HPlip

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
Post Reply
geront
Posts: 9
Joined: 3. Jan 2016, 20:20

HPlip

Post by geront » 3. Jan 2016, 21:22

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

This package is necessary for lot of HP printers (not only for my "multifunction"). HP provide preconfigured packages for main distros, unfortunately no for Salix (resp. Slackware). Will bee this package in near future? (Salix is really very nice, but without printing rather unusable for me.) Thanks.
-------
Sorry...my English....

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5523
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: HPlip

Post by gapan » 3. Jan 2016, 22:39

We certainly have an hplip package in the repos. It is even installed in a default FULL installation, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Since you are new, I recommend reading the startup guide, linked from the main page, especially the part about package management.
Image
Image

geront
Posts: 9
Joined: 3. Jan 2016, 20:20

Re: HPlip

Post by geront » 4. Jan 2016, 00:10

gapan wrote:We certainly have an hplip package in the repos. It is even installed in a default FULL installation, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Since you are new, I recommend reading the startup guide, linked from the main page, especially the part about package management.
I know how to setup ordinary printer in Linux (via CUPS) and I have full installation of Salix 14.1. But preinstaled HPlip and "HPlip" on HP web are two different things. Lot of newer HP printers require "plugin" (and not only "ordinary driver in CUPS") which is installable only by HP application package mentioned above. Without this type of installation printer do not work and built-in scanner is invisible. (This HP application also install support for built-in scanner in multifunction printer.)

In Debian Jessie everything is working without problems. But there is not preconfigured package for Slacware and installation "by hand" is very difficult for newbies (for me practically impossible).

Please look at this:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install.html
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... kware.html
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... other.html

User avatar
ChuangTzu
Donor
Posts: 339
Joined: 19. May 2015, 23:34

Re: HPlip

Post by ChuangTzu » 4. Jan 2016, 03:29

geront,

You could always download the package you are referring to, create a slkbuild and install the package on your system.
http://guide.salixos.org/324spkg.html
http://guide.salixos.org/325MakingaPack ... BUILD.html
http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/ ... h_slkbuild
http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/New_to_Packaging

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5523
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: HPlip

Post by gapan » 6. Jan 2016, 14:47

geront wrote:But preinstaled HPlip and "HPlip" on HP web are two different things.
No. Just no. They are exactly the same thing.
geront wrote:Lot of newer HP printers require "plugin" (and not only "ordinary driver in CUPS") which is installable only by HP application package mentioned above. Without this type of installation printer do not work and built-in scanner is invisible. (This HP application also install support for built-in scanner in multifunction printer.)
Are you talking about hp-setup?
Image
Image

geront
Posts: 9
Joined: 3. Jan 2016, 20:20

Re: HPlip

Post by geront » 7. Jan 2016, 17:15

geront wrote:Lot of newer HP printers require "plugin" (and not only "ordinary driver in CUPS") which is installable only by HP application package mentioned above. Without this type of installation printer do not work and built-in scanner is invisible. (This HP application also install support for built-in scanner in multifunction printer.)
Are you talking about hp-setup?[/quote]

I found this...http://hplipopensource.com/node/309 ...and printing is working. (But scanner not.)

User avatar
laprjns
Salix Warrior
Posts: 1034
Joined: 28. Aug 2009, 01:30
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: HPlip

Post by laprjns » 8. Jan 2016, 00:15

geront wrote:HP provide preconfigured packages for main distros, unfortunately no for Salix (resp. Slackware).
Salix / Slackware does provide the hplip package, In fact as gapan pointed out it is included in a full installation of any of the various Salix versions.`
geront wrote: I know how to setup ordinary printer in Linux (via CUPS) and I have full installation of Salix 14.1. But preinstaled HPlip and "HPlip" on HP web are two different things. Lot of newer HP printers require "plugin" (and not only "ordinary driver in CUPS") which is installable only by HP application package mentioned above. Without this type of installation printer do not work and built-in scanner is invisible. (This HP application also install support for built-in scanner in multifunction printer.)
The hplip package provided by Salix includes both the hp-setup and hp-plugins. After installing the hplip package,

Code: Select all

rich[~]$ hp-
hp-align               hp-diagnose_plugin     hp-info                hp-pkservice           hp-query               hp-timedate
hp-check               hp-diagnose_queues     hp-levels              hp-plugin              hp-scan                hp-uninstall
hp-clean               hp-doctor              hp-linefeedcal         hp-pqdiag              hp-sendfax             hp-unload
hp-colorcal            hp-fab                 hp-logcapture          hp-print               hp-setup               hp-upgrade
hp-config_usb_printer  hp-faxsetup            hp-makecopies          hp-printsettings       hp-systray             hp-wificonfig
hp-devicesettings      hp-firmware            hp-makeuri             hp-probe               hp-testpage          
Which as you can see includes the hp-plugin.

What may be of issue is that your printer model is relatively new and is not supported by the hplip version currently available in the Salix /Slackware repo. The current version in the repo is 3.10.11 and the HP site has 3.15.11.

User avatar
gapan
Salix Wizard
Posts: 5523
Joined: 6. Jun 2009, 17:40

Re: HPlip

Post by gapan » 8. Jan 2016, 13:31

laprjns wrote:What may be of issue is that your printer model is relatively new and is not supported by the hplip version currently available in the Salix /Slackware repo. The current version in the repo is 3.10.11 and the HP site has 3.15.11.
Actually the version in our repo was 3.13.11. I just upgraded it to the latest one, which is 3.15.11. You should get it as soon as your mirror syncs.
Image
Image

User avatar
laprjns
Salix Warrior
Posts: 1034
Joined: 28. Aug 2009, 01:30
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: HPlip

Post by laprjns » 8. Jan 2016, 23:58

laprjns wrote:he current version in the repo is 3.10.11...
Oops, my bad, typo :oops:

Post Reply