awesome wm

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
mooninite

awesome wm

Post by mooninite »

I've been using awesome wm in debian for some time- currently at version 3.4.6 in Testing. Reviewing the projects home page shows there has been some success building under Slackware 13, however it is unclear exactly what the dependencies are from their documentation. The projects home page is located at http://awesome.naquadah.org/ There is currently no slackbuild for it, either.
If anyone has built it under Salix I'd be interested in your process. If the packagers feel like taking it on, that would be very cool. Thanks for reviewing this post. If I have any luck building it solo, I'll post the process.
Here is some detail gleaned from apt:

Code: Select all

$ awesome --version
awesome v3.4.6 (Hooch)
 • Build: Jul 14 2010 07:14:19 for i686 by gcc version 4.4.4 (@biber)
 • D-Bus support: ✔

$ apt-cache depends awesome
awesome
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libcairo2
  Depends: libdbus-1-3
  Depends: libev3
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libimlib2
  Depends: liblua5.1-0
  Depends: libpango1.0-0
  Depends: libstartup-notification0
  Depends: libx11-6
  Depends: libxcb-atom1
  Depends: libxcb-aux0
  Depends: libxcb-event1
  Depends: libxcb-icccm1
  Depends: libxcb-image0
  Depends: libxcb-keysyms1
  Depends: libxcb-property1
  Depends: libxcb-randr0
  Depends: libxcb-render-util0
  Depends: libxcb-render0
  Depends: libxcb-shape0
  Depends: libxcb-shm0
  Depends: libxcb-xinerama0
  Depends: libxcb-xtest0
  Depends: libxcb1
  Depends: libxdg-basedir1
  Depends: menu
  Depends: dbus-x11
  Recommends: x11-xserver-utils
  Recommends: rlwrap
zAchAry

Re: awesome wm

Post by zAchAry »

First of all, welcome to the Salix OS forum ;)
mooninite wrote:If anyone has built it under Salix I'd be interested in your process.
Maybe you'll be interested to read this page (salix eeepc 1000h screenshots), I've found that page through this thread by rhadamanthys.

Hope that helps.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
mooninite

Post by mooninite »

Thanks for the links and the welcome. I'm going to like this place, everyone is pretty laid back.
As far as the build process goes, that's going to be the fun part for me. My Slack-Foo is pretty rusty as it's been a few years. I reviewed the links but didn't see anything to get me started. The best thing I could do, I guess, is review what Salix ships out-of-the-box and make some package comparisons. Once you get used to awesome, everything else feels heavy- and the fact you can pretty much ignore the mouse is an added bonus. Running a "fat" awesome weighs in around 80MB of RAM usage.
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

I could be wrong but in order to build awesome you have to rebuild a couple of slackware packages. Rebuilding of packages that come from slackware is a no-no for the salix developers so I doubt that there will be an awesomewm package in the repos anytime soon

If you want a tiling window manager you could try scrotwm wich is in the repos. I've been using it for a month or so and it's really cool so I recomend you give it a try :mrgreen:

And welcome to Salix, I hope you have fun :mrgreen:
mooninite

Post by mooninite »

Duncan_Idaho wrote:I could be wrong but in order to build awesome you have to rebuild a couple of slackware packages. Rebuilding of packages that come from slackware is a no-no for the salix developers so I doubt that there will be an awesomewm package in the repos anytime soon

If you want a tiling window manager you could try scrotwm wich is in the repos. I've been using it for a month or so and it's really cool so I recomend you give it a try :mrgreen:

And welcome to Salix, I hope you have fun :mrgreen:
Fair enough. I'll break it myself. ;)
Before I do that, I'll check out your suggestion!
Thanks everyone.
rhadamanthys

Post by rhadamanthys »

Hi,

I had to rebuild cairo with xcb-support (--enable-xcb=yes, default is no), and build libev and libxdg-basedir.
All other dependencies are already in slackware/salix repos (I think)

You can try the four packages (awesome, cairo, libev, libxdg-basdir) from
http://radamanthys.de/salix/repo/

Hope they work.

Edit: add libxdg-basedir
Last edited by rhadamanthys on 26. Sep 2010, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Thanks for this contribution.
Why should I use awesome wm?
I do not want to start a flamewar, but I am really and honestly interested in the PROs and CONs.
@zachary, thanks for the links.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Because it's awesome! :mrgreen: :lol:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
rhadamanthys

Post by rhadamanthys »

damNageHack wrote:I am really and honestly interested in the PROs and CONs.
It's just a matter of taste. I like tiling wms, because you can do all the desktop/wm stuff with a few shortcuts (which you can fit to your needs), and because windows can be arranged automatically.I find both extremly useful on a netbook, where you have a small screen and where using the touchpad is a real pain.

But it's another concept and you have to get used to the shortcuts.

awesome is just a fork of dwm. You can configure it via a scripting language (lua), it has dbus-support, some eye-candy stuff. I think the author of awesome is also involved in the freedesktop project. So awesome is kind of modern tiling wm.

With version 3 they switched from xlib to xcb. So it was always some work to install it. But as mooninite mentioned it arrived in debian testing. So it seems that awesome (and xcb) is getting more and more popular.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

@rhadamanthys Thank you for your answer. That makes things more clearer to me :)
I was just wondering why somebody would like to have such a "freaky" window manager. :geek: