Redundant pkgs in Gslapt -- how2fix?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
SalmonEater

Redundant pkgs in Gslapt -- how2fix?

Post by SalmonEater »

Redundant pkgs in Gslapt -- are they tied to entries in /var/slapt-get/ ?

Added Local Repository with PREFERRED source and thought I had it all going well, until I went to Gslapt and saw the redundant entries. Also, performed a

Code: Select all

slapt-get --available
and got pkgs listed twice.

Solution and how2, if you please. Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Redundant pkgs in Gslapt -- how2fix?

Post by gapan »

What do you mean redundant? Which packages?
Shador

Post by Shador »

I think he means multiple packages with the same name like e.g.:

Code: Select all

lilo-22.8-x86_64-11tm [inst=Ja]: lilo (Linux Loader)
lilo-22.8-x86_64-15 [inst=Nein]: lilo (Linux Loader)
It's not quite right to call them redundant as no data is stored twice in the repository nor can be derived from other data in the repository (easily).
When installing by package name the versions from the PREFERRED repository are preferred over all other versions. If you want a different version you need to install by pkgname-pkgver.
These multiple entries are no problem for the package management. Lilo for example is absolutely on purpose multiple times there, because we want to provide our own version of it which replaces Slackware's one.
SalmonEater

Post by SalmonEater »

That is correct, Shador -- the same pkg listed twice. Okay, so it's no problem.
It's just a little confusing to a simple mind -- like making me think that pkgs will be installed twice should I choose to install one.
Thanks.
" . . . only when the last fish is caught will these people realize they cannot eat money." -- Cree proverb
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

No, everything is ok this way ;) It give you the ability to install the Slackware version instead of the Salix version of a package. But there are not much of these double packages anyway. E.g. the only difference in our lilo package is the artwork.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Shador

Post by Shador »

If it helps you to understand it a bit better, from my experiences slapt-get behaves like this when installing a package with slapt-get -i <pkgname> and not slapt-get -i <pkgname>-<pkgver....>:
1. Get a list of all packages with pkgname
2. If there are packages from a PREFERRED repository remove all but those from the list, otherwise leave the list as it is.
3. Compare the package version of all the packages in the list and select the newest one like that.
4. Install the only remaining packages. (So only ONE package.)

Of course a lot more happens when you run slapt-get -i too, for example checking if a package with that name is already installed, ...