Agender for SalixOS LXDE Edition

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
zAchAry

Agender for SalixOS LXDE Edition

Post by zAchAry »

Agender is a cross-plataform schedule/calendar tool. It was written to be small, simple and work on any computer with any OS. Agender is free software, it is licensed under the GNU General Public License.

With Agender you can associate some notes with a date or with no date in particular if you mark the note as sticky, you simply start it and it will create a task-bar icon and stay in the background, without annoying you, it can also be configured to run on login.
It, also, has a system tray.

Home page, Project page, Screenshots

(via: Torrent Search | SourceForge.net - Related Projects)
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
damNageHack

Re: Agender for SalixOS LXDE Edition

Post by damNageHack »

Wanted! It looks quite cool. Maybe I'll give it a shot later.
Just one question: Is it possible to synchronize the events, import & export features?
Which format is used to store the events? It should support the iCalendar format to be as best usable. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ap ... ar_support
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo- ... -in-xml-06
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Why not using a synchronization application like Grsync (it is in the repository), just look up for the folder where the notes/event are stored at.

Personally*, I'm for a uniform storage format (and open, free from patents etc.) because otherwise you may find yourself bound to applications like Evolution, Firefox*, etc. or you can port, manually, writings, from one application to the other...

Shador

Post by Shador »

zAchAry wrote:Why not using a synchronization application like Grsync (it is in the repository), just look up for the folder where the notes/event are stored at.
Because that might not satisfy everybody's need. First of all it requires ssh/rsync for remote synchronisation or at least a remote filesystem. Another problem is that there a no hooks which would immediatly transfer changes as it can only be run scheduled.
zAchAry wrote:Personally*, I'm for a uniform storage format (and open, free from patents etc.) because otherwise you may find yourself bound to applications like Evolution, Firefox*, etc. or you can port, manually, writings, from one application to the other...
That would limit everybody to the same format with the same advantages and disadvantages. New formats are not (always) developed just for fun. They are often optimized to provide an efficient solution for certain demands. For example Picasa has some sort of great caching format that allows one to scroll through image collections seamlessly. If they had used another format cache lookups might not have been fast enough. On the other hand sqlite allows firefox, thunderbird and many more applications to access really big amounts of data efficiently. A simple text file format would take much more time to perform search operations unless all data would be stored more efficiently in memory. But loading it into memory would consume time and lots of memory when there is much data.
So please, don't force application developers to use a bad solution, when they know better.

By the way, there is a widely deployed calendar format: iCalendar (ics). Although most calendar applications don't use it as their storage backend, lots of them allow to export into that format.

Personally, I'm using a solution based on horde on a server and thunderbird. This allows me to have a calendar stored with horde accessible as remote calendar with multiple installations of thunderbird. The calendar is cached locally so even if I can't reach my server, I still have a fairly recent version locally. The communication between thunderbird and the remote calendar is afaik based on ics. Finally it even provides me access through a web frontend.

I guess, I'm diverging too much from the original topic of this thread. Therefor I won't discuss this anymore in this thread.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Shador wrote:So please, don't force application developers to use a bad solution, when they know better.
So a developer should use her/his format of choice and also add functions to handle other formats as well, if possible.
Shador wrote:By the way, there is a widely deployed calendar format: iCalendar (ics). Although most calendar applications don't use it as their storage backend, lots of them allow to export into that format.
+1 for that.
Shador wrote:I guess, I'm diverging too much from the original topic of this thread. Therefor I won't discuss this anymore in this thread.
It is fine, really. Thank you, for the criticism and the bit of knowledge, it was informative ;)

@laprjns
Thank you very much for another, well done, package.

Code: Select all

http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/Agender/1.1.7.1/
But I'm not in a hurry, so, please, do not bother much, I believe that all of us can wait to the next week.

Agender requires wxGTK (wxWidgets toolkit for GTK), and that takes ~21MB, so I assume that it won't be in the SalixOS LXDE Edition by default.
Last edited by zAchAry on 11. Oct 2010, 07:11, edited 3 times in total.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Ticket open to add to the repository. Until then here's the packages
http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/Agender/1.1.7.1/
As said earlier, Agender requires wxGTK. Also, the bin file is Agender, not agender

Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
virtuosonic

Post by virtuosonic »

hi, Agender uses a .ini style file to save the notes but it'll change to xml soon, what's the problem with being called Agender instead of agender ussually you don't type that command you simply mark autostart and it'll start on login supports Fluxbox, IceWM & freedesktop.org (GNOME, KDE, LXDE, ETC). If you give me instructions on how to install it i can add them to the Agender website. And no currently it doesn't support export the only way is manually copying the ~/.Agender-curren user.txt file, and passing that file in the cmdlline:

Code: Select all

Agender -c notes.txt
BTW what is iCal?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

virtuosonic wrote:...what's the problem with being called Agender instead instead of agender ....
No problem, I was just pointing it out.
virtuosonic wrote:If you give me instructions on how to install it i can add them to the Agender website.
It's in the Salix repo now so it simply "slapt-get -i Agender "
Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
virtuosonic

Post by virtuosonic »

thanks! i'll add it soon. Agender 1.1.8.1 was out his night
k0Do

Post by k0Do »

Check out Project Hamster!

Very nice screen shots.
http://projecthamster.wordpress.com/screenshots/
Hamster is written in PyGTK, using SQLite for data storage.
Code here: http://git.gnome.org/browse/hamster-applet.

Sometimes I want to be an hamster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms3QdGIzltU