be a better archive manager than file-roller.
Does Xarchiver (or any application) plug into PCManFM2 like it does with Thunar? Does PCManFM have something like Thunar's Custom Actions?
Secondly, doesn't File-Roller add a horrifying number of dependencies?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

christian wrote:Maybe xarchiver would be a better archive manager than file-roller.
I've stopped using Xarchiver some time ago. The new versions sadly never have reached a stable and well usable state for me :|
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

christian wrote:Maybe xarchiver would be a better archive manager than file-roller. At least at my old computer (AMD Duron 700 Mhz, 192 MB RAM) the GUI of Xarchiver is faster and smoother than file-roller.
Xarchiver is really buggy and getting old. It doesn't even support xz compression and with 99% of the packages in the repos using that, it's no option at all.
flux wrote:What about a dynamic menu at right-click on the desktop? I think it is already part of LXDE (menu-cache). I used it with Openbox --> http://mimasgpc.free.fr/openbox-menu-en.html
I think the default desktop menu is better. The openbox menu on right click can be activated through the lxde preferences with a switch and I think it's better suited in a pure openbox environment, not as a part of a DE anyway.
mjjzf wrote:Does Xarchiver (or any application) plug into PCManFM2 like it does with Thunar? Does PCManFM have something like Thunar's Custom Actions?
No, to both.
mjjzf wrote:Secondly, doesn't File-Roller add a horrifying number of dependencies?
No. Not a single one.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

autogestion wrote:But wanted to suggest to encourage to some developer a Salix with jwm, is the one who uses Puppy and to the opinion is the best for the oldest computers.
I'm not sure about jwm, but maybe something geekier will be done in the future. ;)
SoleSoul

Post by SoleSoul »

mjjzf wrote:Does PCManFM have something like Thunar's Custom Actions?
Take a look here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=91426
pizux

Post by pizux »

ive just update my zenity script for create desktop pcmanfm directory launcher perhaps you could add it to openbox right clicl menu m this script is very useful for beginners on lxde try it and give me feedback

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
##script dlc directory-link-creator## open directory with pcmanfm##pizuxmepis ate gmail point com ,thx to anubisg1 IRC#lxde
##the .desktop create got the suffix (dlc-)foo.desktop for dissociate from other one
########################################################################################

DIR() {
cd $HOME

if [[ -e .config/user-dirs.dirs ]]; then
. .config/user-dirs.dirs
else
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
fi

mkdir -p $XDG_DESKTOP_DIR

if [[ $LANG = fr_* ]]; then #####check lang 
TXT=$"Choisir un dossier à lier sur votre bureau"
TXT2=$"Ce lien vers ce dossier existe Déjà, choisissez en un autre ou éffacé le depuis votre bureau"
else 
TXT=$"Choose a directory to link on your desktop"
TXT2=$"This directory link already exist, please choose another one or delete it from your desktop"
fi

name=$(zenity --file-selection \
--directory --title="$TXT") 
if [[ $? -ne 0 ]];then exit; fi;

base=$(basename $name)
cd  $XDG_DESKTOP_DIR

if [[ -e dlc-$base.desktop ]]; then
zenity --warning --text=\
"$TXT2"; cd $HOME ; DIR
else

echo "[Desktop Entry]
Comment=pcmanfm link to directory $name
Name=$base
Exec=pcmanfm $name
Icon=folder
Type=Application
Terminal=false
OnlyShowIn=LXDE;" >>dlc-$base.desktop
DIR
fi
}

DIR
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

pizux wrote:ive just update my zenity script for create desktop pcmanfm directory launcher perhaps you could add it to openbox right clicl menu m this script is very useful for beginners on lxde try it and give me feedback
Sorry, I don't really understand the purpose. Why not just symlink a directory to the desktop if you want it there?