[done] Avahi - Zeroconf Networking

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
damNageHack

Re: Avahi - Zeroconf Networking

Post by damNageHack »

From the README of Slackbuild from slackbuilds.org
README.SBo (avahi)

First, be sure you have an "avahi" user and group. Do this *before*
you install the avahi package. We recommend uid/gid of 214, but
adjust as needed for your system. Something like this should suffice:

# groupadd -g 214 avahi
# useradd -u 214 -g 214 -c "Avahi User" -d /dev/null -s /bin/false avahi
How to process in salix for this? Is it the job of the user installing the package or should a script do it after installation automatically?

ADD: Same question about this.
Now start the Avahi daemon:

# /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon start

Optionally start the unicast DNS configuration daemon:

# /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidnsconfd start
I guess that it is sufficient to set the +x flag to rc.d scripts to get it run by default. E.g.

Code: Select all

# service start avahidaemon
Starte den avahidaemon Systemdienst
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
# service start avahidnsconfd
Starte den avahidnsconfd Systemdienst
Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD DNS Server Configuration Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-dnsconfd -D
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

damNageHack wrote:How to process in salix for this? Is it the job of the user installing the package or should a script do it after installation automatically?
The user should get a instruction to setup additional users/groups. Add instructions in a README.Slackware file and refer to this file by the slack-desc. See my prosody or cherokke packages as example.
I guess that it is sufficient to set the +x flag to rc.d scripts to get it run by default. E.g.
Yes, this is enough, if you have proper rc scripts.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

The file is called README.SBo in the avahi sources, so I will give a hint to this one in slack-desc. Makes no sense to provide an additional one (README.Slackware).

In this file both the creation of the new user for the daemon and the service startup of services are explained.

The joke is that the build refuses to start if no user and group were created just before :o
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
prfaasse

Post by prfaasse »

FYI: (from memory, to the best of my knowledge :D )
- you can enable and/or disable the Qt3 (and Qt4 support) in the ./configure part of the avahi
build: --enable-qt3/--enable-qt4, similar disable... see ./configure --help for details.
- As far as i know, Qt3/4 support is optional: with it you can browse the 'url' 'zeroconf:/' in konqueror, i know
of no other place where the Qt3/Qt4 support is actively used.
For Kde3, you also have to build/install kdnssd-avahi, and (re-)build/install kdenetwork.
For kde4, the process is less elaborate: avahi-support is 'picked up' in the kde build if avahi is present.
- I never (ok, on zenwalk) had any avahi user and/or group.
in case of panic: scream and run in circles
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

prfaasse, thanks for the tips.

I use the Slackbuild from slackbuilds.org with a few changes.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

prfaasse, for what is this optional mono stuff?
prfaasse

Post by prfaasse »

On the one hand, avahi does a few things 'by itself', such as assigning IP addresses (if no fixed IP given and no dhcp server found). The avahi daemon does most of this work...

On the other hand, avahi allows applications to 'register' services with avahi, which will then be communicated to other avahi-enabled nodes on the local network.

For this 2-nd function, the application must -when programmed- contain some 'function calls' to export to avahi that the application provides some service. The application will be programmed in 'some' programming language. The avahi source provides a number of 'language interfaces' (bindings..): C (of course, avahi's 'native language'), but also python, pygtk, (optionally..) Qt3, Qt4 and a few others.

Mono is one of those. If you'd want to program an application in Mono, and want to use avahi to 'export'/distribute some (network..) services that your application provides, you'd need the Mono language 'bindings'.
in case of panic: scream and run in circles
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Yes but mono is crap and useless. And mono applications are bad.
Just my opinion.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Which mono apps are in salix that can communicate with avahi?

I see no need at the moment to support qt and/or mono in avahi.

ADD: As far as i can understand it then, we can remove python support also because not needed? i thought because python is already installed usually (e.g. because of exaile using it), it does not matter.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

damNageHack wrote:Which mono apps are in salix that can communicate with avahi?
None. :D