Dropbox

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
f.bluedevil

Dropbox

Post by f.bluedevil »

Hi,

It would be great if Dropbox could be added to the repositories. Dropbox is a file transfer, storage, file sync application that allows you to easily sync/transfer files between different platforms, Linux, Mac, Windows, iPads ...etc. It is extremely easy to use and a very useful utility for modern times.

You can find application information and the source code at dropbox.com. Since this is my first post the forum rules won't allow me to post a URL.

Thanks!
pevsner

Re: Dropbox

Post by pevsner »

Check http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=dropbox&sv=13.1 for slackbuild.
There's a plugin for thunar-dropbox too.
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

Thank you pevsner. Being new to Salix and Slackware in general, I am also new to slackbuild, but I'm sure there is plenty of information on the subject, so I'll do some research and hopefully I should have DropBox added soon.

Again, my thanks
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You can get it with slapt-src:

Code: Select all

slapt-src -u
slapt-src -i dropbox
f.bluedevil

Post by f.bluedevil »

You can get it with slapt-src:
hmmm... That was way too easy, maybe I should return the manual.

Just kidding of course. :D

Thanks gapan
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Hello All,

New Salix/Slackware user but I've been using Linux for about 5 years now. Trying to learn the ways of Slack and I am really liking Salix.

I chose the Mate DE 64-bit version and the commands listed in this thread to install Dropbox do not seem to work on this 64-bit version. It does install just fine on my laptop which is running the Mate 32-bit version. Is there different commands for the 64-bit versions?

TIA
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

kwisher wrote:Hello All,

New Salix/Slackware user but I've been using Linux for about 5 years now. Trying to learn the ways of Slack and I am really liking Salix.

I chose the Mate DE 64-bit version and the commands listed in this thread to install Dropbox do not seem to work on this 64-bit version. It does install just fine on my laptop which is running the Mate 32-bit version. Is there different commands for the 64-bit versions?

TIA
"Does not work" doesn't mean anything at all.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

You are correct, that was a pretty lame response and I will try to do better in the future. What I meant was that the command you provided would not install DropBox on my listed Salix system. I did not record the error message, sorry. I believe I ended up using SBOPKG to install the app with success.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Maybe some missing dependencies?

If you choose the info tag while hoovering over a package in Sourcery (GUI front end for slapt-src), it will often list the needed dependencies for that package (try first with slapt-get/gslapt to install missing dependencies).

Else, you can usually find info @ missing dependencies in the last lines of the failed error message from slapt-src/sourcery.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.