Cone - console based email software

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
hakerdefo

Cone - console based email software

Post by hakerdefo »

Here is the official description,
"Cone is a text-based mail client. Cone seamlessly handles multiple POP3, IMAP accounts, and local mail folders. Cone is also a simple newsreader. Cone's interface is foolproof enough to be used by inexperienced users, but it also offers advanced features for power users."
There are not many console or terminal based email clients out there. Mutt is a bit complicated to configure and Alpine doesn't have a straight-forward way to manage multiple email accounts so availibility of Cone in Salix repo will be a good thing.
Here is the link to the homepage of Cone,
http://www.courier-mta.org/cone/
Cheers!!!
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Cone - console based email software

Post by djemos »

There is here the x86_64 package
To build the i486 package download the SLKBUILD
then

Code: Select all

mkdir cone
cp SLKBUILD cone
cd cone
fakeroot slkbuild -X
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

Thanks djemos for your quick help! I'm using Salix 14 XFCE 32 bit version and unfortunately Cone won't compile. I also tried to compile older version of Cone (0.89) and it fails with the exact same error. I'm not an expert but I think there is some kind of conflict between Cone code and the version of gcc on Salix 14.
I'm posting the part of the build log where error occurs. The build log I'm providing is of Cone 0.89 as the 0.90 also fails with the exact same error.

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.   -Wall -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I.. -I./..  -I../libmail -I./../libmail  -O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686 -MT myserver.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/myserver.Tpo -c -o myserver.o myserver.C
myserver.C: In static member function ‘static bool myServer::eventloop(myServer::Callback*)’:
myserver.C:168:6: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[4]: *** [myserver.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/hakerdefo/cone/src/cone-0.89/cone'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/hakerdefo/cone/src/cone-0.89/cone'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hakerdefo/cone/src/cone-0.89/cone'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hakerdefo/cone/src/cone-0.89'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Any further insight into this is highly appreciated!
Cheers!!!
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I confirmed your error in a 14.0 32bit xfce Virtual Machine. It's a bug in in the gcc version (4.7.1) used in 14.0. I built this package using djemos' SLKBUILD on the 14.1 VM .

http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/cone/ ... 86-1dj.txz

It installed and ran without problems on the 14.0 VM . Give it a shot. Just download it and install uasing spkg -i as root

# spkg --install cone-0.90-i486-1dj.txz
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

Thanks a ton laprjns!!! The package you provided installed without a glitch and it works like a charm!
Thanks to you and djemos Salix users have now a very good, easy to configure, and extremely lightweight email client available for them.
It will be great if repo admin can add the 32 and 64 bit packages of Cone to official Salix repo.
Thanks again and keep up the great work!
Cheers!!!
Atip

Post by Atip »

Installed in Salix-14.1 xfce4 32bit

When I press w (write a message) cone freezes and cpu use surges to 100 %.
Htop shows it is /usr/libexec/cone causing it.

What could be the probem?
tessi

Post by tessi »

Hi,

I installed cone.I did not set it because i was stuck to certificate.Instead,on "List Folders> Online Tutorial> Write Messages Screen":

Pressing W opens the “Write Message” screen. This is the screen where a new message can be typed, and sent. Cone checks for any unfinished messages in the Draft folder, before opening this screen. If the Draft folder contains any messages, Cone offers an option to resume writing an unfinished message, instead of starting a new message. Cone automatically saves a backup copy of the current message being edited, at regular intervals, so that a backup copy can be recovered in the event that Cone is interrupted, or terminated, in a middle of editing a new message. If a backup copy exists, Cone announces the existence of an interrupted message, and prompts to resume writing the interrupted message. An interrupted message must be opened and either: sent, explicitly cancelled, or saved in the Draft folder; before another message can be written.
Maybe an older message unfinished or interrupted causing problems?
Atip

Post by Atip »

tessi wrote:Hi,

I installed cone.I did not set it because i was stuck to certificate.Instead,on "List Folders> Online Tutorial> Write Messages Screen":

Pressing W opens the “Write Message” screen. This is the screen where a new message can be typed, and sent. Cone checks for any unfinished messages in the Draft folder, before opening this screen. If the Draft folder contains any messages, Cone offers an option to resume writing an unfinished message, instead of starting a new message. Cone automatically saves a backup copy of the current message being edited, at regular intervals, so that a backup copy can be recovered in the event that Cone is interrupted, or terminated, in a middle of editing a new message. If a backup copy exists, Cone announces the existence of an interrupted message, and prompts to resume writing the interrupted message. An interrupted message must be opened and either: sent, explicitly cancelled, or saved in the Draft folder; before another message can be written.
Maybe an older message unfinished or interrupted causing problems?
This is a newly installed, virgin "cone". No messages were ever written since cone hangs when
pressing "w".
Atip

Post by Atip »

Atip wrote:Installed in Salix-14.1 xfce4 32bit

When I press w (write a message) cone freezes and cpu use surges to 100 %.
Htop shows it is /usr/libexec/cone causing it.

What could be the probem?
SOLVED ;-)

spkg -d cone

Swim or sink :D