Potamus

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
4-stroke

Potamus

Post by 4-stroke »

A simple audio player.

http://offog.org/code/potamus.html

Please... ;)
zAchAry

Re: Potamus

Post by zAchAry »

+1 I like it very much and it has its own codecs, if I recall correctly.

also, that's where I learned how to cook rice http://offog.org/recipes/rice.html :P
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

so Potamus knows nothing about the files it's playing other than their names
Even no tag support. That's what I call plain and simple...

... and useless :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

thenktor wrote:... and useless :mrgreen:
About Potamus wrote:It was written as a reaction to players like Rhythmbox that use a complex database to keep track of a music collection. My preference instead is to make use of the filesystem for sorting music, so Potamus knows nothing about the files it's playing other than their names, and tries to make it as easy as possible to use your file manager to locate and play music.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It was the knowledge that players have of files other than of their names that drove me to the command line. I don't want an ipod, I want a cdplayer with no scratches. No doubt half an hour of research would teach me how to stop e.g. Exaile using its helpful organisational features, and a week would teach me to live with them. First sox and then mplayer saved me the bother, e.g.

mplayer foo/bar/Mozart/Quartets/Amadeus/*KXXX*/*mp3

except the only thing is it doesn't seem to like Monkey Audio.

OFF TOPIC

Incidentally zAchAry, which method did you adopt with rice? I go for absorption: very low heat once simmering, 1:2 rice:water, no washing beforehand, and absolutely no removing the lid; when the time is nearly up I listen to the pot untiI can I hear there is no more water, then turn it off and leave to rest for five or ten minutes, still without removing the lid. This also works for brown rice but depending on the type it might need a bit more water and certainly more time.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

zAchAry wrote:
thenktor wrote:... and useless :mrgreen:
About Potamus wrote:It was written as a reaction to players like Rhythmbox that use a complex database to keep track of a music collection. My preference instead is to make use of the filesystem for sorting music, so Potamus knows nothing about the files it's playing other than their names, and tries to make it as easy as possible to use your file manager to locate and play music.
My music is perfectly sorted on the file system, but still I want to have the advantages of tags ;) I did not want to offend any users of this player, it's just not the right one for me.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)