Tribler

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
Zievatron

Tribler

Post by Zievatron »

I'd like to find in the package manager torrent client Tribler
http://dl.tribler.org/download.html
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Tribler

Post by gapan »

Lots of other torrent clients to choose from.
Zievatron

Post by Zievatron »

Which clients perform research, such as Tribler?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

What do you mean research? Research is what scientists do, not what a torrent client does.
Zievatron

Post by Zievatron »

I meant to search among the many available torrent files.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Looked interesting,tried building it, gave up!
Building the Tribler package itself wasn't much of a problem, just a repackaging of the Debian package a la Arch AUR. It packaged and installed without problems, but needed some dependencies to run. One is apsw which is not available either by slapt-get or slapt-src. Tried building it but it requires SQlite 3.7.10 or higher. That's where I gave up.
You could try to run the Windows binary under wine. It seems work, but I'm no expert in file sharing.
Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Zievatron

Post by Zievatron »

O.K. It is not important that both Tribler.
There is another who does the research?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:What do you mean research? Research is what scientists do, not what a torrent client does.
:mrgreen:
Hey, see this article: http://torrentfreak.com/tribler-makes-b ... wn-120208/ Tribler has researchers ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Looks like an interesting project. But from the sound of the article, it seems as though you can only share with peers who are also using the app. If I'm right about that, it'd be a major drawback - so much so I think I must have misunderstood. I mean the part about the "superpeers" distributing lists of active downloaders.
Shador

Post by Shador »

No, it implements the bittorrent protocol like any other file sharing client. Just on top or more like next to it some other protocol is implemented that allows for searching, trackerless peer discovery, ... So you can leach from and seed to any other user of a client that implements the bittorrent protocol. Only the search, discovery, ... functionality won't be available to the other clients. Not exactly unexpected either as it's not part of the bittorent protocol.
mimosa wrote:I mean the part about the "superpeers" distributing lists of active downloaders.
Imagine you want to join some secret and private group. Members of the group share their contact data among each other. But being not yet part you're lacking that data and so can't get in. To initially get into the group/network, you need some starting point. Those superpeers are members whose contact data is publicly disclosed and if you want to join the group you get other contact data (Peers) from them. Again unrelated to bittorrent compatibility, just an extension.