dev packages

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
n49er

dev packages

Post by n49er »

I've decided to give xfce salix 14 a try after being away from slack for a while. Back in the day I did full installs to include development packages as invariably one would be required to compile apps from source. I tried installing stellarium but it needs qt4, and maybe others as the compile ends with a fatal exception after about 20 minutes. I've installed bleachbit, but it needs to be updated, and the update probably requires compiling from source. I was hoping dependency probing would have resolved these, but it appears not (at least installing from source). Is it possible to install development packages without the need to install them individually? BTW, slackbuilds stellarium ends with the same fatal exception.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: dev packages

Post by mimosa »

I just did a quick search of these forums and it seems stellarium has cmake as a build dependency. In general, it's worth looking at the README for dependencies, though I don't think that particular one would normally be mentioned.

As far as I know there's no global solution for development packages, but looking at the output from the failed build is a starting point. In the course of things, you'll soon have them all. One example is jdk rather than jre for java.

The new Sourcery/slapt-src includes some dependency checking, but it's just based on the info provided at slackbuilds.org. The buildscripts are the same (though some broken links to source files have been fixed). The actual Salix repo (Gslapt/slapt-get) has full dependency management, and provides binary packages, as well as access to the Slackware repos. Mileage should be more consistent here. ;)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

n49er wrote:I was hoping dependency probing would have resolved these, but it appears not (at least installing from source).
Build dependencies are not detected by slapt-src.
Is it possible to install development packages without the need to install them individually? BTW, slackbuilds stellarium ends with the same fatal exception.
Maybe try "slapt-get --install-set d". That should get most of them, but will not include things like qt.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

n49er wrote:BTW, slackbuilds stellarium ends with the same fatal exception.
After installing cmake, it built without problems here.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
n49er

Post by n49er »

laprjns wrote:
"Maybe try "slapt-get --install-set d". That should get most of them, but will not include things like qt."

Thanks laprjns, that did the trick. That command does also install qt4, among others.

Perhaps, salix, touted as being "lazy man's slackware", could include this as an option in those versions that don't include it (like xfce) as a default install, something like the option to install hindered codecs.