[SOLVED] Chromium or Chrome?

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
aaditya

Re: Chromium or Chrome?

Post by aaditya »

@retriever, I forget to mention, to upgrade the package to a newer version when it comes out, you can similarly download the new version from Alien Bob's repo, and do:

Code: Select all

spkg -u chromium-<new-version>.txz
to upgrade the package.
;-)
retriever

Re: [SOLVED] Chromium or Chrome?

Post by retriever »

Dear Community - Someone has updated the repositories and Chromium is included. I don't know what to say - but thank you. This kind of support is not available in the big distros. I really appreciate it and I did try to do it on my own. I went to the blog and read a lot, but even that was a little complex for me, especially the part of becoming root, as it has changed. My stupidity is not an excuse, and I am learning, so thank you as well for allowing me to. I appreciate you all. I just want Salix at the top of Distrowatch! :D
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

@ retriever

With 14.1, Salix now uses sudo, just like Ubuntu ;) Up to 14.0.1, you could become the root user using the command su, which prompts for the root password. Then you carry on as root user till going back to your normal user by typing exit (or use Ctrl-d).

Now you type

sudo <some command needing root privileges>
and you will be prompted for the normal user's password. If you want to execute a second command with root privileges, you need to put sudo at the beginning every time, though you will not be asked for the password again for a few minutes.

However, if you like, you can do

sudo su
as suggested above, and this makes you into root till you type exit to return to normal, just like the old way except you still only need the normal user's password.

You will notice the prompt changes from $ to #, to remind you which user you are. As a general principle, it is best to relinquish root privileges as soon as you no longer need them, to reduce the chances of unintentionally carrying out some dangerous action.

I think there is some information about this in section 4.1 of the Salix Startup Guide, on command line usage.
retriever

Post by retriever »

mimosa - I had a feeling you helped me out. ;) I appreciate it and I will take some notes. Thank you again for being there to help. :D
retriever

Post by retriever »

Okay, now Chromium is not in the repositories anymore. I'm confused as to why. :?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It never was. I wonder why you think it was.
aaditya

Post by aaditya »

Retriever, perhaps there are other methods, like adding repos to Gslapt.
For example, I added the following repository to Gslapt, after reading http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5251:
slackonly wrote:Hi!
I just start a project to make all slackbuilds in packages in a repository (later i will add and dependencies support!)
If you have time just look my site http://slackonly.com/pub/packages/14.1-x86_64/
At the current time i have finish desktop and multimedia section.
My aim is at the same time simultaneously making and dependencies for the packages and testing to my pc to make sure all working good.
Any comments or suggestion is highly appreciated...
Thanks...
In this repository chromium was present..
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It is not advised to mess with the included repsotories in Gslapt, unless you really know what you are doing; and if you are inclined to do that, you probably don't. The whole point of a distribution's repositories is they come tested and guaranteed. Some distros may not be too careful about that, but so much the worse for them.

It is certainly not a good approach to getting an individual package you can't find in the repos. In that case, much better to download and manually install one particular package whose provenance you have reason to be confident about.

Adding a whole other repository is very likely to break your system, because those packages haven't been built and tested against the other ones in the Salix repositories.

EDIT

In this case, looking at that link, someone claims to be in the process of doing so for a number of packages (as a Work In Progress, with dependencies to come in the future). But this is a project from outside the Salix team, without the quality assurance and procedures intended to guarantee the consistent standard of Salix packages. Such an outside repoisitory may prove its worth as a source of extra packages for judicious one-off manual instsallation; but to incorporate it within an installed Salix system's package management would mean watering down the latter and, almost certainly, introducing errors in dependency handling, even if not in actual packages. This would lead to problems beyond the ability of an inexperienced user to handle, aka a broken system. On the other hand, an experienced user should have no trouble building the packages from source, and dealing with all the same depe3ndency issues.
aaditya

Post by aaditya »

mimosa wrote:It is not advised to mess with the included repsotories in Gslapt, unless you really know what you are doing; and if you are inclined to do that, you probably don't. The whole point of a distribution's repositories is they come tested and guaranteed. Some distros may not be too careful about that, but so much the worse for them.

It is certainly not a good approach to getting an individual package you can't find in the repos. In that case, much better to download and manually install one particular package whose provenance you have reason to be confident about.

Adding a whole other repository is very likely to break your system, because those packages haven't been built and tested against the other ones in the Salix repositories.

EDIT

In this case, looking at that link, someone claims to be in the process of doing so for a number of packages (as a Work In Progress, with dependencies to come in the future). But this is a project from outside the Salix team, without the quality assurance and procedures intended to guarantee the consistent standard of Salix packages. Such an outside repoisitory may prove its worth as a source of extra packages for judicious one-off manual instsallation; but to incorporate it within an installed Salix system's package management would mean watering down the latter and, almost certainly, introducing errors in dependency handling, even if not in actual packages. This would lead to problems beyond the ability of an inexperienced user to handle, aka a broken system. On the other hand, an experienced user should have no trouble building the packages from source, and dealing with all the same depe3ndency issues.
Will keep that in mind.
retriever

Post by retriever »

My whole point in starting this thread was to request that a package (in this case Chromium) be added to the gslapt repository. I can't imagine that it would be that difficult for someone on the team to do. Like I said, I was burning an ISO for a friend who likes Chromium. That is all. From now on I will just use what is currently in the repository instead of requesting a change.

Thanks to all who responded.
retriever