first try at package

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
Shador

Re: first try at package

Post by Shador »

Yes, that's almost it. But not completely:
jbs1136 wrote:extremetuxracer.desktop added. (I thought I had it before :oops: )
You had. I just asked you to add it to source array, because it's a source like extremetuxracer-0.4.tar.gz. The following changes would be needed:
Shador wrote:

Code: Select all

source=("http://downloads.sourceforge.net/extremetuxracer/extremetuxracer-0.4.tar.gz" "http://people.salixos.org/jbs1136/extremetuxracer.desktop")
and

cp $startdir/src/extremetuxracer.desktop $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications/
This is what the man page says about the source array (array = similar to a list):

source This is an array for the source files  needed  to  complete  the
              build.  This  can be anything from a url to a tarball to a local
              personally created patch or .desktop file. If you have more than
              one,  just put each one in quotes and make sure there is a space
              between them and make sure they are inside the parentheses. E.g.
              source=("http://url.tar.gz"   "gcc.path"  "thing.desktop").  For
              cvs, svn and git builds, this variable is not technically neces‐
              sary,  you can leave it empty and fetch the svn or cvs source in
              build(). Or you can create a source tarball from cvs, svn or git
              and use that in the source array.
jbs1136 wrote:stripped the "_" from the icons. This is the way the source came and I didn't change it before. I have now.
Not quite yet. The icon file name especially shouldn't anymore contain references to its size.
For the SLKBUILD this means:

cp $startdir/src/extremetuxracer-0.4/etracericons/etracericon_$i.png $startdir/pkg/usr/share/icons/hicolor/$i\x$i/apps/extremetuxracer.png;
The extremetuxracer.desktop file should only say:

Icon=extremetuxracer
I also changed the file name from "etracericon" to "extremtuxracer" as it's usually nice to have the icon name match the softname, unless not possible.

You should also create a dep (dependencies) file. Usually you should be able to sufficiently pick them up using depfinder. E.g.:

depfinder -fpj2 extremetuxracer-0.4-x86_64-1jbs.txz
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

Made the changes but I have a question. When I installed the pkg it works fine except there is no icon in the menu for the game. Before when I first tried I had the same problem and the only way I solved it was to put the icon in pixmaps. Should I do that again or is there something else I should do.

john
maximus

Post by maximus »

Try logging out and logging back in and see if it appears then.
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

@maximus :oops: That did it, never thought about that. Time to get more coffee. :) Thanks

@Shador, I think I have all of the corrections made now. That bit about the source went right over my head the first time. :lol: I now have it in the slkbuild.

Thanks for your patience,

john
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Building good quality packages for missing applications & making them available on the repo is a great need & one of these things that are extremely helpful to Salix/Slackware community at large. It is a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for all your efforts embracing this steep learning curve. You are doing great! :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Shador

Post by Shador »

jbs1136 wrote:@Shador, I think I have all of the corrections made now. That bit about the source went right over my head the first time. :lol: I now have it in the slkbuild.

Thanks for your patience,
No problem, you're welcome. The package is ok now as far as I'm concerned. 8-)

However, some remarks still. Not anymore about changes to this package. ;) It would be great if you could also build a 32-bit packages, as we try to keep both repos as far as possible in sync. If you have no 32bit system you can easily install one using some kind of virtualization like e.g. VirtualBox. Usually building a package for another arch is only a matter of changing the arch variable if the rest of the slkbuild is written in a portable way (e.g. instead of "lib64" one should use "lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX}", which evaluates properly to "lib" on 32bit and "lib64" on 64bit).

Did you build the package on Salix 13.0 or an upgraded to current(/13.1) version of Salix? In this case it doesn't really matter as I could run it on 64-bit current(/13.1), but further packages intended for inclusion should be built on current(/13.1), as 13.0 has been frozen for package additions and they are often incompatible. Upgrade instructions are in the wiki: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... .0_to_13.1

However, this package is as far as I'm concerned ready for inclusion to Salix64 13.1 repositories. I hope a 32-bit version and some other packages (built on current) are still to come.
Thanks for your contribution and your patience following my instructions. :) :mrgreen:
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

You two have made my day. I tried to do this when I was using Zenwalk and just couldn't get it. And, if you don't mind more questions I would really like to do a few more. This is a big help to me in learning more about Linux and finally being able to give back something.

I do have another computer that currently has Slackware on it but I plan to change it to Salix in the next couple of days anyway. It will only run 32 so I can use that for the other packages. Which should I build first, 32 or 64 bit versions or does it make a difference?

I will upgrade this computer to 13.1 in the next couple of days also.

Thanks again,

john
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

Added the Salix-32 builds to the first post.

john