Upgrading from iso...

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
Cann0n

Upgrading from iso...

Post by Cann0n »

I'm on dial-up, so when I went to the library, I downloaded the 13.1 .iso. I mounted the image to /mnt/tmp/salix and cd to it. I'm wondering if it would be a safe method to upgradepkg --install-new */*.t?z in order to upgrade my system. I'm on 64bit with multilib set up. I know i'll have to deal with that mess when it gets here.

Any suggestions before I hit enter tomorrow?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Upgrading from iso...

Post by thenktor »

Yes, this is the right way to do it. Perhaps it's a good idea to upgrade glibc first and I don't know what happens to your multilib setup. I'm quite sure that you have to update it afterwards, too.

Don't forget to run "lilo" after upgrading the packages
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It would be a good idea if after upgrading you connected to the internet for a while and did:

Code: Select all

slapt-get -u
slapt-get --remove-obsolete
to uninstall any packages that have been removed in 13.1. If you have installed any extra packages from the repositories, ones that are not included in a standard installation you'll have to upgrade those manually as well.

Oh, an important note. Do not upgrade the rootuser-settings or zzz-settings packages (inside the salix/settings directory), but do upgrade the user-settings package.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:Oh, an important note. Do not upgrade the rootuser-settings or zzz-settings packages (inside the salix/settings directory), but do upgrade the user-settings package.
Why is it important? I cannot see any bad things in these packages and their post install scripts. Or do I miss something? :?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The rootuser-settings package will replace most of the root user settings to their default values. If the user has changed any of them, the changes will be lost. The zzz-settings package might change the default xinitrc and also revert to the default cursors if the user has changed them.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

OK, nothing bad for me, but perhaps a problem for others :mrgreen: