Request: PuTTY: A Free Telnet/SSH Client

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
kwisher

Request: PuTTY: A Free Telnet/SSH Client

Post by kwisher »

Putty is a SSH/Telnet client that offers a lot of nice features outside the standard Linux terminal. It is in most major distro's repo's so I was surprised when I could not install it via Gslapt or Sourcery. I was able to install it with SBOPKG.

HomePage: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Downloads: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

Thank you for this consideration.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Request: PuTTY: A Free Telnet/SSH Client

Post by JRD »

Useless for me. Remmina could be used for that. Furthermore you can ssh with any terminal emulator. What do you need putty for on Linux ?
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

JRD wrote:Useless for me. Remmina could be used for that. Furthermore you can ssh with any terminal emulator. What do you need putty for on Linux ?
When you are a network admin with a lot of Linux servers to manage, it is nice to have an application that saves your connection info for you.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Then, simply use Remmina.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

JRD wrote:Then, simply use Remmina.
I simply made a request for a package that is in every major disto's repo's that I have been using for a number of years. If the dev's don't want to make it available in Salix, so be it. I was able to install it via sbopkg so this issue is now mute.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I just simply say that no one wants to package it. So you're free to use the script you found, package it and maintain it yourself for Salix, or use another software.
As it is a package request, I just simply answered it.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

JRD wrote:I just simply say that no one wants to package it. So you're free to use the script you found, package it and maintain it yourself for Salix, or use another software.
As it is a package request, I just simply answered it.
Are you in charge of determining which packages get done for Salix? What is your role with the Salix team? Your response was kind of rude in my opinion.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

kwisher wrote:Are you in charge of determining which packages get done for Salix? What is your role with the Salix team? Your response was kind of rude in my opinion.
Do not worry. The approach of the team, as it seems to me, is that when a package is already available at SBo then in is needless to make the same package with the SLKBUILD script of Salix OS, and also when you already have an application which does the same task then it is needless to make another one available ("one application per task" rationale) unless it is a toolkit issue (i.e. Gtk+ vs. KDE/Qt).

If you want, you may join to the mailing list / bug tracker or to the IRC / XMPP chat rooms and ask for guidelines on how to make an SLKBUILD for PuTTY and the developers will be eager to assist you.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I've got a working package which I will post in the next day or so. It will not get into the 13.37 repo, but I will build and submit a package for 14.0.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Here's a package for 13.37 i486. http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/13.37/putty/0.62/
I no longer have a 13.37 x86 install, so use the SLKBUILD to build a x86 package. You will need to install imagemagick to build the package. Imagemagick is need to convert and re-size the icons.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"