Weather apps

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
Tim CowChip

Re: Weather apps

Post by Tim CowChip »

laprjns wrote:Here's a SLKBUILD to build adesklets: ftp://laprjns.com/in/adesklets/
Just download all three files ( SLKBUILD, adesklet source and the patch files) to the same directory and run

Code: Select all

fakeroot slkbuild -X
I didn't have to to fire up my 64 bit machine to build the x64 package but the slkbuild did successfully build the 32 bit package. Also didn't have time to actually install and run the package because you need to download applets and get them configured correctly.
You should also know that the project has been discontinued by the developer.
Thank you, laprjns. I was aware that the developer discontinued the adesklets project. I remember getting a recent patch from Arch's AUR to make it work with newer versions of python.
I was able to build and install an adesklets package, but not an adesklets-weatherforecast package, so unfortunately I wasn't able to use your SLKBUILD as it is.
I was able modified your SLKBUILD to make gdesklets-0.36.3-x86_64-1rl.txz however.
It requires glibc-solibs which is excluded in Salix Gslapt and libgtop which doesn't build successfully with Sourcery. I got a build from Slackbuilds.org that worked.

gdesklets GoodWeather doesn't work for my location USOR0057 like adesklets-wetherforecast does, but it does work for USOR0344 (40 miles east) and USOR0353 (30 miles west).
ImageImage
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tim CowChip wrote:It requires glibc-solibs which is excluded in Salix Gslapt and libgtop which doesn't build successfully with Sourcery.
There is absolutely nothing that requires glibc-solibs. You already have the full glibc package installed. And libgtop builds fine here.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

The gdesklets package that I installed said it required glibc-solibs http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... k-required. Is that included in the full glibc package? I guess that would explain why it was excluded in gslapt.

libgtop builds fine here too, just not with Sourcery.
ImageImage
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tim CowChip wrote:The gdesklets package that I installed said it required glibc-solibs http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... k-required. Is that included in the full glibc package? I guess that would explain why it was excluded in gslapt.
That is a very nice case of sloppy packaging. Please read: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/C ... itories%3F
Tim CowChip wrote:libgtop builds fine here too, just not with Sourcery.
It builds fine with Sourcery. If you won't say what the problem is, nobody can help you.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

GSlapt has a Files tab which shows the full contents of an installed package. Also, in this case:
Tim CowChip wrote:... glibc-solibs ... Is that included in the full glibc package?
Salix Fluxbox 13.37 has glibc installed, though I've yet to find any match for "glibc-solibs" using the grep and find commands in Terminal.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I've already told you. You already have the full glibc package. That includes everything that is in the glibc-solibs package.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

I really couldn't check the files included with glibc in gslapt from my Absolute Linux install that I was using when I made my quoted post.
Now that I am using my Salix install, I have no desire to check all the files included with glibc with the files tab in gslapt. I'll take gapan's word for it.

When I saw that the dependencies at http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... k-required listed glibc-solibs and I saw glibc-solibs available (though excluded) in gslapt, I just installed it.

Sourcery didn't build libgtop for me but I was able to build it using the files from Slackbuld.org. Sourcery won't build a lot of things for me. There is usually a missing dependency listed in the build log. I can install it then re-try the Sourcery build. Not the case for libgtop. If anyone wants me to test Sourcery on my machine, I'll be happy post any and all error messages and build logs, but at the time I didn't feel that I needed to ask for any help.

I guess all this makes me a sloppy packager. Maybe some knowledgeable packager could bulid adesklets-weatherforecast, conkyforecast or gdesklets for me (my original reason for this post was to request one or all of these packages), or maybe I have no business trying to find out if the sun is going to shine while running a minimalist window manager in Salix.

I am curious as to why glibc-solibs is in the repository at all if "There is absolutely nothing that requires glibc-solibs"

Why do men have nipples on their chest? Is that God's way of telling us "if you had them, that's where they'd be."?
ImageImage
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Tim CowChip wrote:When I saw that the dependencies at http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... k-required listed glibc-solibs and I saw glibc-solibs available (though excluded) in gslapt, I just installed it.
You really shouldn't have. There's a reason this package is blacklisted in slapt-get/gslapt. If in the future you upgrade your glibc packages, unless you really know what you're doing, your system will not boot after the upgrade. Your problem starts from wanting to install crappy packages from slacky.eu.
Tim CowChip wrote:Sourcery didn't build libgtop for me but I was able to build it using the files from Slackbuld.org. Sourcery won't build a lot of things for me. There is usually a missing dependency listed in the build log. I can install it then re-try the Sourcery build. Not the case for libgtop. If anyone wants me to test Sourcery on my machine, I'll be happy post any and all error messages and build logs, but at the time I didn't feel that I needed to ask for any help.
That doesn't make sense. All that sourcery does is automate the process of downloading/building/installing. If you can do it manually then you can do it with sourcery.
Tim CowChip wrote:I am curious as to why glibc-solibs is in the repository at all if "There is absolutely nothing that requires glibc-solibs"
Other than there might be a few people that wouldn't want the full glibc package installed in order to save some MBs from their hard disk space, it's of no use at all.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

I just removed then re-installed glibtop with Sourcery, proving your point. I don't remember why it wouldn't build initially.
I also removed and re-excluded glibc-solibs with Gslapt and gdesklets still works, so my apologies, if I seemed argumentative.

I have found a solution to my weather app for a minimalist window manager problem

http://opensource.hld.ca/trac.cgi/wiki/CurseTheWeather

Code: Select all

terminal -e "ctw usor0057"
ImageImage