ROX

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
OU812

ROX

Post by OU812 »

Hello. I chose the full install on my laptop, but I'm thinking of doing a base install on my older desktop. I'd like to use rox + fluxbox since pcmanfm and fluxbox don't play nicely if pcmanfm manages the desktop. Or please point me to a stable package. Thanks for considering!

http://roscidus.com/desktop/ROX-Filer

john

P.S. I wouldn't go crazy with a full-on rox desktop - perhaps the filer, pinboard, roxterm, and a nice app or two.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: ROX

Post by gapan »

Why don't you use pcmanfm, but not let it manage your desktop? That's what I do in e16 and it works great.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Re-reading your post I realize that you probably do want the file manager to manage your desktop. :shock:

In that case, may I suggest nautilus instead? Rox-filer is really fast, but I don't think it has a way of managing removable drives, does it? Anyway, if you look at the rox-filer sourceforge page, you'll find a binary that you can put in /opt and run from there using the provided AppRun script, or you can even get the source tarball which compiles and runs in exactly the same way (running AppRun).
OU812

Post by OU812 »

You're right about the removable media problem. I'll probably go with pcmanfm and have feh or nitrogen manage the backdrops. Thanks.

john
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

OU812 wrote:since pcmanfm and fluxbox don't play nicely if pcmanfm manages the desktop.
This is true. Another option would be openbox+pcmanfm+tint2.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Another option would be openbox+pcmanfm+tint2.
Tried that with !# linux. I'm sorry to say that it didn't do anything for me.

I had fb + pcmanfm + fbpanel for awhile. I customized fb panel to have a few icons and a pager (I got this idea since fbpager seems broken in debian). After awhile I removed fbpanel from fb's startup because I really got into the simplicity of fb.

Great suggestions! Thanks.

john