Enlightenment DR17

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
damNageHack

Enlightenment DR17

Post by damNageHack »

Yes, it's true! E17 (and not E16 which is already quite old, thanks gapan for the package already in the repository) reached finally and officially beta state some days ago. No DukeNukem4Ever and Hurd joke. :lol: :geek:

http://www.enlightenment.org/
What is Enlightenment?
Enlightenment is not just a window manager for Linux/X11 and others, but also a whole suite of libraries to help you create beautiful user interfaces with much less work than doing it the old fashioned way and fighting with traditional toolkits, not to mention a traditional window manager. It covers uses from small mobile devices like phones all the way to powerful multi-core desktops (which are the primary development environment).
Building Blocks
Enlightenment, the window manager is built on top of building blocks known as EFL (the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries).
For more information and downloads, please consult
http://www.enlightenment.org/p.php?p=download&l=en

Latest downloads directly from here:
http://download.enlightenment.org/snapshots/LATEST/
EFL core libraries: http://download.enlightenment.org/releases/

I know that there are some SlackBuilds available on Slackbuilds.org, but they seem to be outdated.

I would really appreciate having that nice Desktop available for Salix ;)

I can not build all those packages for my own due to I only have my crappy laptop with me here in Copenhagen.

Because I tried already the latest snapshot on Fedora with their packages, I can only recommend that new and very nice piece of software. 8-)

EDIT:
My idea was to just put all core libraries for EFL into only one package.
But it is difficult to handle with SLKBUILD, you have to tweak pkg-config, search pathes for headers and linker files.
The shell could be one package for its own and maybe also a themes package available.
pwatk

Re: Enlightenment DR17

Post by pwatk »

I used to use E17 for a while and I'd be interested to see how it's progressed.

I'm stacked up for the next week at work (lots of overtime) so I'll put this on my TODO list unless anyone beats me to it.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

pwatk, thanks for your effort.
Zenwalk seems also to have some packages for E17, although last updated in March 2008 but includes 1.0.0 versions. :? :o
http://zur.zenwalk.org/view/packages/find/e17
ECOREVERSION='0.9.9.039'
EDBVERSION='1.0.5.007'
EDJEVERSION='0.5.0.039'
EETVERSION='0.9.10.039'
EFREETVERSION='0.0.3.004'
EMBRYOVERSION='0.9.1.039'
EMOTIONVERSION='0.0.1.006'
ENGRAVEVERSION='0.1.0'
ENHANCEVERSION='0.0.1'
EPEGVERSION='0.9.0.009'
EPSILONVERSION='0.3.0.009'
ESMARTVERSION='0.9.0.009'
ETKVERSION='0.1.0.004'
EVASVERSION='0.9.9.039'
EWLVERSION='0.5.1.009'
EXMLVERSION='0.1.1'
IMLIB2LOADERSVERSION='1.4.0.001'
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

As requested I've quickly put together the e17 base packages.

I'm not submitting this to the repo because enlightenment segfaults on my 64bit setup and I don't have time to find out why and fix it at the moment. If you find out before I do then I'll update the packages and reconsider submitting them.

eina
eet
evas
ecore
embryo
edje
efreet
e_dbus
eeze
enlightenment
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Wow, really great to read about progress. I am going to have a look to your packages.
Could you also build some packages for x86?
What about putting all libraries (except enlightenment itself) in just one package? It is really complicated and confusing with so many additional dependencies.
Please let me know if you can fix the segfault on your system.
And before suggesting those packages for the repository, we should consider that E17 is still in beta state.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

damNageHack wrote:Wow, really great to read about progress. I am going to have a look to your packages.
Could you also build some packages for x86?
Sorry but no. The SLKBUILD scripts will create packages for your system, the build order is as shown and the only additional package I installed was lua.
damNageHack wrote:What about putting all libraries (except enlightenment itself) in just one package? It is really complicated and confusing with so many additional dependencies.
It's not impossible. It's certainly easier to have them separate but I'm not sure if I'd even want them as one package. It annoys me sometimes that Xfce is one package!
damNageHack wrote:Please let me know if you can fix the segfault on your system.
I'll try to look at it this weekend.
damNageHack wrote:And before suggesting those packages for the repository, we should consider that E17 is still in beta state.
I'm not so worried about the beta tag since e17 has been in development for so long anyway but I only submit packages that I have an interest with so it encourages me to maintain them. I'm not sure if I'm that interested in e17 yet.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /pwatk/packages/xap/enlightenment/0.16.999.52995/enlightenment-0.16.999.52995.tar.gz on this server.
Can you please fix that? It is the only file that does not work.
According to the packages for i486: I think we want to have both i486 and x86_64 in the repository then if you decide to maintain them. ;)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

damNageHack wrote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /pwatk/packages/xap/enlightenment/0.16.999.52995/enlightenment-0.16.999.52995.tar.gz on this server.
Can you please fix that? It is the only file that does not work.
According to the packages for i486: I think we want to have both i486 and x86_64 in the repository then if you decide to maintain them. ;)
I've uploaded the source archive again but the SLKBUILD will automatically download it from the enlightenment web site anyway.

FYI, I don't have to submit packages for both arch's because the admin's always build a package for the alternate one anyway so it always appears in both repo's!
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Some test results:

Firefox and XMMS are set as the default preferred applications. It looks not good if they are not installed, e.g. Firefox is no default in LXDE as well as XMMS in both LXDE and XFCE. Maybe remove them from the default configuration.

I get two errors directly after the login that some module called "exebuf" could not be executed, if I wanted to disable it.

The black/white theme looks not very typical for Salix, so maybe it would be good to provide an alternative Salix-like one (at least change the colour black to green ;) ).

I tried to look how to fix the above things. Configuration files of Enlightenment seem to be in a strange binary format. It is not possible to edit or patch them directly without deeper knowledge.

I can not reproduce any segfault here.

I used a clean Xorg installation with your packages and lua.

EDIT:
I looked into the official documentation, but it seems to be holey, especially the configuration part - which is important to be able to adopt for a customized distribution like Salix. Otherwise, we would probably look into the source itself, but this is too time consuming for me.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I've played with is on and off all day but no matter what I do enlightenment is totally unstable.

I've moved my build scripts here so I can revisit this at a later date.