jags (Just Another Gibbs Sampler)

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
john256

jags (Just Another Gibbs Sampler)

Post by john256 »

I would greatly appreciate if somebody could adapt the Arch Linux PKGBUILD file to be used to with the SalixOS build system to make a package of the Gibbs sampler.

Cheers!
shanek54
Donor

Re: jags (Just Another Gibbs Sampler)

Post by shanek54 »

Hi John256,
I am a new-comer to Salix (but not to packaging for Slackware) and I have made a package of this for you (and anyone else who wants it :-) )

You can find a binary package and a SLKBUILD for both i486 and x86_64 versions here:
http://shanek54.co.uk/salix/packages/JAGS/3.3.0/

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything wrong with the build and I will try and get it rectified as soon as possible.

I have installed both packages on my test machines and they install correctly, but when started up all I see is:
Welcome to JAGS 3.3.0 on Wed Mar 6 20:55:59 2013
JAGS is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Loading module: basemod: ok
Loading module: bugs: ok

I think its looking for an 'R' file or maybe a BUGS syntax file?

Hope this helps,

Shane Kelly
skk - at - shanek54 - dot - co - dot - uk
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Why to tar and untar the manual?
Also source code can download from homepage of jags.
build-JAGS-3.3.0.log report errors on the end about missing libraries.
Name of file log has to be build-pkgname-pkgver-arch-pkgrel.log
Here is also another build
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

Hi djemos,
djemos wrote:Why to tar and untar the manual?
That's just the way I have done it in the past for my packages. It's always worked for me, but your copy method is probably the way I will go in future, as it cuts down on overhead.
djemos wrote:Also source code can download from homepage of jags.
Yes, that's right, but my impression was that the source code should accompany any binary packages - as you have done? Or are you saying that the "source=" line in the SLKBUILD should be pointed to the "official" source?
djemos wrote: build-JAGS-3.3.0.log report errors on the end about missing libraries.
Running depfinder on a package that has been built, but not installed, caused this. After installation, depfinder generates the right ".dep" file
djemos wrote:Name of file log has to be build-pkgname-pkgver-arch-pkgrel.log
Noted, adjusting my script accordingly...
djemos wrote:Here is also another build
Many thanks for this valuable feedback and the link showing the end result. One of the reasons I feel like helping out here is because of this type of help and guidance for newcomers to Salix.

Have a good day,

Shane.
john256

Post by john256 »

Thank you both for the effort! I think I'll go with djemos' solution for now as it appears to build the libraries that are needed for the interaction with R.

I'll report back if something goes wrong.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Yes, that's right, but my impression was that the source code should accompany any binary packages - as you have done? Or are you saying that the "source=" line in the SLKBUILD should be pointed to the "official" source?
The "source=" line in the SLKBUILD should be pointed to the "official" source except when you make a system package e.g. user-settings-*
A copy of source code always should exist on package source folder so anyone can recreate the package.
First install the package to make the package .dep file.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I think the idea is you provide a link to where you actually got it from for transparency (this really is the source code I say it is, unpatched, here, check for yourself) but also a copy in your repo for convenience, reliable availability and with the assurance that that is actually the code you compiled your package from.

This is particularly important where there are snapshots instead of release numbers, see for instance the package for vimprobable2. But it is a universal policy (with the exception mentioned by djemos, which I didn't know).
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

@djemos Thanks, noted on both points.

@mimosa Understood, makes sense...

Valuable feedback, thanks to you both.

Cheers,
Shane.