Updated SDL2 packages

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
Papasot
Donor

Updated SDL2 packages

Post by Papasot »

Salix 15.0 includes SDL2 packages about one year old. They work pretty well, but latest SDL2 versions aren't just bug fix releases, they also add functionality which I happen to need, so I decided to create updated SDL2 Salix 15.0 packages, specifically: Those are the versions most GNU/Linux distributions (and FreeBSD) have in their repositories. From what I read, they are also the final versions of SDL2 (development is focused on the SDL3 branch now, but SDL2 will remain necessary for a long time because many applications depend on it).
Now, I know Salix doesn't officially accept package updates except for security bug fixes, so I didn't submit those in SourceForge Salix package submissions. However, if you use SDL2 a lot, I guess it is worth installing those packages instead of the ones included in the repositories - considering those are the most recent (and final) SDL2 releases, which are not expected to change anymore.
You can install all the packages above or just some of them, combined with some of the SDL2 packages in the repositories. The SDL2 API not only makes this possible without any issues, but the API itself includes procedures detecting the SDL2 version an application was compiled with and the active SDL2 linked version (which are not necessarily the same). I just made my personal local repository and placed those updated packages there with higher priority, replacing the ones in the repositories. If you use SDL2 for development, sooner or later you will need those packages as I did. If you have SDL2 installed just because some applications need it (such as gimp, for example), you probably don't need to bother with upgrades.

Note that you will also find SDL2_gfx in Salix repositories. There is no need to upgrade that one. SDL2_gfx is not part of SDL2 bundle (it is developed independently), and the version in the repos is up-to-date anyway.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
Papasot
Donor

Re: Updated SDL2 packages

Post by Papasot »

Well, never say never again... It seems there was a minor upgrade in SDL2 core package, despite the fact it was considered as the "final" SDL2 release. I updated the package but I cannot modify my post above. However the first link above actually leads to the updated package, namely SDL2-2.26.4 instead of SDL2-2.26.3. The rest of the SDL2 packages remain the same.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I corrected the link. :-)
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Yet another update. The core library is now SDL2-2.26.5. Again, only minor bugfixes and improvements. This time there is no change in the end-user API. The rest of the SDL2 libraries remain the same.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

And yet another maintenance update, core library is now SDL 2.28.0 (linked directory in the original post was updated accordingly). The other packages remain the same.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Minor bugfix release for the core package, which is now SDL2 2.28.1. Linked directory updated.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Even though the links in the first post mention an outdated version of SDL2, the actual linked packages are up-to-date, and I will keep them that way. As soon I'm aware a new version is out, it will be there (after testing, of course). So if anyone is interested, just ignore the version mentioned above. I can't edit the first post to replace the link descriptions to "Latest SDL2", "Latest SDL2_image", etc, but they will lead you to the latest versions anyway.

The library that is still updated from time to time is the core library (SL2 version 2.28.5 at the time of writing - mostly minor bugfixes). The other libraries remain the same as in the first post, but that may change in the future.