Pidgin missing bonjour protocol

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
marc

Pidgin missing bonjour protocol

Post by marc »

Howdy,

One of my clients has pidgin installed on Salix 13.1 / LXDE. I would really like to make it possible for this client to connect to our local zeroconf IM-service [bonjour] without any problems, but it turns out that Pidgin in SalixOS repos does not have "bonjour" plugin.
I have already checked other distros in our network and other clients [with other linux distros like Linux Mint] do in fact have "bonjour" client installed.
Is there any *simple*, *not painful* way to add such plugin into existing Pidgin installation?
I've already red some info about ~/.purple/plugins option, but placing libbonjour.so plugin there does not seem to work.

Any suggestions and help will be highly appreciated.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Pidgin missing bonjour protocol

Post by gapan »

You could install avahi and recompile pidgin if you want it that much.
marc

Post by marc »

Thanks. I was hoping for some simple solution though.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

That is a simple solution. :D
marc

Post by marc »

configure: error: The intltool scripts were not found. Please install intltool
Well, I appreciate your sense oh humour, but this tells me opposite ;)

I generally try to avoid any manual compilation, as it almost always raises some ridiculous demands, which I have no time to fulfill.
I'm sure many other users and admins think the same, but not everyone admits it [ambitions maybe?].

Well, I'll have to find some other solution, but it turns out to be a classic PITA.

Regards
Last edited by marc on 16. Jun 2011, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I've never seen an error message that is more helpful than that.
marc

Post by marc »

It's not about the error message itself. It is more about the need of installing more and more tools to comply with even wider demands from the developer's site. Everyone seems to use different toolkits and my system base keeps growing, which I usually don't like, you know ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

marc wrote:It's not about the error message itself. It is more about the need of installing more and more tools to comply with even wider demands from the developer's site. Everyone seems to use different toolkits and my system base keeps growing, which I usually don't like, you know ;)
You already have a working Pidgin on your system, that means you have all deps to run Pidgin.
Salix comes with the most important developer tools that are needed to build packages.
Furthermore Salix packages come with all header files to build stuff, not 1000 additional libxyz-dev packages needed.

So just install intltool, there won't be an ever growing army of more needed packages to build Pidgin.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Btw, intltool is already included in every basic/full installation, so you probably found the time to remove it at some point.
marc

Post by marc »

I'm a package guy, that's all.

PS I've tried to compile it on other linux distro and it generated that message. I simply cannot afford to compile pidgin on low-spec client machine, which acts almost as a thin client ...

Well, looks like I'll have to introduce some SalixOS VMs to manage such situations.

Thanks for your time and help. Now I know the way I should go at least.

Regards!