Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this. Don't bother any more, because I don't think it can be solved and it's not a problem of the Salix distribution.
Avahi was mentioned as a possibility in the two discussions. Because my problems look the same or similar, I wanted to explore that more closely.
Yes, I did, and LibreOffice shows exactly the same behavior.
I describe what I have observed. In all following cases, the LibreOffice splash screen is shown, showing the loading progress:
1. iowriter and iocalc: If the program is started in a console without specifying a file, the typical application window appears with the window title "Unknown - LibreOffice Writer/Calc" and everything is fine and one can work. The button in the tray shows "Unknown - LibreOffice Writer". The applications reacts in the same way, if it is started from the system menu by clicking on LibreOffice 6.4 Writer or LibreOffice 6.4 Calc.
2. iowriter and iocalc: If the program is started in a console with an argument as a file to be edited, a window with the title "LibreOffice 6.4" appears. The button in the tray has the same label. The window area is grey like all windows (according to my system-wide default setting). When the minimize icon in the window title is clicked, the window disappears as expected. The button label in the tray changes to e.g. "mmm.odt - LibreOffice Writer", where mmm.odt is the document to be edited.
If I now click on this button and bring the application to the foreground, a window with the title "mmm.odt - LibreOffice Writer" appears. The window area is now black. After a while, the application appears with the expected look and content of the document. One can work with it. As far as checked, all functions are available.
These are the two processes that run all the time:
There is no difference between the state before the described minimizing and the state after the window was brought back to the foreground, but the content has changed as described. There is also no difference in the entire process table, except for the time consumption.
Code: Select all
2415 pts/1 Sl+ 0:00 /usr/lib64/libreoffice6.4/program/oosplash --writer mmm.odt 2443 pts/1 Rl+ 0:21 /usr/lib64/libreoffice6.4/program/soffice.bin --writer mmm.odt --splash-pipe=5
Exactly the same procedure is done when one click on a document file in the data manager (e.g. on mmm.odt).
3. loimpress called in the console shows no output. The process list contains the following associated processes:
With Ctrl-C loimpress terminates without any output and the process list is cleaned up.
Code: Select all
1384 ? Sl 0:00 /usr/lib64/libreoffice6.4/program/oosplash --impress 1411 ? Sl 0:01 /usr/lib64/libreoffice6.4/program/soffice.bin --impress --splash-pipe=5 1412 ? Z 0:00 [soffice.bin] <defunct>
Impress started from the system menu by clicking on it has no effect, but the mouse pointer is now permanently combined with an hourglass. The only remedy is a kill in a console. The same happens, if Impress is called from within LibreOffice (soffice).
4. lodraw called from the console or started from the system menu, shows a small window with an error message. No additional action.
5. iobase called from the console or started from the system menu, shows a small information window and offers to send an error report and then offers to continue working in safe mode. After that the appearance of soffice becomes visible. Started from the console, one get two times a message after quitting:
The behavior descriptions for 3, 4, and 5 are similar to the descriptions in the previously mentioned discussions.
Code: Select all
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
Thanks, I noticed.
And libreoffice-6.2.8-x86_64-1alien.txz for Slackware 14.2 does not work either. At startup a missing lib is reported, whose name I did not remember. I think I have to take a closer look at the innards of Salix and Slackware and the differences between them.
The Salix installation in use is from the early days of Salix64 Xfce 14.2 and has never been renewed but is up to date. I cannot perform a new Salix installation at this time. But I would reinstall the Window Manager and maybe GTKx as well (program files, libs and so on), and in such a way that all settings are lost. Maybe something got broken and this procedure might help. But I don't know the names of all the required packages and I'm not even sure if it's practical. If a hardware failure exists, I could not find anything so far. The hdd is being monitored, there's nothing suspicious. For testing purposes, I swapped the two memory bars, but there's no difference.
Thank you djemos, the md5sum of libreoffice-6.4.5-x86_64-1dj.txz is correct.
Code: Select all
fedd77d46f7a50728cd50abdc6ce3662 libreoffice-6.4.5-x86_64-1dj.txz 6aac95f011f6b106e428b54bd29de403 libreoffice-help-de-6.4.5-x86_64-1dj.txz e57b705f5825b44512477dc442bdbfcc libreoffice-l10n-de-6.4.5-x86_64-1dj.txz