[SOLVED] Chromium or Chrome?

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: [SOLVED] Chromium or Chrome?

Post by mimosa »

@Retriever

No problem requesting a package - that's what this board is for. As it happens, Chromium is quite a tricky one to do, and since Alien Bob's package is easily available, that seemed the best suggestion. Then the discussion drifted, as can happen. I felt it was important to respond to the suggestion of adding an extra repository to gslapt, in my view a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and about as destructive.

The forum acts as a corpus of problems and solutions for people to search through in the future (always a good thing to do before posting about your problem, which may already have been solved), so it is important to give the best advice possible. In this case, your presumably have Chromium, and I was responding to the subsequent discussion, for the benefit of other users who may not be familiar with the style of Slackware package management. In Ubuntu and Arch, for instance, you have repositories of varying degrees of reliability, and the core repos aren't that stable themsleves. That means a different approach and habits make sense.
retriever

Post by retriever »

mimosa - You have always been very helpful and kind to me and I appreciate that. I know that there are risks with adding software, I just wanted someone who is experienced in vetting and adding additions to the current repositories.

I like Salix a lot, but I am obviously too inexperienced to fully utilize it's capabilities. Therefore, I will have to find another distro that I am happy with.

Thanks for everything,
Retriever
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

But Retriever, you're doing fine with it! In this case, you requested a package and presumably installed it. You are also making very good use of the forum as you feel your way with Linux and Salix.

All this talk about "stability" and things being "dangerous" may sound alarming, but it's nothing that should trouble you. If you do get a broken system, nothing really bad will happen: you can fix it, or in the worst case, back up your data and reinstall. The reason people care about avoiding it is because it's tiresome to have to do that. Slackware's stability means it is less likely to happen.

Perhaps the main thing to understand is that my last post but one wasn't really directed at you at all - I was posting "for the record".

I would say two of Salix's strong points are the stability of its repositories (you are much less likely to encounter broken packages than in some other distros) and the quality of the advice available within the community. There may be differing views, but discussion is there to provide balance. Whichever distibution you use, the final judgement has to be yours. That's what Linux is all about.

I do very much hope you will continue with Salix.
retriever

Post by retriever »

mimosa - I will continue with Salix. The community has been very helpful and I do understand the philosophy behind the decisions that are made here. I appreciate your support.

Thanks again,
Retriever :D
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Please don't hesitate to request any other packages you may need in future. It may not always prove possible to provide them, but the team will do its best to help.

Please note that such packages won't generally be added to the repositories, which are updated once per release cycle to ensure the greatest possible stability; but if someone builds the package you've asked for, they will provide a link to it here for manual installation. Then it will probably be included in the repos for the next Salix release.

EDIT

The important point for less experienced users to take away from this discussion is this: don't mess with the package repositories unless you know what you are doing. In an important sense, a Linux distribution *is* its repositories, so if you change them, you are no longer running Salix, but Salix "plus" something else. There's nothing wrong with that in itself, but it's not a decision to be taken lightly or without a thorough understanding of the principles behind said other repository. If in doubt, you probably need more information or experience before taking such a step.
aaditya

Post by aaditya »

If anyone wants to delete my responses that are not appropriate, I wont mind.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Not at all, they're part of the thread :)
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

aaditya wrote:If anyone wants to delete my responses that are not appropriate, I wont mind.
Web Lesson #1: Although no one knows you're a dog, your paw prints never, ever go away (and your puppies <will> read them years later :)
Last edited by ElderDryas on 21. May 2014, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
aaditya

Post by aaditya »

Tnx guys ;)
john256

Post by john256 »

mimosa wrote:@Retriever

No problem requesting a package - that's what this board is for. As it happens, Chromium is quite a tricky one to do, and since Alien Bob's package is easily available, that seemed the best suggestion. Then the discussion drifted, as can happen. I felt it was important to respond to the suggestion of adding an extra repository to gslapt, in my view a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and about as destructive.

I have found ruario's latest-chrome script particularly useful when dealing with google-chrome. Once in a while I just do

Code: Select all

fakeroot ./latest-chrome
from within the directory where the script has been saved (don't forget to make it executable!), and if a new release is available it gets downloaded and repacked in /tmp/ ready to use :D