mediakeys-daemon an alternative for gnome-settings-daemon

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
zAchAry

mediakeys-daemon an alternative for gnome-settings-daemon

Post by zAchAry »

A lot of multimedia-programs support the org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys D-Bus interface of gnome-settings-daemon. The MediaKeys-Daemon is a clone of that dbus-interface using python, with the additional possibility to execute commands on this interface. The following commands can be called:
  • play
  • pause
  • stop
  • next (track in playlist)
  • previous (track in playlist)
This makes it possible to bind the mediakeys on your keyboard with the corresponding actions on the interface, and thus control every running media-player. The Usage page describes the integration with Openbox.

Edit: the homepage address is <http://code.google.com/p/mediakeys-daemon/>
Last edited by zAchAry on 4. Nov 2010, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
damNageHack

Re: mediakeys-daemon an alternative for gnome-settings-daemo

Post by damNageHack »

Alternatives:

* Exaile with notification icon

* XMMS plugin for XFCE

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel- ... mms-plugin

;Image

Using keyboard shortcuts in a Xorg environment is for purists. :evil: :mrgreen: :geek:
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Where is the button "useless" for a post on the forum? I would like to click on it for the previous message...
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

JRD wrote:Where is the button "useless" for a post on the forum? I would like to click on it for the previous message...
Not really, to be honest I think that it is not the most useful thing and there is a small chance that I will use it much, if at all, I'm using the alternatives that damNageHack just proposed, as well, and I'm completely agree with him about it (thanks for the effort - uploading the photos) ;)

I just wanted to make more people to be aware of it so we'll have a FULL FEATURED and INDEPENDENT Desktop Environment without installing the heavy GNOME, which is the best desktop, along with the heavy KDE - to accomplish this purpose/target.

More poor people to have more productivity, that's the goal, for me :)
More productivity with less resources.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:Where is the button "useless" for a post on the forum? I would like to click on it for the previous message...
So it's not just me who is thinking that zach and dh are talking about completly different things ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

mediakeys-daemon sound cool! (homepage here)
I think this could be a good addition in general, as most laptops come with media keys
and I would like to have this than rather to use on-screen controls, like recommended by dh, because my keyboard ALREADY HAS dedicated media keys, so that kind of redundancy is annoying to me :ugeek: (besides I don like exaile :twisted: )
Shador

Post by Shador »

Duncan_Idaho wrote:mediakeys-daemon sound cool! (homepage here)
I think this could be a good addition in general, as most laptops come with media keys
and I would like to have this than rather to use on-screen controls, like recommended by dh, because my keyboard ALREADY HAS dedicated media keys, so that kind of redundancy is annoying to me :ugeek: (besides I don like exaile :twisted: )
Doesn't .Xmodmap with custom keybindings in openbox, Xfce BLUB Manager, ... work alone too? At least with mpd + mpc. :twisted: ;)

Honestly, I think it's a nice piece of software, which probably makes it easier for beginners and users which use players without cli interface, but not for mpd users. :P

BTW: I also don't see the direct connection between the original topic and damnagehack's comment.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Shador wrote:Doesn't .Xmodmap with custom keybindings in openbox, Xfce BLUB Manager, ... work alone too? At least with mpd + mpc. :twisted: ;)

Honestly, I think it's a nice piece of software, which probably makes it easier for beginners and users which use players without cli interface, but not for mpd users. :P

BTW: I also don't see the direct connection between the original topic and damnagehack's comment.
damNageHack continued this topic, with me, via Jabber and he made the same point that you did (99.999...999%, at least). :D
He should have done it here, though. :roll:
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Thanks for your credits. ;) :D
So the "useless" button is itself for here completely useless. :mrgreen: