New versions

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

New versions

Post by thenktor »

We don't want to do package version upgrades in our stable repo unless there is an important reason (security fixes, bugfix only releases, unstable package in the repo, ...). We will go for latest software again in our current repo, which will be created at the time when Slackware's current repo will be more stable again.

This is because we want to provide a stable and not necessarily a bleeding edge distribution :geek:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
SPlissken

Re: New versions

Post by SPlissken »

Agree, but what if for example with pidgin we could not connect to Msn because Msn did a protocol modification and pidgin team release a new version to fix this ?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

SPlissken wrote:Agree, but what if for example with pidgin we could not connect to Msn because Msn did a protocol modification and pidgin team release a new version to fix this ?
1. Pidgin is a package provided by slackware. So, if an update is needed, they will do it there.
2. Generally, if a package stops working, then a new version is a very important bugfix release and will be upgraded anyway.
tommcd

Post by tommcd »

gapan wrote: 1. Pidgin is a package provided by slackware. So, if an update is needed, they will do it there.
What about a package like Transmission?
Transmission is not part of Slackware. It is a standard part of Salix though. (That is, it is standard with a full install anyway.)
There is a slackbuild for Transmission at slackbuilds.org though.

So what is your policy on packages like Transmission? That is, what is your policy on providing updates for packages in the stable releases of Salix for packages that are standard on Salix (full install) but that are not standard packages on Slackware?
I mention this because there are frequent updates for Transmission. The latest stable version is 2.01.
Last edited by tommcd on 20. Jul 2010, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

tommcd wrote:So what is your policy on packages like Transmission? That is, what is your policy on providing updates for packages in the stable releases of Salix for packages that are standard on Salix (full install) but tat are not standard packages on Slackware?
I mention this because there are frequent updates for Transmission. The latest stable version is 2.01.
See post #1.
tommcd

Post by tommcd »

gapan wrote: See post #1.
OK, thanks Gapan. I just wanted to know if this also applied to those packages that are not standard on Slackware, but are standard on Salix.
If you are aiming to provide an easy to use system with the same rock solid stability that Slackware is famous for, then I suppose this is a good way to handle package upgrades on the stable releases.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Just to add a note : I use the latest Transmission on my home. It's easy if you want bleeding edge version : just use the SLKBUILD provided in the /usr/src/package-name (if it's a Salix package), change the version number and compile it with "slkbuild -X". Most of the time it just works.
You can also search for additionnal repositories for updated packages (without any garantee however).
For exemple, mine in http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix that you can add in your slapt-getrc.
There are others around...

But the official packages of Salix is aiming to be stable and well-tested. Bleeding-edge has aften a cost. By the way, the release cycle of Salix/Slackware seems fast enough to have quite the latest packages to my opinion.
tommcd

Post by tommcd »

OK thanks JRD. I will give that a try.

Is there a list of these extra third party Salix repositories somewhere?
tommcd

Post by tommcd »

I ran the slackbuild for transmission found in /usr/src/transmission with the latest version of transmission and it worked fine. Thanks for the info! I am now running transmission 2.03.
By the way, the latest (and hopefully greatest) version of transmission is now 2.03. Transmission is updated so frequently I have a hard time keeping up.

I also had to blacklist transmission in the slapt-getrc file, otherwise slapt-get would try to reinstall the repository version.
timatou

Post by timatou »

Just a question:
Do you know when you will upgrade the lxde's packages?
I'm waiting for the new version of PCManFM.