General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
elohelomg

Post by elohelomg »

I know the devs dont really like skype, but, i was wondering, how does a noobie like me get skype installed on salix?
witek

Re: Skype

Post by witek »

Quite simple: get static version
http://www.skype.com/intl/pl/get-skype/ ... ing.static
Then extract it into one of your folders (or system-wide into /usr/local/skype/ as root). Then make skype binary executable (chmod a+x skype) and run it. You can also symlink /usr/local/skype/skype to /usr/bin/skype in order to make it visible in the system PATH.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Code: Select all

# slapt-src -i skype
should also work. Skype is only available in 32-bits btw.
witek

Post by witek »

First, you have to slapt-get -i slapt-src (at least in 13.1).
Anyway, the method based on downloading static skype is general and will work on every Linux distribution and provides the latest version of skype.
Last edited by witek on 12. Jul 2011, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

... and then slapt-src -u ...
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

With slapt-src you get version 2.2.0.25
There is also a SLKBUILD for latest skype version 2.2.0.35 http://people.salixos.org/djemos/skype/SLKBUILD
download it and then run fakeroot slkbuild -X
Zappus

Post by Zappus »

The way i installed it was

1) Download static package from the website of skype
2) as root move the downloaded package to /opt folder
3) untar it there
4) create a symlink to /usr/bin for easy acces

Code: Select all

su
cd /opt/
wget http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-beta-static
tar xf skype_static-2.2.0.35.tar.bz2
ln -s /opt/skype-2.2.0.35/skype /usr/bin
p.s. Versions might differ with time, as skype might release a new version
Shador

Post by Shador »

Why keep people resurrecting old threads?
hunters wrote:I guess so, but devs don't have any choice because their clients love skype.
elohelomg wrote:I know the devs dont really like skype, but, i was wondering, how does a noobie like me get skype installed on salix?
Yes, we have choice. We believe in freedom so everybody is free to decide as to how he wants to contribute to the project. This doesn't mean we're not open to suggestions quite the opposite. But what is even more welcome given the voluntarity of the project are contributions.

It's right, me and other members of the core team do not like the implications of using skype (regarding privacy and closed protocol). But that's different from not liking Skype or similar software. I'm actually using skype myself to a small extent, but for my part I don't want to and see no need to encourage the use of Skype by simplifying the installation procedure. It's already quite easy anyway. Probably other devs got their reasons too. After all I'm not even sure whether and to what extend and with which restrictions redistribution is allowed by their license.

Would you aggree to replace your mouth and ears with some device that only allows you to communicate with people having access to and allowed to use that same device? On top of that you have not the slighest idea in what for you ununderstandable "language" the communication is transferred and what arrives at the other end.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Shador wrote:Why keep people resurrecting old threads?
Because they are bots, trying to spam their way into the forums. One only had to see the link on its signature. It's amazing how sophisticated they have become. In this case, it took a phrase from a post, reversed its syntax and posted it again! If you really think about it, it doesn't really make sense, the answer to "how does one install skype?" isn't "I guess so...", but it does seem legitimate enough if you just read it on its own. Account+posts deleted.
Shador

Post by Shador »

I've noticed that kind of bots. But I was very far from considering that one a bot. Good catch!

I think those bots in that form are a serious problem. Not so much because of the spam they create. More because they cause distrust as you can't be sure anymore whether you're talking to a human being or a machine that could do anything and is annoying. It's already extremely hard to distinguish them and that increases the risk of deleting or blaming somebody because of supposed spamming/being a bot.

Wow! That sounds like the opponents of robots in those Sci-Fi movies. Has the time come? Scary... :D :o