Forum upgrade notification

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Forum upgrade notification

Post by gapan »

An upgrade to the forum software has been long overdue. I'm planning to perform the upgrade on Wednesday, March 14, at around 07:00 GMT. The forum will probably be down for about an hour or so.

Since the the theme we're currently using is not compatible with the new phpbb version, I have created a new one. So it will look a bit different than it does now. Here's a screenshot:
http://people.salixos.org/gapan/img/for ... _3.2.2.png

I'm not expecting anything to go wrong, I have already performed the upgrade on a backup server, so hopefully everything will be back to normal soon after the upgrade.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Forum upgrade notification

Post by gapan »

And we're back! :)
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Looks good!
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Not sure if it's because I've been using mobile devices this week but the Active Topics link is buried under a Quick links menu. Is this how it appears on laptops and desktops?
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laprjns wrote: 15. Mar 2018, 10:54 Not sure if it's because I've been using mobile devices this week but the Active Topics link is buried under a Quick links menu. Is this how it appears on laptops and desktops?
Yes. I'll see if I can put it back where it was.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Better now? I put it on the right side next to Notifications and Private Messages.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Yes, much better. Thanks
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I also missed unread topics (my normal way of looking) though if you put that up there too, it may start to look a little cluttered.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

OK, so I've put that up there too. I think it's OK on big screens. On small ones, like mobile phones, maybe it's a bit confusing as the text disappears and you get two similar looking icons, one blue and one red, but I guess you can get used to it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks - entirely your call. I could always bookmark it, and I think I am the only one who uses it. The reason I do is to see foreign-language posts, which I think don't appear in active topics. French is a particular concern, because a lot of people there really don't speak English that well.