broadcom-wl (Broadcom STA)

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
beranger

Re: broadcom-wl (Broadcom STA)

Post by beranger »

Eeach time you update your kernel and reboot the machine akmod will generate the new packages needed for the new kernel. Have you ever tried to get informed on the difference between a kmod and an akmod? An akmod triggers a recompilation without needing interaction from the user.

As for the non-existence of a stable binary API (ABI) in the kernel, you know who's the one to blame: Greg Kroah-Hartman.
Last edited by gapan on 12. Apr 2010, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no need to start name calling
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

beranger wrote:An akmod triggers a recompilation without needing interaction from the user
Yes and this will work ONLY if the API has not changed, else it will just fail.

Salix packages use SLKBUILD files, that are really easy to recompile, even for a newbie. I rather prefer this solution (running "slkbuild -X" and "upgradepkg xxx") than a solution that will fail silently and is defect by design.

About Hartman, he's not at all to blame, but the inverse.
Please consider to watch the whole video of Hartman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2SED6sewRw) explaining how and why the kernel is developped like this. And this is the only good way to do it.
beranger

Post by beranger »

Incremental updates of the kernel (not like upgrading from 2.6.18 to 2.6.32) should NOT involve such tremendous API changes as to break existing drivers. Common-sense logic says that not even recompilation should be done, but in Linux land this is not the case. After 25 years of computing, I am constantly tempted to say that the bloated Windows is developed with much more common sense than Linux/BSD: I have a SD reader driver built for Windows XP that works very well in Windows 7! (The Win7 version reads greater storage capacities, otherwise it wasn't a necessary upgrade.)

Now, if a binary (ABI) compatibility is not possible (not desired by Greg K-H), why isn't even an API downward compatibility possible?

(snip)

So no, akmod is not broken by design. This is how everything should be, especially for an enterprise OS/distro.

As a last note: I never watch videos, podcasts, videocasts. If someone has something to say, he better be using a text/HTML/PDF or other document format to express his ideas. I am not a YouTube guy.
Last edited by gapan on 13. Apr 2010, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Strike 2. Insults are not going to be tolerated anymore.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

@beranger

please refrain from insulting other people in your posts. This behavior will not be tolerated in these forums. I have edited your previous post to remove such comments.
beranger

Post by beranger »

Is SalixOS a fully subsidiary of the Linux kernel team, of Greg K-H, or of the Censorship and Propaganda Committee of the Communist Party?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Seems you won't calm down. Nothing this topic has to offer anymore. Locked.