Torbrowser updated

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
jsfarinet

Torbrowser updated

Post by jsfarinet »

Starting Torbrowser since i couple of days i'm prompted by the msg that Torbrowser is updated. Now, considering the general advice i got here probably it's correct to wait for the updated slackware source instead of installing it from the tor site ... (?)

If so as i presume, could i gently request for the new tarball?

Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Torbrowser updated

Post by gapan »

Actually, although I never used it, I believe the recommended way to use the tor browser is to get the binary from their webpage, extract its contents somewhere in your system (anywhere) and run it from there. This way it will always stay up to date.

Also, torbrowser as well as any other SlackBuild, is not maintained by salix, but by the slackbuilds.org community. So, we are not the ones to upgrade it or anything else.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

gapan wrote:Actually, although I never used it, I believe the recommended way to use the tor browser is to get the binary from their webpage, extract its contents somewhere in your system (anywhere) and run it from there. This way it will always stay up to date.

Also, torbrowser as well as any other SlackBuild, is not maintained by salix, but by the slackbuilds.org community. So, we are not the ones to upgrade it or anything else.
Ok. Just a question to better understand how things are working:

What Gslapt shows up refers to the official Salix repositories.
And there you should *NOT* install packages other than those customized. Therefore you advised strongly against installing a fluxbox tarball from their website instead of the slackbuild.

What Sourcery shows refers to the slackbuild communities.
There on the other hand, would be no harm to install a tarball from, in this case, the tor website instead of those of the slackbuild community (in sourcery there is a build for torbrowser (and even tor - the latter with slightly different built-in options than, e.g. the debian build (debian-tor)).

Grosso modo correct view?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Not really. This is a special case. Another example is virtualbox - it is easier by far to just download the binary from their site.

Obviously in the case of the tor browser, you need to be particularly careful what you are downloading is genuine. But in both cases the point is it is a trusted source and you know what you are doing.

Some purists might set the bar a lot higher on both counts. But there is no point using tor unless you trust its developers, whether that is because you have delved into its open source inner workings to see for yourself, or for some other reason.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

jsfarinet wrote:Starting Torbrowser since i couple of days i'm prompted by the msg that Torbrowser is updated. Now, considering the general advice i got here probably it's correct to wait for the updated slackware source instead of installing it from the tor site ... (?)

If so as i presume, could i gently request for the new tarball?

Thanks.
Binaries are here
tor-browser-4.0.2 x86_64 i686

source

To build the package for x86_64 en-US run

Code: Select all

fakeroot slkbuild -X

for 32 bit run

arch=i686 fakeroot slkbuild -X

for other languages run e.g for italian x86_64