Another SLKBUILDs Repo

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
marcxjo

Another SLKBUILDs Repo

Post by marcxjo »

I've been meaning to do this for ages (at least a year IIRC), and after spending a few days chiseling away at the surface of git, I've pushed my SLKBUILDs repo to Github. This represents the most polished SLKBUILDs I've put together, the highlight of which is a highly customized version of MintMenu for MATE, patched to accommodate Salix's packaging conventions (and also some of its unique toolset). If you use Salix MATE, then I highly suggest taking this one for a spin until MATE finally gets its own whiskermenu (which apparently it just might -- check out the comments!).

I've also updated the build scripts for Prosody and a few Lua libraries it depends on (though I think this was also done on SBo some time ago), scripted builds for a nice IRC setup, and I've got a few other nicknacks you might care to try. Pidgin's Window Merge plugin is awesome if you like the all-in-one interface of Gajim but need a multi-protocol IM client.

In any case, have a look if you're curious, and above all, have fun!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Another SLKBUILDs Repo

Post by gapan »

Wow, that mintmenu must have been a nightmare... A comment for it: don't create the symlinks in the doinst(). Do it in build(). That way the symlinks don't get left behind when removing the package.

Nice work though! It would be great if you could submit those when the time comes for the next release.
marcxjo

Post by marcxjo »

gapan wrote:Wow, that mintmenu must have been a nightmare... A comment for it: don't create the symlinks in the doinst(). Do it in build(). That way the symlinks don't get left behind when removing the package.
It was definitely not the most fun I've ever had packaging a program, that's for sure! X-D

That said, a lot of credit goes to Wolfgang Ulbrich. He put together the original patch set that I ripped for Fedora's build of MintMenu, which was probably hours' worth of work indeed; I just ran through them and (a) made sure they all applied properly when run in the right order, and (b) re-tailored them for Salix. A few of them are actually just versions that only changed by the hunk line numbers to make sure they didn't diverge too far to be properly applied in future releases. (Call it obsessive-compulsive, but I will not be imprecise! X-D)

As for the symlinks, Deleting with spkg actually removed the symlinks added during doinst(), which, I imagine we'll both agree, is weird. I'll try running a dry run via both spkg and removepkg in the next day or two and research what's going on.

In any case, I confess that I wasn't comfortable setting up those symlinks in doinst(), because that seems silly and hackish in the first place, but I kept getting a 'failed to stat' error when I tried to link it in build() (which I eventually realized was because I was linking to "path/to/salix.{png,svg}", not "/path/to/salix.{png,svg}"... note the missing leading slash!). I also realized I'd get that same error if I uninstalled salix-artwork, as some users might be inclined to do, since the symlinks depend on it being installed (I can't imagine, why, though.. I LOVE the last three default papers, especially StairWay). It seems excessive to force it as a dependency just to install a menu that already has an easily customizable icon.

And yet here's the tricky part. Creating the symlinks in build() pulls the actual icon files into the package. You get two copies of salix.svg and three copies of the 22x22 salix.png (each with a new title) after the install step completes, not symlinks leading back to them. That means salix-artwork is a build dependency (but NOT a runtime dependency) of the package as I've built it! X-D Totally didn't expect that to happen.
gapan wrote:Nice work though! It would be great if you could submit those when the time comes for the next release.
Thanks, gapan, and I'd be delighted and honored!

I don't think I've actually said it explicitly yet, so I really have to thank you for coming up with such an awesome distro, and especially ingenious tools like slkbuild. slkbuild in particular is a huge part of what makes Salix an incredibly fun distro (and my personal favorite!), besides the already-awesome package selection.

I came to MATE out of nostalgia when I was learning Ubuntu (I had a short-lived tryst with GNOME 2 playing with Fedora some 6 or 7 years ago), but I couldn't learn to like it. It felt heavy, looked ugly, and too many libraries didn't play well at all yet, even as far in as v1.4. And yet trying the MATE live disk of Salix 13.37, which came packed with MATE 1.2, was mind-boggling, because I loved everything about it out of the box. I usually play with at least one other distro at any given time, and yet I can't seem to find one that I enjoy anywhere near as much as Salix, especially where the MATE experience is concerned.

In other words, I am super-excited to give something back to such an awesome project. :D
icaroperseo
Donor

Post by icaroperseo »

Thanks for sharing!

I'm trying to test MintMenu on my Salix Mate x86_64 and I was able to deduce some dependencies via depfinder being the following:
  • pyinotify
  • python-xlib
  • python-configobj
  • pygobject3
But there is one thing I can not find it: dl python module.

Despite the above, MintMenu is working! Do I need anything else?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by icaroperseo on 11. Apr 2015, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

icaroperseo wrote: But there is one thing I can not find it: gl python module.
Maybe this:

Code: Select all

# PyOpenGL [Not installed]: PyOpenGL (Python binding to OpenGL)

It's available from Slackbuilds via sourcery / slapt-src
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
icaroperseo
Donor

Post by icaroperseo »

laprjns wrote:
icaroperseo wrote: But there is one thing I can not find it: gl python module.
Maybe this:

Code: Select all

# PyOpenGL [Not installed]: PyOpenGL (Python binding to OpenGL)

It's available from Slackbuilds via sourcery / slapt-src
I so sorry! The missing module is dl and not gl. My fault!

icaroperseo
Donor

Post by icaroperseo »