Privoxy? (an ad blocker)

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
dpeirce

Privoxy? (an ad blocker)

Post by dpeirce »

Could y'all consider putting Privoxy in your repository? Privoxy intercepts ads before they appear in your browser, and thereby speeds up web surfing and makes accessed web pages look much nicer. It makes surfing much more pleasant.

So, please please??

I did find a privoxy package at slacklinux.darkbb.com; however, your wiki seemed to discourage using packages from anywhere but your repository so I've been afraid to download it.

Code: Select all

Sourceforge description:

Privoxy is a non-caching web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for enhancing privacy, modifying web page data and HTTP headers, controlling access, and removing ads and other obnoxious Internet junk. ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/ijbswa/ )

Privoxy home page: http://www.privoxy.org/

Source:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ijbswa/files/Sources/3.0.16%20(stable)/privoxy-3.0.16-stable-src.tar.gz/download
In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Privoxy? (an ad blocker)

Post by gapan »

Why not use an ad block plugin for your browser?
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

I use Opera mostly, but also Firefox, Chrome, and Dillo, and any other new ones I see. I need one ad blocker which works for all of them. Privoxy intercepts ads for any browser, and isn't limited to one browser as is the AdBlocker extension for Firefox. It even works for Internet Explorer - if one is using Wine or a virtualizer.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

BTW, I had checked the box to receive an email notice for any reply, but I didn't receive notice of your post. I also didn't receive the confirmation email when I registered and had to be registered manually. ?????
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

dpeirce wrote:I use Opera mostly, but also Firefox, Chrome, and Dillo, and any other new ones I see. I need one ad blocker which works for all of them. Privoxy intercepts ads for any browser, and isn't limited to one browser as is the AdBlocker extension for Firefox. It even works for Internet Explorer - if one is using Wine or a virtualizer.
I can see there is a slackbuild for it, so you can use that to create a package: http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.0/network/privoxy/
dpeirce wrote:BTW, I had checked the box to receive an email notice for any reply, but I didn't receive notice of your post. I also didn't receive the confirmation email when I registered and had to be registered manually. ?????
Check your spam folder. Perhaps your spam filter is too strong. Emails get send in any case.
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

Gapan, thanks for your responses.

1) I don't have a spam folder; in fact, I don't use a spam filter . I am invisible enough that I only get one to three spams a day and so everything goes through my in box. I've watched, but nothing from Salix has come through. My email client is Kmail running in PCLOS 2010 on my laptop (Salix runs as a guest in Virtualbox on the tower machine running Mepis 8.5).

2) I have already downloaded a Privoxy package from slacky.eu, if that will serve. It's name is privoxy-3.0.16-i486-1ng.txz. Thunar says that's an archive; I see a bash script named doinst.sh.

Although I have some familiarity with .rpm and .deb packages, and the synaptic and smart pkg managers, I'm brand new with slack stuff. I looked for something in your wiki and faq about package management but didn't find it. I tried '# slapt-get --install privoxy*' from an on line slapt how-to, but the terminal said that file didn't exist. Could you point me to information on how to manage packages in Salix? I badly need to learn how to do this. Thanks.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

to isntall packages manually you have to use the following command as root

Code: Select all

# installpkg nameofpackage.txz
:)
Shador

Post by Shador »

You're provider could have also filtered the message as spam. In that case it wouldn't at all arrive in your inbox.
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

Duncan_Idaho: Thanks!!! Privoxy is installed and working and Opera looks sooooooo much better now. It still would be good to see Privoxy in Salix' own repository.

Shador: Dunno. I do get a few spams, and I get other emails to that mailbox. Why would my ISP pick on Salix? I'll try using an alternate email address for Salix and see if that helps.

Again, thanks Duncan_Idaho. The instruction you gave me looks like what I saw on the Slackware site. Now I know what to study.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dpeirce

Post by dpeirce »

Shapor:

Salix likes my new email address, or my new address likes Salix, dunno which. But I changed my address and this time received the activation email.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
Shador

Post by Shador »

dpeirce wrote:Why would my ISP pick on Salix?
I wasn't specifically talking about your ISP, rather about your email provider, though it might be the same company.
Anyway, the are not picking on Salix. They just use some kind of rules/algorithms to determine spam messages. Sometimes those rules are too aggressive and accidentally pick non-spam mails. Actually it's only a matter of probability any spam filter picks up non-spam mails at some point. That's why you're provider usually filters very reluctantly and uses a more aggressive filter to sort spam mails out into a separate folder.
Just out if interest. What email provider was it?