gnome-disk-utility / devicekit

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
damNageHack

gnome-disk-utility / devicekit

Post by damNageHack »

Main advantage vs. gparted: LVM support! 8-) Besides integration of SMART and benchmark features.

There are a lot of patches (e.g. i18n updates etc.) available on git://git.gnome.org/gnome-disk-utility which should be applied to an official package.. Unfortunately, gtk+2 version 2.20 is required for the current git sources. So it seems this application is still under heavy development :o

Rebuild packages from slackware sources:
- lvm2 with configure --enable-applib to get lvm2app library for udisks

Additional dependencies got from slackbuilds.org:
- avahi (for avahi-ui)
- sg3_utils
- libatasmart
- udisks (with configure --enable-lvm2)

SLKBUILD (based on Zenwalk snapshot, thanks bip)

Code: Select all

#Maintainer: Frederic Boulet <bipbip> bipbiponlinux~AT~gmail.com
#Packager: Raphael Groner <raphgro-at-web.de>

pkgname=gnome-disk-utility
pkgver=2.30.1
pkgrel=1rg
#arch=i686
source=("http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2" )
docs=("readme" "install" "copying" "changelog" "authors" "news" "todo" "maintainers")
url=http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/
options=('noautodotnew')

slackdesc=\
(
#|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|
"gnome-disk-utility (Storage devices handler tool)"
"gnome-disk-utility provides libraries and applications for dealing"
"with storage devices."
)

build() {
	cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --enable-gtk-doc="no" --disable-static
	make -j3 || return 1
	make install DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg
} 
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: gnome-disk-utility / devicekit

Post by JRD »

damNageHack wrote:There are a lot of patches (e.g. i18n updates etc.) available on git://git.gnome.org/gnome-disk-utility which should be applied to an official package.
Just to say that it's not the slackware way of doing things. Slackware and therefore Salix, try to use the most vanilla packages for software.
To my opinion (and I feel I'm not the only one), patches while corrected some bugs includes others, prevent to report or debug the software because it's a different version from the official one, and are difficult to maintain.

So, I think if it needs lots of patches to work, then maybe the software is not ready yet.
damNageHack

Re: gnome-disk-utility / devicekit

Post by damNageHack »

JRD wrote:So, I think if it needs lots of patches to work, then maybe the software is not ready yet.
Then I wrote it not clearly enough, sorry. I noticed that there are a lot of translation updates committed to git, but configure script of the current git pull requires gtk+2-2.20 at least to build, so I decided to continue with stable 2.30.1 release and ignore possible language issues. For updates to i18n parts some diffing will be required from git.
Last but not least, I think gnome-disk-utility (aka palimpsest binary) is quite usable now.
And I do not want to commit it as an official package to the repository, therefore I provided only my SLKBUILD with hints to dependencies. Please notice the important fact that lvm2 needs to be rebuilt with lvm2app feature (which is not part of slackware, curiously)
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.