firefox 4 beta

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

firefox 4 beta

Post by mimosa »

I don't know if you would usually include something like this, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who wouldn't mind trying it out. For one thing, they say it's a lot faster. With my limited experience, I think installing it manually is probably beyond me.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

What automatically comes up for me on this page is

4.0b1 for Linux i686

which no doubt reflects my hardware.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: firefox 4 beta

Post by gapan »

We'll certainly not package it. But why don't you use the binaries from mozilla if you're so interested?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Because last time I tried to install something manually, beginner that I am, I got into an awful mess. Maybe it's time for me to learn how to do this. Curiosity killed the cat. I imagine it won't be too long before the new Firefox comes out of beta, anyway.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There's nothing to install. Mozilla distributes binaries. You just extract them anywhere you want and run them from there.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I did that but when I tried to execute it Firefox 3.6.3 opened. Somehow, it gets sidetracked into the older version. Perhaps the launch script looks for some configuration files in a default location and finds the existing ones, and I think I'd better not start messing with those. At my level of knowledge, I'm probably better off sticking with what's available through the package manager. I was just curious anyway - it won't kill me to wait till it has been released, even if is faster.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That's because you have the old version running. You can't run two different versions at the same time. Close the old one and launch the new.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Ah. Yes, that did it. It's what you don't know you don't know that trips you up, so much of the time.

It really does feel very fast, by the way.
Shador

Post by Shador »

You can also use this switch:

Code: Select all

-no-remote		Open new instance, not a new window in running instance.
Very useful for example too for X forwarding as otherwise only a new window in the local instance is opened instead of a new instance on the remote host. It's only documented for thunderbird but works with firefox fine as well.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'll give that a try, Shador, thanks. However, I must say my mileage opening GUI-based apps from the console has generally not been good. I tend to try to when I want to be root.

Off topic, sorry about the delay replying to your post on bootloaders etc. I thought I'd installed grub2, but in fact just managed to break grub1.x; booting manually for now. Then a load of work arrived. I'll get back to you when I have played with it, maybe over the weekend.
Shador

Post by Shador »

grub 1.96+ is grub2 everything with a version less than 1.00 is grub legacy. Any grub2 version later than 1.96 is pretty stable.
mimosa wrote:However, I must say my mileage opening GUI-based apps from the console has generally not been good. I tend to try to when I want to be root.
What should be the problem. In fact other programs just execute the tools in the same way the console does. You can always add a '&' at the end of the command line to run it in the background. If you close your shell with 'exit' and not by e.g. pressing some button the gui app will even run on. Finally '>/dev/null 2>&1' suppresses every (unwanted) output.